• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmmm. I'm not really trying to be "interesting" here.
    It's pretty hard to catch the thing in words due to the seemingly conflicting sentiments.
    At times like those it's easier to grab for a metaphor and capture the experience rather than an analysis..

Same. Anyway, metaphors are so much more fun and imaginative!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Interesting. How is it? Musically-wise, instrumentation-wise?

From minimalist alternative (piano, cello) to slow, driving rhythm & blues in small combo.
    But I've just seen a full orchestral performance which works just fine as well.

How would you describe it as a sound?

Like this-ish (though obviously that bloke put it way better than I'm doing now).

It's not music for every setting and mood, to be sure.
    It does *insinuate* its melancholy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have a strong feeling i'll like it.

Do i really have to copy-paste my request over to the cheezburger place? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I have a strong feeling i'll like it.

I wonder...
    I sense it may be an instant like or dislike (like I said: it completely ticked ALL the wrong boxes with me initially).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    I Am A Bird Now - Antony And The Johnsons

One of the oddest, most enigmatic performances I have ever heard.
    And quite possible the most melancholy one.

While ticking all the wrong boxes (weird vocal stylistics, gloomy strings) it all competely unexpectedly comes together in a fascinating, emotionally draining unity as, in the softest, most non-intrusive way, their acidic melodies unobtrusively melt all resistance and leave you with feelings of wonderment, tranquility and a slight sadness and solitude.
    But it's a sweet misery.

Well put.

Mel really likes them and has this and another album ( can't remember the name ) , strange and compelling, enigmatic.....listenable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LARK ASCENDING - Ralph Vaughan Williams

On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I smell romance in the air Tim smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009 edited
    Krzysztof Penderecki - Concerto for flute and chamber orchestra.

I´ve been exploring this work by the Polish maestro for the past few days, from a recently purchased Naxos recording. Its awsome, and what a delight to hear the effortlessly concieved, intricate polyphonic structures dissolve into individual strands of thematic material for the soloist to play with. Wow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009
    markrayen wrote

I´ve been exploring this work by the Polish maestro for the past few days, from a recently purchased Naxos recording. Its awsome, and what a delight to hear the effortlessly concieved, intricate polyphonic structures dissolve into individual strands of thematic material for the soloist to play with. Wow!

want
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    markrayen wrote

Sounds like a perfect description of this classic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Schauspiel Overture...Korngold. Written and fully orchestrated at the young age of 14 this is really not a student but a mature piece showing the genius of Korngold.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Schauspiel Overture...Korngold. Written and fully orchestrated at the young age of 14 this is really not a student but a mature piece showing the genius of Korngold.
    Thomas

14?!? shocked

This I have to hear.
  1. Manowar - Gods of War

Awesome concept album!

punk beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009
    http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue … pid=795229

Check out the clips. The Violin Concerto consists of the melodies from Another Dawn, The Prince and the Pauper, and Anthony Adverse.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009
    NP: Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto & Violin Concerto - Pyotr Tchaikovsky (Augustin Dumay, London Symphony Orchestra & Valdamir Emil Tchakarov, Andrei Gavrilov, Berliner Philharmoniker & Vladimir Ashkenazy)

Excellent recordings of excellent pieces. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    William wrote
    NP: Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto & Violin Concerto - Pyotr Tchaikovsky (Augustin Dumay, London Symphony Orchestra & Valdamir Emil Tchakarov, Andrei Gavrilov, Berliner Philharmoniker & Vladimir Ashkenazy)

I think that both works could be listed in the top 100 classical recordings of all time
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    William wrote

I think that both works could be listed in the top 100 classical recordings of all time
    Thomas

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009 edited
    Joker and the Thief
    Wolfmother
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWvdKPpVWzw

All These Things That I've Done
    The Killers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXkWW_q_OTM

Iko Iko

(All kinds of versions)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-1HoLM-aw

Just rocking out to these songs is all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009
    NP: Symphony No. 1 in G Major...Nino Rota

This is my second listen and I doubt that this work will ever make the list of 'must play' pieces for symphony orchestras.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009
    Not sure where this post actually belongs :/

I've always loved listening to the old shadow radio show. When I was little I had a cassette with a few episodes.

Thanks to iTunes I now have about 160 episodes. They are very entertaining. You can really lose yourself in them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited
    omaha wrote
    Not sure where this post actually belongs :/

I've always loved listening to the old shadow radio show. When I was little I had a cassette with a few episodes.

Thanks to iTunes I now have about 160 episodes. They are very entertaining. You can really lose yourself in them.

I love radio plays. I bought the original Star Wars radio plays 11 years ago while at DisneyWorld! I also have the Lord of the Rings, The War of the Worlds, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, etc. They've all kept me company on long drives!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Me, too!
    I have TONS of 'em!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Some of my favorite radio shows are:

1...Gunsmoke
    2...Box 13
    3...Philip Marlowe
    4...Charlie Chan

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I HATE radio plays...probably because my parents used to play them while driving across Europe when I was a teen (and I had kid siblings). Traumatic! crazy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

Crikey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    I'm still listening to some classical works of Korngold for my next review.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009 edited
    NP: A tribute to Michael Jackson

It seems that the hell of the week I'm having (don't ask!!!) made me want to return to my teen years. And since poor Michael was at his peek then and we all remembered him due to his death, it's only fitting I guess. I'm dancing my heart out!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009 edited
    I just never ever got into the MJ craze. I always think of Michael Jordan as the MJ.
    Thomas

Apparently I edited Stavroula's post, yikes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    biggrin Evil Tom!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    Apparently I edeited both Stavroula's and Tom's post!

But it was all in a good cause.