• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    The softer passages a la LOST with the fragile piano, strings and harp are a real surprise!!!!

SOFTER passages?? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    The softer passages a la LOST with the fragile piano, strings and harp are a real surprise!!!!

SOFTER passages?? biggrin

biggrin

Yes that´s why I think it is better than AVP:R. It is more balanced, I mean, it´s a loud, bold action score, but those softer moments are a nice break for the listener. Anyway, "Decimation Proclamation" is still unbeaten. But overall I also think Eagle Eye is far better.

My only concern is the music IN the film. Usually this loud scores are buried under loud sound effects.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. I saw Eagle Eye at the cinema tonight. The score has its moments (some of the cues employed during scene transitions are quite good), but overall I had a sense of 'heard that before' about the whole thing. I certainly couldn't listen to the entire soundtrack CD in one sitting (even two would be a stretch). There simply isn't enough variation in the score to justify an album of the duration of this particular one. I'm all for having more score on soundtrack CD's, but only if what's included is able to maintain one's interest. An album of half the length of Eagle Eye would probably be wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Film score fans are a weird kind of species. Thomas Newman albums will send us ranting about small duration of pieces, fragmented scattered tracks and little music, Brian Tyler albums and Horner scores on CD will send us rambling about how much music is on their gigantic durations and when a similar CD of equally varying interest comes out with the label "complete" everyone rushes to spend their hard-earned money on that, especially if it's a limited edition / crappy low quantity alert item, just because of the "complete" and "limited edition" thingy. dizzy
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthormixolydian
    Southall wrote
    Perhaps I can find another way of saying what I tried to before - when he first really appeared on the scene, with things like The Hunted, Darkness Falls and Timeline (not so much Children of Dune, which I always found overrated), I found myself frequently trying to defend him against what I considered to be unwarranted criticism, particularly from Goldsmith fans who were pissed off at him for scoring Timeline (slightly odd since I'm such a Goldsmith freak myself). But I'm afraid the plus points he built up with me thanks to those early scores have now all been cancelled out by the dross he has churned out over the past couple of years - particularly the extreme temp-track lifts like The Greatest Game Ever Played and War, which are at the Tyler Bates / 300 level of "inspiration". And even when he writes things that are reasonably good, like Rambo and AVPR, he spoils them because the albums are produced in ways that makes the scores extremely hard to enjoy.

As I pretty much enjoyed THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED's MAIN THEME and overall the track DETERMINATION I'd like to know what you are referring to when you say this score is a particularly extreme temp-track lift? What comes to mind?

When it comes to Tyler's RAMBO I would say Goldsmith did a pretty much unbeatable work for this films, even FIRST BLOOD is outstanding on its own. To me it is like Goldsmith were in another league of compositional skills. Odd is that the outstanding tracks on Tyler's Rambo were directly adapted from Goldsmith's First Blood - but it was a pleasure to listen to Coming Home with up-to-date recording environment.

Didn't Goldsmith throw in the towel as he would have to do serious changes in his Timeline score?

Regards
  2. Legends of the Fall is the influence on Greatest Game Ever Played main theme, then it goes a bit through Zimmer's Pearl Harbor.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    ...and The Horse Whisperer, Scent of a Woman, Sea Biscuit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And they're not just "influences" either, they're Tyler Bates / Alan Williams type things.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Michael Arlidge wrote
    I saw Eagle Eye at the cinema tonight.

How is it? I'm really looking forward to it. angelic
    • CommentAuthormixolydian
    Thanks for the hints guys, I'll have a look at it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Marselus wrote
    I agree almost 100% (I´m not a big fan of his dark side: Bug, Constantine,...).
    Besides, he seems such a cool guy. If I were a director I wouldn´t hesitate hiring him. Has to be great watching him composing / conducting his music. Oh, and watch how he shatters the orchestra has to be cool too biggrin

His "dark side" usually captivates me, except Constantine bores me to tears. Frailty and Godsend, however, I find fascinating. I have to say I don't know anything about Bug, and didn't even know there was such a score until just now. And Terror Tract, I find deliciously Elfman-esque.

That's why I have high hopes for Brian Tyler: he's grown so versatile that I find myself looking forward to any type of assignment he might receive. I'd be just as excited to see his name attached to the next AVP movie as I would be to hear him being hired by Edward Zwick.

J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008
    Composer Brian Tyler Exclusive Video Interview – EAGLE EYE – Part 1

Source: www.collider.com

Composer Brian Tyler Exclusive Video Interview – EAGLE EYE – Part 1 Collider does an MTV Cribs type interview with Brian in his studio. See how and where he works; 9/25/2008

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/i … 293/tcid/1

------------

Very informative, long and interesting insider view in the working process of Brian Tyler, on EAGLE EYE. You'll love this punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2008
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    Eagle Eye and Bangkok shipped today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    tjguitar wrote

Haven't heard em yet? You're in for 2 great rides! punk
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    tjguitar wrote

Haven't heard em yet? You're in for 2 great rides! punk

nope. i'm too lazy to torrent these days.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    I just watched those two video interviews. Pretty damn cool studio, but annoying how the interviewer didn't have a microphone. I'd keep turning it up hear what he was saying and then quickly turn it back down before Tyler started speaking.

One thing that didn't make sense though:

"I record all my drum/guitar/percussion tracks separately". If for example there were 15 tracks in a 10 minute piece of music, it would take 1500 minutes to record it." Umm, don't you mean 150 minutes? Ah, who cares, his maths might suck but he writes good music. biggrin

Is there going to be a part 3 as the video kind of cuts off?
  3. 25 hours recording eh? A day! biggrin
  4. Evening folks smile

Here's my review of EAGLE EYE - absolutely sensational action score! I'm actually ahead of the game for once... wink

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/eagleeyecd.htm
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008
    Jon Broxton wrote
    I'm actually ahead of the game for once

Which game though? sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Evening folks smile

Here's my review of EAGLE EYE - absolutely sensational action score! I'm actually ahead of the game for once... wink

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/eagleeyecd.htm

EXCELLENT review, totally agree, mindblowing score and i am glad you're enjoying it! It's easily the most adrenaline-packed major release of the year and such a big, well-crafted and in-your-face ballsy ride!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ANOTHER NEW VIDEO INTERVIEW with Brian Tyler on Myspace's rising star

http://celebrity.myspace.com/index.cfm? … risingstar

Tyler is certainly one of the most (if not THE most) fresh, cool and popular cases of film music composer in Hollywood today. Ride on punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote

Tyler is certainly one of the most (if not THE most) fresh, cool and popular cases of film music composer in Hollywood today. Ride on punk

As I've said before, his MUSIC doesn't do much for me. I've heard bits and pieces here and there (in films and outside), and it's nice enough in that Zimmer mode. But I haven't yet found anything to GRAB ON to; no particular trademarks or hooks. A bit like I feel with fan favourite Giacchino, in other words.

However, there's no denying that he LOOKS GOOD and must surely be one of the coolest film composers around. He's got that rock style that the chicks dig. Nothing "nerdy" about him (then again, that applies mostly to film score FANS, not film COMPOSERS).

Thanks for the clip!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Actually. Tyler is a big fan of film scores, so all the references he does, especially in AVP were definitely big fun for him to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

"Heeeyyy, how is it going? I´m Brian Tyler, I am a film composer".

biggrin

Can he be cooler? I can´t see Goldsmith / Williams / Horner introducing themselves like that! I like this guy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I most definitely could've seen Michael Kamen do so, though. If there was one composer I would've loved to count as a friend based on what I'd read about them, it would've been Mr. Kamen. alas....
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote

Heh, only other person I can see doing that is David Arnold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

Heh, only other person I can see doing that is David Arnold.

Yes, he looks like he´d do it. John Powell doesn´t look like he´d do it that way in the other hand.
  6. Anthony wrote
    Which game though? sad

The 'reviewing film scores within a time period that actually makes them relevant and helpful to people's purchasing decisions' game! :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008 edited
    Which implies that people only buy new scores a week or two after they are actually released, not later than a month maximum anyway, either they don't buy them at all; which i don't precisely agree with smile