• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    I listen to this wonderful symphony and then something like Spiderwick Chronicles and I just wonder what has happened. Am I getting that old?
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Well if you're looking for the new Vaughan-Williams in the next James Horner fantasy score... possibly. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    NP : FRANK - Amy Winehouse

Man but this girl's got a great voice and bags of talent, it's such a shame she's in such bad company and is more known for her serious drug and relationship problems.

This is a lovely album that's reminiscent of Etta James, very smooth and smoking vocals! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    Symphony No. 1 'The Bells of Zlonice' in C Minor-Dvorak.

This was never given an opus number from Dvorak. He wrote it early on for a competition and was discovered after his death. My recording is the Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Jarvi
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Amy Winehouse
    is more known for her serious drug and relationship problems.

The dead poll now favours Britney to go into fatal meltdown before Amy.
    They're both not expected to last the year, though. slant

NP: ZZ Top - Greatest Hits (so sue me)
    Who'da thunk chicks would still go crazy over a sharp-dressed man?
    Gotta love that two-chord On The Road rock style. Great icons of the eighties, these beards!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008 edited
    At Dawn In Rivendel - The Tolkien Ensemble with Christopher Lee

Lovely interpretation of some of Tolkien's best poems and songs.
    Benefitting greatly from a very nice semi-folkmusic interpretation, with some amazingly effective strings arrangements, the highlight is still Lee's powerhouse recitation.
    He even sings Treebeard's Song, which easily is the highlight of the CD: moving and deeply melancholic.
    One of the best Lord Of The Rings spin-offs I've had the pleasure of listening to.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Amy Winehouse
    is more known for her serious drug and relationship problems.

The dead poll now favours Britney to go into fatal meltdown before Amy.
    They're both not expected to last the year, though. slant

NP: ZZ Top - Greatest Hits (so sue me)
    Who'da thunk chicks would still go crazy over a sharp-dressed man?
    Gotta love that two-chord On The Road rock style. Great icons of the eighties, these beards!

ZZ Top?

Man, but that track Legs does it for me everytime!, cracking track! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OXYGENE (Jean Michel Jarre)

The classic album is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, so I needed to pull it out again. I don't think I need the reissue, though, but we'll see. It's textural synth textures at their best! (even though I prefer the follow-up album EQUINOXE over this).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ORDER (Food For Feet)

Fine 1991 pop album by the Oingo Boingo spin-off band. A bit of delta blues, a bit of Latin/world music temperament. Cool!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    NP: OXYGENE (Jean Michel Jarre)

The classic album is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, so I needed to pull it out again. I don't think I need the reissue, though, but we'll see. It's textural synth textures at their best! (even though I prefer the follow-up album EQUINOXE over this).

Completely agree here!! Although the catchy tracks from Oxygene are excellent, the more textural moments are even better. Equinoxe, for me also, is the preferred of the two.

BTW, Jarre's 45-minute track on Waiting For Cousteau was the background music for the birth of our daughter, Rachel. Very soothing stuff, indeed!. (I was waiting to add this to a "weirdest place to hear a Jean-Michel Jarre album" thread, but it never materialised.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BTW, Jarre's 45-minute track on Waiting For Cousteau was the background music for the birth of our daughter, Rachel. Very soothing stuff, indeed!. (I was waiting to add this to a "weirdest place to hear a Jean-Michel Jarre album" thread, but it never materialised.)

Wow, that's quite something. I guess it has that ethereal, therapeutic effect, though. Personally, that track became the Muse for a short-story I did, whose abstract plot unfolded as I listened to the nooks and turns of this amazing piece!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Wow, that's quite something. I guess it has that ethereal, therapeutic effect, though. Personally, that track became the Muse for a short-story I did, whose abstract plot unfolded as I listened to the nooks and turns of this amazing piece!

It did have a very calming effect - definitely an ambience that's required at a time like that!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008
    NP : OMMADAWN - Mike Oldfield

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2008
    NP : SUPERNATURE - Goldfrapp

I've heard that they're next album is more a return to 'Felt Mountain'? I hope so. This album does have some great moments though, particularly Time Out From The World which is incredibly James Bond'ish and, dare I say it, better than ANY of Arnold's Bond songs.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2008
    NP : ANGELUS FOR SOPRANO MIXED CHOIR & ORCHESTRA - Wojchiech Kilar

A fantastic work, I'd recommend everyone here who likes Kilar's film scores to check out his concert works which are just as accessable and memorable.
  4. NP: Concerto for Violin and Orchestra (Tigran Mansurian; violin: Leonidas Kavakos; perf by Munchener Kammaerorchester under Christoph Poppen)

This is part of an ECM double album that includes Mansurian's Concerto for viola and orchestra (perf by Kim Kashkashian), and pieces with Jan Garbarek and The Hilliard Ensemble. Mansurian is Armenian, and his music gravely negotiates the musical contours of modern composition and Armenian folk music. ECM are a label whose albums can sometimes be a bit free-form and loose (like 5 interesting instruments improvising without a clear goal), but here they've put out another interesting collection of modern classical works by a composer too obscure, alive and European to command attention from the more stately labels like Decca, Sony Classical and Deutsche Grammophon.

Next up: The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind (Osvaldo Golijov; perf by Kronos Quartet, with clarinet/bass clarinet)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008
    NP : LA MER - Claude Debussy

Lovely! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CRAIG ARMSTRONG - VLADISLAV DELAY - ANTYE GREIE - the dolls

Nicht so gut.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BREAKFAST IN AMERICA (Supertramp)

Pop-prog at its very, very best! Roger Hodgson is a genius.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE ROMANTIC SCHUBERT (Franz Schubert)

Yeah, it's a cheesy Naxos compilation, but the performance is excellent and the music is.....well, romantic and lovely, rich in colour.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE ROMANTIC SCHUBERT (Franz Schubert)

Yeah, it's a cheesy Naxos compilation, but the performance is excellent and the music is.....well, romantic and lovely, rich in colour.

The great thing about NAXOS is that it enables you to purchase works on chance due to how cheap it is.

I find many recordings of varying quality, I haven't liked a single one of they're Vaughan Williams recordings but others have fared better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    Symphony No. 6, Op. 60 in D Major-Dvorak
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    NP : FOUR SEA INTERLUDES - Benjamin Britten

Superb! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    NP : NEON BIBLE - Arcade Fire

This is a GREAT album! Loving it over and over cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    Scheherazade-Rimsky-Korsakov

The finest orchestral work ever composed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY #2 : MYSTERIOUS MOUNTAIN - Alan Hovhaness

Seattle Symphony conducted by Gerard Schwarz.

Excellent! cool
  5. Timmer wrote

Excellent! cool

My copy of this arrived yesterday. Now I need to find the time to listen to it. If I don't like it, it's all your fault.

But my suspicions are that I will enjoy it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Excellent! cool

My copy of this arrived yesterday. Now I need to find the time to listen to it. If I don't like it, it's all your fault.

But my suspicions are that I will enjoy it.

Opinion here at this thread please Alan!? smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008 edited
    NP : HIGH TIMES ( Singles 1992 - 2006 - Jamiroquai

Slick, polished and funky and giving my speakers a great workout right now! punk

Listening to this made me want to listen to Stevie Wonder but apart from a "Best Of" on CD I only have his brilliant works tucked away in storage on LP, I really must replace them with CD's.

Steven, you like Jamiroquai and I was wodering if you've heard any Stevie Wonder from the 1970's when he was at his peak? A lot of his work then was phenomanal, Jamiroquai is almost exactly like 70's Stevie Wonder though I expect Jay Kay would be the first to doff his big furry horned hat to the mans genius.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008
    NP : ALEXANDER NEVSKY - Sergei Prokofiev

As D would say, no comment! cool