• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    Heh it was free. I really can't complain and it gives me a guide as to what sounds like what.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    256 Is good enough.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008
    Not through a quality stereo system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You'd be hard pressed to hear the difference between CD-quality audio and a 256 file, even on good speakers. We actually tested it in the studio the other day with a really decent pair of monitors (I'm doing a music tech course), and we compared a 320kbps file with a normal CD for the same piece of music. Couldn't hear a damn bit of difference. I would imagine 256 is still too high a bit rate to hear many discrepancies.

Next week I get to smash seven bells out of a drum kit and record it! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Here we go again
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Here we go again

Then don'tbeat yourself up over it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The sound is more antiseptic than a CD which is of course more antiseptic than a LP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    The sound is more antiseptic than a CD which is of course more antiseptic than a LP.

There are so many more factors to consider than just bit rate, not least psychological ones. Compression technology gets rid of sound that we theoretically cannot hear, and a high bit rate like 256 is nigh on impossible to tell the difference between a CD-quality piece of audio. (And there other factors like sample rate and bit depth to consider. I rip audio into 41KHz, which is about the same as a CD, so I still get the same amount of 'chops' per second than I would get if I listened to the CD, except that it's been compressed to cut out noise humans - theoretically - can't hear, or don't notice very easily.)

Do you play CDs through your computer or do you play them on a CD player connected to a hi-fi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008 edited
    Also cables, wires, system (hardware) speakers (self-amplified or not, quality, dimensions), amplifiers but most importantly THE CODEC.

You'll be amazed by how differently 2 mp3's of the same bitrate done with conventional freeware or cheap mp3 codecs sound in comparison with the ones done in studios with professional, expensive plugins. That's the stuff that should worry you, not the bit rate itself alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly. There are zillions of factors that effect the audio that finally reaches your ears, and we've been playing around with a lot of these factors in the studio recently.

Logic Pro and its many plug-ins confuse the shite out of me. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Studio at the uni?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fascinating stuff eh? Don't know what equipment you got there but makes you realize what recorded sound really is and what goes on behind the stuff you listen at home 'till it reaches you..those multi-thousand dollar plug-ins is what makes the music you hear sound like that most of the times.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Also cables, wires, system (hardware) speakers (self-amplified or not, quality, dimensions), amplifiers but most importantly THE CODEC.

You'll be amazed by how differently 2 mp3's of the same bitrate done with conventional freeware or cheap mp3 codecs sound in comparison with the ones done in studios with professional, expensive plugins. That's the stuff that should worry you, not the bit rate itself alone.

The bottom line is...if the end result sounds fine then enjoy!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I play my CD's on my stereo. I use high end monster wire with a minimum amount of distance from the amp to the speakers. I can hear a difference.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    I play my CD's on my stereo. I use high end monster wire with a minimum amount of distance from the amp to the speakers. I can hear a difference.
    Thomas

And your MP3s?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Those are directly copied to a CD for listening. I hate to be this way because I promised myself to be better but the sound from an MP3 player or through my computer is crap, sorry. Steven check out a tube CDPlayer sometime along with some quality equipment. Slowly right now I'm working on a sweet sixteen speaker with two tweeters and a 7 amp mono amplifier to listen to non stereo equipment. It does make a difference. If my 60+ year old ears can hear there is a difference.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008 edited
    But of course there's a difference. The greater the number of the speakers is, the greater the uniformity of the created sound field. Plus the more sound depth it carries in the case of added LFE (low frequency enhancement) speakers - subwoofers or low frequency reproduction capable speakers. This is a subject matter i studied extremely well for my bachelor thesis which is quite relevant and stands on psychoacoustic principles and a relevant experiment we conducted a couple of months back.

But this is another thing than the bitrate of the encoded audio.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Have you read about this fairly simple speaker to build? Keep in mind this is for mono only. The two tweeters add a small boost to the high end.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And a 7 watt tube amp is fairly easy to build and all you need for plenty of sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008 edited
    Nop; i know the theory behind psychoacoustics but don't know about the specific system you speak of. Do you have a link or something?

High quality high frequency boost will give you clarity in the perceived sound and low frequency in the right analogies (i.e. roughly speaking it shouldn't be independently discernible but rather fused with the whole of the sound image) will attribute depth and a greater sense of envelopment*, when you have a sufficient number of speakers properly placed.

* the feeling of being surrounded by sound from all directions, being in a wholly spherical sound field without "holes"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tom wave

I'd recommend you have a go at HeeroJF's clips game in the Guess Yonder Score XXXI thread.....very much up your street! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    Thanks for the tip as I would have never looked. I'll play tomorrow
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008
    I just a column entitled Performing Music which in my opinion is the ultimate enjoyment when it comes to music.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/11/18/performing-music/

I'm also open to any topics for future columns
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    Christmas material
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    soundtrack collector lists over 44,000 titles. how many do you have?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008 edited
    1000 CDs; about 50 LPs (I have far more, but I have re-bought many as CDs, so I'm not counting the redundant ones). About 3000 in MP3 format.

Music to last me three lifetimes. Not too shabby. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    I have enough for three lifetimes! Soundtracks, Jazz, and Classical
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahhhh, hold on: if we're also counting genres other than soundtracks, I can easily double that number!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    All we can say Martijn is yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!