• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    It's out on itunes today too..!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    Eagle Eye delayed on itunes for unknown reasons (probably some free icrap on the iphone)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008 edited
    Not only do I rave about "AVP:R" and Brian Tyler as the composer who finally "got it right" (beh, forget Harald Kloser), and not only do I treasure "Annapolis" as a hidden gem even better than G.I. Jane, but the score that made me go: "Oh watch out, this guy is here to say, and he's proving he can do serious stuff with gravitas and not just popcorn-action material" was what he did for "Partition".

Check out "Partition", and see why I believe Brian Tyler might eventually be given top-shelf material, the kind that gets the Academy's attention.

Opinions?

J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I like Tyler's music. He has a very distinct personal and recognizable style although getting a bit repetitive nowadays. Bangkok dangerous sounds like WAR toned down a bit, War itself sounds like Tokyo Drift beefed up a bit and so on. I love it ALL and can't wait for EAGLE EYE which i think it'll absolutely rock and i frequently re-visit all of his scores so far, music which really echoes to my tastes. But i truly think he has to find new ways to push the envelope from this points onward...the middle eastern hand-held percussion, the string ostinati and the Zimmer chord processions are starting to get a bit repetitive wink However, i think AVP:R is one of the most massive powerhouse action scores around, a score which screams masculine and bold in each and every note of it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I quite enjoyed Eagle Eye, but preferred Bangkok Dangerous. Both are vastly, vastly, ruinously over-long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Then edit your own disc, always helps wink Me wanna Eagle Eye!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    HeeroJF wrote
    Check out "Partition", and see why I believe Brian Tyler might eventually be given top-shelf material, the kind that gets the Academy's attention.

Opinions?

J-F

My opinion? I couldn´t agree more! wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Southall wrote
    I quite enjoyed Eagle Eye, but preferred Bangkok Dangerous. Both are vastly, vastly, ruinously over-long.

argghhh, I hate overlong albums angry
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    HeeroJF wrote

Actually I take the opposing view - Partition is the perfect example of why he won't. I liked it - I think it's a nice (but far, far too long) album - but it's essentially just one long John Barry knock-off. I think he would need to write that sort of score but make it sound like Brian Tyler and not <insert other composer here> before you could say it's evidence he will move onto really A-grade projects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Hmm... I guess I didn't hear the Barry influence quite as much. If anything I found it much more Horner-influenced. But it didn't bother me as far as appreciating the score (neither did the length). Either way, I might agree to an extent: Tyler HAS found a unique voice in action scores, but not quite yet in softer, serious scores. He still does those like other composers, on that I agree. But at least he's proven he can DO them at all. Marco Beltrami hasn't proven that yet (as much as I adore his stuff).

J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I'm listening to The Greatest Game Ever Played again right now, and I'm reminded again: "Dang this guy is good". So what if he does certain styles like John Debney would? If he can manage to do John Debney better than John Debney does himself, shouldn't that be to his credit?

I think originality is just one of the many facets in which greatness presents itself, and not the only one. If a Herrmann clone came about, for example, I'd judge his/her work based mostly on how good it is, without knocking too many points off for lack of originality.

J-F
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    EAGLE EYE!! IT CAME!! YAY!! biggrin biggrin And I hope it's good as I've had a really crappy day. sad

Going to listen to it after dinner. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    We're waiting for a small review! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    HeeroJF wrote
    Marco Beltrami hasn't proven that yet (as much as I adore his stuff).

J-F

Beltrami HAS proven he can do most of them. He's done action, western, drama (I am Dina, Altar Boys), thriller, horror... The only genre he hasn't really tackled is light comedy, which only fans of John Debney or David Newman would care about.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Billboard.biz interviews Tyler on Eagle Eye:

Take a little Alfred Hitchcock, mix in some Steven Spielberg, and add a killer (literally) car chase scene and what do you get? The Sept. 26 release "Eagle Eye," starring Shia LaBeouf and Michelle Monaghan in a big brother-esque thriller.

Composer Brian Tyler has become known for his intense driving scores in movies like "Constantine," "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" and "Bangkok Dangerous," and with "Eagle Eye" he ups the tension by usings off-kilter instruments alongside a full orchestra.

Billboard talked to Tyler about what it's like to compose things that go bump - and crash, and bang, and boom - in the night.

What was your inspiration for the score?
    What would the music sound like if Hitchcock was doing a movie now and Bernard Herrmann had access to all of these modern [technologies]? We have the modern elements to the score- but then we have the most classical thing: a full-size symphony. It's kind of the same thing with the story of the movie. The movie's got this very classic kind of storytelling style, the man on the run, but its set in a very modern setting.

What kind of instrumentation did you use?
    I play a lot of instruments so I kind of take advantage of that. I've got tons and tons of drums and drum kits, probably 20 guitars, a Steinway and vibrophones and glockenspiels; I was using instruments from Morocco, percussion instruments, we did things like electric cello...and a huge array of taiko drums mixed with marching drums to give it a real kind of sense of propulsion.

The mixing process must be crazy.
    It was incredibly difficult to mix because we had so many tracks. The number of instruments to mix down sometimes would be towards 300. Physically, I would go in and write out every part for every instrument. I think we recorded something like 108 minutes of music. I'm not sure how many pages-it was thousands and thousands of pages of music.

When you first get a script, what do you do?
    I go from more of a songwriting starting point, which is writing the themes, writing the musical ideas. There's a lot of interesting characters [in "Eagle Eye"] and you don't know who they are in the [beginning of the] film, so you want to come up with unique sounds. It's almost like doing a few different albums at once.

How did you decide to get into film music?
    My earliest memory of that would be Star Wars...getting the record and reliving the movie by getting the record. The good thing about film music is that it kind of has a dual life. You have the life of the music and it supports the film...but then it has this other life as the soundtrack, and people can listen to it on its own and it stands on its own - almost like a concept album.

300 instruments?! Now wonder my house is actually shaking as I play this. shocked cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It just came out on iTunes too. smile wink

(Although my CD bit rate wins!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    EAGLE EYE on iTunes

http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.ne … 253D143441

Me wanna!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    elenewton wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Marco Beltrami hasn't proven that yet (as much as I adore his stuff).

J-F

Beltrami HAS proven he can do most of them. He's done action, western, drama (I am Dina, Altar Boys), thriller, horror... The only genre he hasn't really tackled is light comedy, which only fans of John Debney or David Newman would care about.

I stand corrected, however I have been unable to track down a copy of I Am Dina, so I don't know what that sounds like yet. As for Altar Boys, well I really don't care much about that score. But I suddenly remember Land's End and then especially Walking Across Egypt, and realize that Beltrami has indeed scratched the surface the drama genre, just nothing of the sweeping majesty of Partition or, let's say, Goldsmith's Russia House.

As far as I'm concerned, Beltrami doesn't need to change though: as long as he keeps cranking out stuff like Hellboy, Live Free or Die Hard and I, Robot, I'm happy! I'm also anxiously awaiting in the mail my copy of 3:10 to Yuma as we speak and am so eager to find out how that stands out on CD.

But we've strayed off the point as this is supposed to be about Mr. Tyler. Maybe we need a Beltrami thread.
    J-F
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Woah mate, really, get down listening to I AM DINA now, i am sure you'll be blown away; in my list it's the most heartfelt and passionate work i've ever heard from Beltrami. I, Robot, Live free or die hard, Hellboy, T3,are all excellent for sure and same goes for XXX2 and Underworld: evolution, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Not to overuse the NP thread, so I post my Tyler-o-meter here:

Tyler-o-meter (action scoring):

Eagle Eye: shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

AVP:R: shocked shocked shocked shocked

War: shocked shocked

TFaTF - Tokyo Drift: shocked shocked shocked

Bangkok Dangerous: shocked shocked shocked

Rambo: shocked shocked

"Clutch Then Shift" -> and there were no injured performers in the orchestra after this one?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    No, they were all killed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    No, they were all killed.

Hahaha punk

If the music is allowed to shine, the movie has to be EXPLOSIVE.

"At one point, Tyler whispered to Iwataki over the talk-back, "Are you ready for this Joel? It's a beast! This is 219 bars of madness!" => I´d love to know which one is this cue.

"The finale cue runs nearly ten minutes long, and was split up into three sections just to record it (the orchestra wouldn't have been able to endure the whole thing at once)!" => and this one could be "Potus 111"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Woah mate, really, get down listening to I AM DINA now, i am sure you'll be blown away; in my list it's the most heartfelt and passionate work i've ever heard from Beltrami. I, Robot, Live free or die hard, Hellboy, T3,are all excellent for sure and same goes for XXX2 and Underworld: evolution, imo.

Woah really? Wow, I'll have to hunt it down, rather sooner than later. Thanks! Hmm, as for Underworld Evolution, it's definitely got his personal touch, but a few too many stretched out moments for my liking where not much happens over the course of that long running time. Blade II, The Falculty, Dracula 2000 and Scream are more driven and dense, imo.

Going back to Tyler, where is Timeline on the Tyler-o-meter action list??? I think that's his very best (granted I haven't heard this fabled Eagle Eye yet).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    His very Best for me is CHILDREN OF DUNE but it's very difficult to rate his scores from that point onward. I just love DARKNESS FALLS and TERROR TRACT, PARTITION and TIMELINE, THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYER, TOKYO DRIFT, WAR, BANGKOK DANGEROUS is pretty good too, i am addicted to AVP:R and can't wait to listen to EAGLE EYE. Paparazzi and GODSEND are 2 scores i pretty much revisit too and BUG is an oddity, a dark treat. RAMBO has some excellent action / percussive tracks but lots of underscore, THE HUNTED / FRAILTY are top-notch, and of course his CONSTANTINE score has some very impressive brooding dark passages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    His very Best for me is CHILDREN OF DUNE but it's very difficult to rate his scores from that point onward. I just love DARKNESS FALLS and TERROR TRACT, PARTITION and TIMELINE, THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYER, TOKYO DRIFT, WAR, BANGKOK DANGEROUS is pretty good too, i am addicted to AVP:R and can't wait to listen to EAGLE EYE. Paparazzi and GODSEND are 2 scores i pretty much revisit too and BUG is an oddity, a dark treat. RAMBO has some excellent action / percussive tracks but lots of underscore, THE HUNTED / FRAILTY are top-notch, and of course his CONSTANTINE score has some very impressive brooding dark passages.

I agree almost 100% (I´m not a big fan of his dark side: Bug, Constantine,...).
    Besides, he seems such a cool guy. If I were a director I wouldn´t hesitate hiring him. Has to be great watching him composing / conducting his music. Oh, and watch how he shatters the orchestra has to be cool too biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ...hearing EAGLE EYE now...boy has it made my morning or noT!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Video Interview with BRIAN TYLER over at ClickTheCity.com

http://guides.clickthecity.com/clipcast/?v=673
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Has anyone else noticed the huge Goldenthal influences on the 4th track of EAGLE EYE? punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...hearing EAGLE EYE now...boy has it made my morning or noT!!! punk

Hehe...wait until you´ve listened it all. Fasten your seatbelt! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The softer passages a la LOST with the fragile piano, strings and harp are a real surprise!!!!