• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016
    New commercial directed by Tornatore with music by Morricone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYoYoWC1o9w

Would be lovely if this were released as a download, like one of his pieces from a commercial was a few years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016
    Got into a rather heated with a friend over one of my favorite CD's ever and I put this into the top 10. My friend said it was okay sad sad sad We're talking about Yo-Yo Ma plays Morricone and if I say so it was done in a fashion that an ordinary person would find it pleasing. Am I wrong?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016
    How could you be wrong in compiling a PERSONAL top 10? smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not the top 10 but the opinion on the CD. Not impressed at all sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, I for one absolutely love that CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2016
    cheesy cheesy cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2016
    I love the one John Williams did with Yo Yo Ma. Haven't heard the Morricone yet.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. dito
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. sdtom wrote
    Got into a rather heated with a friend over one of my favorite CD's ever and I put this into the top 10. My friend said it was okay sad sad sad We're talking about Yo-Yo Ma plays Morricone and if I say so it was done in a fashion that an ordinary person would find it pleasing. Am I wrong?
    Tom

What I have heard of it, I don't particularly like it. Morricone's music is so distinctive that having it re-interpreted in such a way is too far removed for my enjoyment.

Even footage from the recent Morricone concert, I shuddered at the "Ecstasy of Gold" version I say. It's such an iconic piece (which I love) anything that's not quite like the original is usually a disappointment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I love the "Ecstasy of Gold" version by Metallica as it doesn't try to mimic the original. It's to be found on the album We All Love Ennio Morricone, an album I heartily recommend. Quincy Jones' interpretation of the theme from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", featuring Herby Hancock, also is a gem.

Volker
  4. The Ecstasy of Gold (as originally performed) has been the intro for Metallica concerts for decades now. It's as far removed from their hard-hitting tunes as one can imagine, but as a means to get the audience in the mood, it's the perfect choice actually. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2016 edited
    I always imagine some spectacular trailers using The Ecstasy of Gold, but it never happens.

Just try this on mute while playing Ecstasy. Of course the track is longer, but you don't even have to time it perfectly for it to work. Goosebumps. Just try it.
  5. Doesn't work for me really. What does work for me with this trailer - apart from Williams - is the funeral march from "Götterdämmerung".

smile Volker
  6. Siegfrieds Tod? Hm, no, not really. I mean, I can see where you're coming from, but no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Even footage from the recent Morricone concert, I shuddered at the "Ecstasy of Gold" version I say. It's such an iconic piece (which I love) anything that's not quite like the original is usually a disappointment.

Really? I think the concert version is quite awesome too. Goosebumps!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Doesn't work for me really. What does work for me with this trailer - apart from Williams - is the funeral march from "Götterdämmerung".

Yeeeeaaaaaaaahhhh! love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I always imagine some spectacular trailers using The Ecstasy of Gold, but it never happens.

It's too well-known, I think. Would be too distracting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

IMO, Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone is one of THE greatest re-recordings ever produced!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Really? I think the concert version is quite awesome too. Goosebumps!

The orchestra is great but the vocalists are never as good as I want them to be. And it just grates.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2016
    Congrats to Ennio for finally getting an Oscar. That was long due (even though he got some Honorary Award some time ago). I saw some photos and videos, one in which Ennio is at the same table with John Williams, who shakes hands with Ennio's wife. That is one awesome moment in film music history.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    love That is great!! Two truly 'Eminences Grises' of the art connecting like that.
  9. He finally won a statue for all the timeless themes he has given us.

I'll listen to Hateful Eight later today. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. cool to hear, and apparently Ennio will be visiting Gent in June for a concert in open air. Cool punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    While I don't think the score for THE HATEFUL EIGHT is particularly strong (outside the opening theme), I can't help but applaud his win -- if only out of "political" reasons, and the fact that he's overdue, not likely to get another etc. etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Could anyone here provide me with a link to see photos or a video concerning the maestros? The TV station covering the Oscars in Germany doesn't give a shit about best score and everything else seems to be blocked here. Thank you!

V.
  12. Thor wrote
    While I don't think the score for THE HATEFUL EIGHT is particularly strong (outside the opening theme), I can't help but applaud his win -- if only out of "political" reasons, and the fact that he's overdue, not likely to get another etc. etc.

yeah

Not that you'll agree with this part, but I felt similarly about Grand Budapest Hotel last year - right composer, wrong score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2016 edited
    Even as a "Desplat disliker", I know what you mean.

It's one of the reasons why I'm always waiting for that next Williams nomination/win to REALLY be deserved, so that it can stand rightfully alongside the previous iconic wins (OK, maybe not FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, but you know what I mean). I didn't feel that this year's STAR WARS score was that.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Shoulda won decades ago blah blah de blah, The Mission blah blah de blah, token win blah blah de blah.....

I don't care! Morricone WON!!!!! punk cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. Captain Future wrote
    Could anyone here provide me with a link to see photos or a video concerning the maestros? The TV station covering the Oscars in Germany doesn't give a shit about best score and everything else seems to be blocked here. Thank you!

These are the photos I took at the pre-Oscar reception for the music nominees:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … 7de844ce29

Jon