• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Bregje wrote
    I enjoyed the movie a lot! I'll get the score later on, even though I only liked a couple of tracks from Hobbit 1. I'm hoping DOS is better with new themes. Winter is a good time for listening to Hobbit music or LOTR music. I also bought myself Doug Adams book for Christmas and I'm enjoying that a lot too!!
    wave

"Feast of Starlight" + "The Forest River" + "Beyond The Forest" = thematic bliss!

Also, I just realize where I've heard the "love theme" part of Tauriel's music before...Morricone!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013
    Bregje wrote
    I enjoyed the movie a lot! I'll get the score later on, even though I only liked a couple of tracks from Hobbit 1. I'm hoping DOS is better with new themes. Winter is a good time for listening to Hobbit music or LOTR music. I also bought myself Doug Adams book for Christmas and I'm enjoying that a lot too!!
    wave

shocked BREGJE!!!!! shocked HIiiiiii!
    We missed you! sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. We really did! hug

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013
    Wow thanks, that's nice smile. I missed you all too, that's why I'm here! And because now I have some time off during this Christmas break.

I like the Eastern theme for Smaug a bit, I like Tauriels theme, but not so much the Tauriel warrior theme (not official theme names, just hope you know what I mean). Not sure yet what to think. But still, a score to a movie like this is a must have for me, no matter what. Regular release will do.
  2. My own review of Desolation of Smaug. Suffice it to say I am not in Southall's camp on this one. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    My own review of Desolation of Smaug. Suffice it to say I am not in Southall's camp on this one. wink

Very good and thoughtful review Edmund. Well done.

I like the Smaug score a lot but I would say I fall in-between the thoughts of yourself and Southall in my listening experience of the score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    My own review of Desolation of Smaug. Suffice it to say I am not in Southall's camp on this one. wink

Word! beer

Well done indeed Edmund!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Thanks guys. kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014
    Howard Shore's cello concerto Mythic Gardens was premiered in the UK this evening at the Watford Colosseum. A stream of the concert is available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03x1jtw - Mythic Gardens starts at 35:07.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2014 edited
    Amazon now has clips of Howard Shore's "Collector's Edition" releases of

Naked Lunch

Crash

Dead Ringers

I'm most excited to hear what's new in Crash followed by Dead Ringers. Not as keen with Naked Lunch. Digital versions of the albums out on 14th October.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. My couple of cents on Maps To The Stars... an odd one, but too odd?
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  6. Synchrotones wrote
    My couple of cents on Maps To The Stars... an odd one, but too odd?

You are a lot more forgiving than when I listened to it. Maybe I need to really listen to it? Or find a booklet!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. To be honest I think I may have been a little too forgiving. I quite enjoy it when it's playing, but completely forget about it once it's finished. I didn't write that in my review. I should probably knock half a star off.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2014 edited
    Crappy score, one of the worst of the year, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    Crappy score, one of the worst of the year, imo.

I disagree. I think it's a fascinating, textural affair. One of the few non-LOTR scores by Shore that I've been able to enjoy properly.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2014
    Not surprised.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2014
    It's not a particularly cohesive experience on album, but I rather like the string quartet material.
  8. Have La-La Land Records hinted that Howard Shore's score for Se7en could get a proper release next year for the film's 20th anniversary?

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

That would be great if it were true. The only downside is realising that it's 20 years since that film was released! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    That would be great if it were true. The only downside is realising that it's 20 years since that film was released! shocked

A great film it is. Hasn't aged a day!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2014 edited
    Synchrotones wrote
    To be honest I think I may have been a little too forgiving. I quite enjoy it when it's playing, but completely forget about it once it's finished. I didn't write that in my review. I should probably knock half a star off.

I thought your review reflects the music I heard while watching the film in the theater. Shore's "Maps to the Stars" is music of which only drops are used in the movie, mainly to underscore the fake and self-obsessed lifestyles of the tv/movie/child stars in it, the music itself felt like a parody at times. Only near the end does the score break away from that and becomes more emotional, and I do need to get the score if only for that finale.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a good film and Shore's score captures and creates the atmosphere brilliantly. The film is only let down by some truly cringe worthy moments of "acting" by Brad Pitt who has improved a lot since then.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Haven't seen the film, but I kinda like the album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If the Maps to the stars score aims to emit a sense of "fakeness" i'd say it does it pretty well wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    By the way, Shore is doing the music for Jon Stewart's (yes, that's Daily Show-Stewart) directorial debut ROSEWATER, which is in cinemas soon. Quite intrigued by that (more the film thant he score, perhaps).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I doubt Shore will manage to really intrigue me anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Always keep a door open, D -- even if a composer has disappointed you. If there's something I've learnt in my 25 years as a film music fan, it's that.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Yeah...what's with the needless pessimism?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i always listen to new stuff, i never reject anything prior to listening and viewing the film, just saying, as a general notion. Shore, to me, is a composer with a very inspired past, a brilliant long moment with the three now classic LOTR scores, and then caught up uninspired and confused with the ever-changing film music and movies' business and styles, and caught up in his own tremendous success with LOTR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Yeah...what's with the needless pessimism?

Needless? for me, no, if i i judge his outcome post-LOTR. See the post above please.
  10. Suffice it to say I completely disagree with that assessment. I don't particularly want to turn this into yet another discussion of the Hobbit scores (whose lukewarm reception I continue to be completely befuddled by, but I've more or less made my peace with that...I just wish people would acknowledge the strengths those scores undeniably have even if they personally don't like them). And other than that, his career right now is pretty similar to his career pre-LOTR - quite a bit of difficult, brooding stuff with the occasional drama. I really don't see that much of a difference or drop-off in quality.