• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If you throw away some stuff, it's a really cool score indeed.

Damn, and I thought I was the only one who liked this score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Agreed! But I clearly remember Demetris not liking Rambo... he liked a few portions but I never thought he would include it on a list of good Tyler scores written this year.

I fail to see what the problem is. You've clearly pointed out that D said he didn't like it when it first came out, but he's clearly changed his opinion.

So? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I can't follow the praise. sad

I feel bad, because I liked his music. Now it's just so loud that I can't read anymore after I heard one of his recent scores, in that way I can't remember a track name, so I'm completely lost. cry
    Kazoo
  1. Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Damn, and I thought I was the only one who liked this score.

I did like Rambo, though I see that it's derivative and there are tracks where musically nothing is really going on.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Agreed! But I clearly remember Demetris not liking Rambo... he liked a few portions but I never thought he would include it on a list of good Tyler scores written this year.

I fail to see what the problem is. You've clearly pointed out that D said he didn't like it when it first came out, but he's clearly changed his opinion.

So? confused

Just interesting to see the change in opinion. It's always interesting to see people pulling a Jordi. Anyway, it just caught me off guard that's all. Nothing personal.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote

But if you start throwing away cues is it really a "good" score or just a good handful of cues amongst a bunch of crap?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Well, depends on the point of view, what you have to cut off is most of the underscore (which works very well in the movie), the emotional and action stuff is rather good. Some of the underscore is simply too much, especially one particular 7 minute cue. I rate it as 3, if the album was like 40 minutes long, I'd give it a weak 4. It's not a particularly GOOD score, it's just a cool score which works very well in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote

I feel bad, because I liked his music. Now it's just so loud that I can't read anymore after I heard one of his recent scores, in that way I can't remember a track name, so I'm completely lost. cry

Not even EAGLE EYE?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Not even EAGLE EYE?

Not even Eagle Eye which really wants to be a big, bolder, more orchestral version of Batman Begins... especially in that last action cue. It's not a bad idea but again with Tyler we get more temp love. However, I could be TOTALLY wrong. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Batman begins? I haven't heard such references in the score but then again not all of us listen in the same way apparently wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Batman begins? I haven't heard such references in the score but then again not all of us listen in the same way apparently wink

I use my hands.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I use my hands.

Using Brail as well, Timmer? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Not even EAGLE EYE?

Not even Eagle Eye which really wants to be a big, bolder, more orchestral version of Batman Begins... especially in that last action cue.

I´ll give you that:

"Potus 111": 2:05 to 2:15

That´s the only similarity I´ve found with Batman Begins though.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    i don't see any similarity there. what are you talking about? what piece of the batman begins score sounds like that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    WDWGuy08 wrote
    i don't see any similarity there. what are you talking about? what piece of the batman begins score sounds like that?

The Tumbler Chase music.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    I´ll give you that:

Continuous at 2:40.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I use my hands.

Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I use my hands.

Yeap! A sort of version for the deaf wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Not even EAGLE EYE?

Not even Eagle Eye which really wants to be a big, bolder, more orchestral version of Batman Begins... especially in that last action cue.

I´ll give you that:

While I won't disagree with you there, how does that make the whole of the score want to be Batman Begins, Erik?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It doesn't sound like Batman Begins to me at all confused I'd say that the slower, dramatic chord processions (also like the similar ones in RAMBO, PARTITION and so on) have a lot to bear from the fundamental way Zimmer approaches(d) his correspondingly similar scenes 5-6 years ago and before that but it's nowhere near BB, imo.
  3. No, I think it's not a Batman Begins wannabe, really. Maybe something was inspired by BB (quick string usage methodology), but the ostinati and chords make it a different beast, totally.

It tries to be Zimmer meets Horner at times - Tyler takes some Horner's rhythmic ideas - a snare figure, cymbals writing.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Soon we'll be saying it's copying Batman because it has a string instrument in it. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or the note D biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Or the note D biggrin

Can't do that! Zimmer trademarked it 10 years ago. shame
  4. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote

What stuff, exactly? wink

Me, like Timmer, I'm starting to go off Tyler a bit.
    I'll give Alien vs. Predator: Requiem another spin, but all in all, I only really liked three of his scores: the raw, nerve-chafing power of Tokyo Drift, the dark quirkiness of Bubba Ho-Tep and the inspiring symphonic Children Of Dune.
    All the rest seems to be retreading mostly the first or the last of those efforts.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What about BANGKOK DANGEROUS and EAGLE EYE Martijn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Both (downgraded) derivates of my first example (Tokyo Drift).
    Loud. Energetic.
    Eminently forgettable otherwise.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Not even EAGLE EYE?

I´ll give you that:

While I won't disagree with you there, how does that make the whole of the score want to be Batman Begins, Erik?

Didn't say the whole score... my wording was poor in my initional post where I just wanted to point out the one action cue that is obviously "inspired" by Batman Begins. I haven't paid much attention to the rest because like Martijn said it's "eminently forgettable."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    What stuff, exactly? wink

Me, like Timmer, I'm starting to go off Tyler a bit.
    I'll give Alien vs. Predator: Requiem another spin, but all in all, I only really liked three of his scores: the raw, nerve-chafing power of Tokyo Drift, the dark quirkiness of Bubba Ho-Tep and the inspiring symphonic Children Of Dune.
    All the rest seems to be retreading mostly the first or the last of those efforts.

What about Timeline? As far as I'm concerned, it's what put Tyler on the map. When you're asked to fill shoes as legendary as Goldsmith's and still pull out something so utterly exciting, driving, heroic and romantic, I think that's one major feather in your cap. And probably Tyler's most thematic work yet. To tell the truth: I'm ever so glad both scores were released, but I can't even decide which one I like best!

But I still agree that as long as Tyler keeps being handed action flicks, he risks becoming derivative. There's only so many ways he can present us with his driving action style, especially with 70+ minutes of it on each album. Mind you, I think it's good, but after a while it'll start becoming merely: more of the same good stuff. Still good, but nothing new. That's why scores like Partition excite me to no end: it's woah-different!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    To be honest, I liked neither score much, and for the life of me I can't see why Tyler's score was prefered over Goldsmith's...or the other way around for that matter! In my opinion it's two rather non-descript scores for a pretty poor movie.