• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009
    Scoring crap movies can't be very helpful either. Plus i'd say he's typecasted already, look at the kind of movies he scores and their plots.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scoring crap movies can't be very helpful either. Plus i'd say he's typecasted already, look at the kind of movies he scores and their plots.

Agreed. Which is why I say I think he should break out of the rut. Of course, it's easy for me to say from a distance, and a lot harder to say if that's all he's being offered, but to re-energise his creative juices I think he would do very well to score something completely different. A serious drama, or a historical piece, or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, couldn't agree more.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    either way, it can't be good on the creative mind
    I like his style a lot, but to discover that Darkness Falls is still his best (alongside Eagle Eye) troubles me

He has yet to bring his very first grand score

That's IF he has that capability within himself!? or IF he ever even gets that kind of opportunity? Not many composers get offered a Star Wars, Dances With Wolves, Lord of The Rings, Ben-Hur, Shawshank Redemption etc etc.

Goldsmith wasn't offered these projects as well, but we all know what he could do on these smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    either way, it can't be good on the creative mind
    I like his style a lot, but to discover that Darkness Falls is still his best (alongside Eagle Eye) troubles me

He has yet to bring his very first grand score

That's IF he has that capability within himself!? or IF he ever even gets that kind of opportunity? Not many composers get offered a Star Wars, Dances With Wolves, Lord of The Rings, Ben-Hur, Shawshank Redemption etc etc.

Goldsmith wasn't offered these projects as well, but we all know what he could do on these smile

Absolutely! Tyler is a zillion miles from the class of Goldsmith.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not a matter of Tyler here mates; i think we can all agree that Goldsmith is a zillion times ahead from the majority anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    A serious drama...

...Timeline?

Southall wrote
    A serious drama...

...yep, Timeline again...

Southall wrote
    ...something

...yep! Timeline the movie was certainly "something"!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    Southall wrote
    A serious drama, or a historical piece, or something.

A superhero flick? That'd be a Tyler score I'd listen to.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Have you seen it? I've seen it. I still break out into a rash occasionally when I think of the experience. What a rotten, rotten film. That somebody had a thought process that went "This film is absolutely shit, it's going to get savaged by everyone, what can we possibly do?" "I know, let's dump that vibrant Jerry Goldsmith score, that's going to really help!" is pretty funny, really. It is a film of no redeeming features. (Apart from what is Brian Tyler's best score.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Have you seen it? I've seen it. I still break out into a rash occasionally when I think of the experience. What a rotten, rotten film. That somebody had a thought process that went "This film is absolutely shit, it's going to get savaged by everyone, what can we possibly do?" "I know, let's dump that vibrant Jerry Goldsmith score, that's going to really help!" is pretty funny, really. It is a film of no redeeming features. (Apart from what is Brian Tyler's best score.)

biggrin I've seen bits of it, they were really, really horrible indeed and couldn't stand to watch the rest. Not the best of film music by the great ones, could even make me to watch such crap.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

biggrin I've seen bits of it, they were really, really horrible indeed and couldn't stand to watch the rest. Not the best of film music by the great ones, could even make me to watch such crap.

It has for me in the past simply because I wanted to hear the score! More thanb a few times concerning Goldsmith.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    It's not a matter of Tyler here mates; i think we can all agree that Goldsmith is a zillion times ahead from the majority anyway.

which shows that the future of film music isn't really that positive confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, maybe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm pretty sure if things every do get really bad in film, it will hit a saturation point. I certainly don't see it getting progressively worse in the long run.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree with that. I want to believe it too.
    • CommentAuthortimme
    I hope that Robert Townson has already made the call to release Fast & The Furious 4 on Varese. I really liked Tokyo Drift. I'm still amazed that Brian Tyler can keep up composing at this speed. The way he writes music may be the same but when you hear his music in let's say Eagle Eye or Bangkok Dangerous, it really fits in those films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009
    Dragonball: Evolution audio clips:

http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … ution.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks. Sounds a bigger, more awe-inspiring at places, epic-ish take on the usual Tyler tricks. I wasn't particularly impressed, but the specific, short soundclips don't say too much.

Also, did you notice the standard Goldenthal traits in "final battle" ? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Dragonball: Evolution audio clips:

http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … ution.html

Cripes! Wake me up when it's over. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Dom wrote
    Video from a session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eHIDkwTNt4

shocked
    Want it!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    NICE!
  3. Yeah, seems one of his better efforts!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Does anyone see the choir somewhere? or was it laid on top from a pre-recorded session or something.
  4. The choir isn't seen in the video indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Then what we're listening to is the final mixed version laid on top of the video in sync wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009
    Not to sound awfully cynical here, and I'm well aware that Tyler is no Karajan, but is that "real" conducting or a more perfunctory film music, "hit the clicktrack"-type conducting? I ask because I'm not sure if Tyler is an educated conductor or if he usually conducts his own work.

In any case, pretty nice music for something as cheesy-sounding as DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Tyler does conduct his work all the time and he does have formal education. What exactly did he study, I don't know
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tyler does conduct his work all the time and he does have formal education. What exactly did he study, I don't know

OK, thanks. The question is if he has some form of education within CONDUCTING, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Not to sound awfully cynical here, and I'm well aware that Tyler is no Karajan, but is that "real" conducting or a more perfunctory film music, "hit the clicktrack"-type conducting? I ask because I'm not sure if Tyler is an educated conductor or if he usually conducts his own work.

In any case, pretty nice music for something as cheesy-sounding as DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION.

Thor, most film composers who conduct their own works are metronome-kind of conductors anyway. FACT.