• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012
    I said this before and I will say it again: he is a GENIUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2013
    So, I have just been realizing that Hisaishi is actually a brilliant genius, and want to hear more of his scores. I have A Cloud On The Slope, A Cloud On The Slope 3, Legend of the Four Gods, Kikujiro, Giant Deep Sea Creatures, Ni No Kuni, Princess Mononoke, and I Want To Be A Shellfish. What must-haves am I missing?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Basically all his Miyazaki scores - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Mononoke you have, Spirited Away. I couldn't get through the whole Howl's Moving Castle album and I haven't heard neither Ponyo nor The Wind Rises.

Welcome to Dongmakgol has a brilliant theme, his scores for Kitano are a more acquired taste, but do feature some brilliance - there is a compilation, I haven't heard yet, but I did like The Kids Return quite a lot

From that collaboration, Kikujiro is one of Hisaishi's most popular and beautiful scores, heavily recommended. That's a must-have if there is one.

Departures (Okuribito) isi also quite something.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I have to thank Miya from the depth of my heart for my serious acquaintance with Hisaishi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Speaking of which -- have you heard that Miyazaki recently announced that he's retiring from feature films? I know, he's said it before, but this time it seems final. Sad news. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wouldn't call Hisaishi a genius but he is exceptionally talented. I love Kikujiru, Nausacaa and Princess Mononoke, just wonderful scoring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    I wouldn't call Hisaishi a genius but he is exceptionally talented. I love Kikujiru, Nausacaa and Princess Mononoke, just wonderful scoring.

What's the difference between genius and exceptionally talented?
  4. "Nausicaä" is the only one I have. It's very good!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I have to thank Miya from the depth of my heart for my serious acquaintance with Hisaishi.

wave

I recommend Porco Rosso to everyone! This is the best music I think to describe the world of Miyazaki and Hisaishi. The movie is also very much what Miyazaki does (or likes).
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote

Word count?
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote

I've always thought of the difference as being that a genius is able to go somewhere beyond what a "normal" person, even an exceptionally talented one, would get to through hard work and talent alone.

In film music terms - I can understand how one could do what John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith have done through working hard, training fully and using the most of their natural talents. But I don't know how anyone could do some of the things Ennio Morricone has done. So I think he's a genius (film music's only genius).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013 edited
    How do you sit down at a desk with a piece of manuscript paper and come up with "The Ecstasy of Gold" or "Man with a Harmonica"? That just blows my mind.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    How do you sit down at a desk with a piece of manuscript paper and come up with "The Ecstasy of Gold" or "Man with a Harmonica"? That just blows my mind.

Yup!
  5. One of definitions of genius I read, by the 19th/20th century psychologist and philosopher William James, says that basically a genius is nobody else than a person who has a different kind of interpretating sensual phenomena. Because of that he sees the world (perceives, that would be more precise) differently, because it's not as much as what you get, but what you do with the information that goes into your brain.

There is indeed a question of understanding the world around us, creating our own reality and so on.... Pretty much it's a hugely philosophical thing to delve on. Morricone is a genius. I think John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith are geniuses because of their uncanny and instinctive understanding of the work they do (the fact that Goldsmith was such a great film composer, not just composer, and he didn't want to think of what he writes, being purely instinctive and reacting very quickly to a movie like Chinatown, is to me a proof of him being a genius). That's the only names I will mention, because some of my ideas will be controversial and off-topic for this thread, but I think I could make at least one more case and have arguments for it, but yeah...

The inherent understanding of the medium and being able to deliver what's necessary (and more) for a movie while retaining enthusiasm for the work... that's what I'd call genius in film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

In film music terms - I can understand how one could do what John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith have done through working hard, training fully and using the most of their natural talents. But I don't know how anyone could do some of the things Ennio Morricone has done. So I think he's a genius (film music's only genius).

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment of Williams and Goldsmith. I think both composers have (and did have) a spark of talent that not everyone has even if they've undergone the same amount of training. Composers like McNeely or Debney (to name but two), who perhaps have equal amounts of understanding of classical and orchestral music and music theory than does Williams, are neither capable of producing anything quite as good as Williams' best scores and themes. None of them have created an Indiana Jones march. *That* theme, I think, is genius. To so perfectly encapsulate a movie and its character in such a short musical phrase, one that's as memorable and exciting as that, is just as good as any of Morricone's best work. (As is Goldsmith's score to Patton, to choose just one Goldsmith example.)

I just don't buy that Morricone is the only true genius, and composers like Goldsmith and Williams aren't applicable! dizzy
  6. The Romantics thought of a genius as an artist who would not play by the rules but create his own and so break new ground for lesser artists (German: Epigonen) to follow him.

This would mean that within a given set of rules there can be no ingenious art. So what about a lyricist who wirtes a sonnet? That period was obsessed with the idea of "originality". Traces of that concept are still present in today's concepts of art.

Anyway, from that point of view film music would never qualify as being ingenious because it is programme music, not absolute music that exists for its own sake entirely.

Volker
  7. To be honest in these terms I'm rather close to Renaissance views than Romantic smile
  8. Me, too! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's a storm coming...
  9. To those who don't understand, I'll give a little explanation.

The idea behind Romanticism is that all art is original and comes from the personal genius. Sure, great. That means that they can't quote anyone, it just comes from the heart or, preferably even, some kind of a divine intervention. The fact that Romanticism does owe quite a bit to Shakespeare at times is irrelevant in the matter. At least for them. The "originality of art" argument prevailed in art until some time in the 1960s when postmodernism appeared and the fact that you could name the rip-offs (ironically a lot of that came from the positivist - late 19th century - philosophy, which though judged these rip-offs as affecting the level of the analysed work, in simple terms - if, say - and I'm just inventing something here, not referring to particular research - John Milton quoted Horace in Paradise Lost, it would simply mean that Paradise Lost is not a masterpiece, but a lesser, unoriginal work). This was rebuffed by the postmodernist, when the theory called intertextuality (reworked for multiple criticism theories, not just only for literature) appeared when the discovery that a text can be in dialogue with a text that was written before was almost a revolution in criticism.

For a Renaissance poet, this revolution would just be regarded as something totally stupid, because they knew that not only being in dialogue, but openly referring especially the classics (here, by classics I mean ancient Greece and Rome) was THE mode of operation. There were two basic theories, or rather approaches, to this. One, called imitatio (imitation, how ironic it is that today it's regarded as a derogatory term!) meant simply quoting, sometimes indirectly, but still obviously for those in the know (ie. every single intellectual who could read and went through basic education), the works of the classical masters. The other way to go, and it was preferred, was aemulatio (emulation), which meant a competition with what was written before. A classic example of emulation in ancient literature was Virgil's Aeneid, which combined both Homer epics (Iliad and Odyssey) into one work that was, at his time, regarded as better than the originals, by his peers (sadly, I didn't read about any reaction to the poem by contemporary Greeks). And again, it wasn't just about writing an original work of art, but taking something classic and trying to better it. This theory of art has prevailed for the whole pre-Romantic period, with aesthetics becoming a speculative branch of philosophy some time in the 18th century when the theory of Sublime and the theory of Taste have started to appear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Me, I rather prefer the Classic interpretation.

For those who do not understand, I may explain later. I'm still debating whether to do it in Latin or Sumerian.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    To those who don't understand, I'll give a little explanation.

The idea behind Romanticism is that all art is original and comes from the personal genius. Sure, great. That means that they can't quote anyone, it just comes from the heart or, preferably even, some kind of a divine intervention.

It's preferable to give an unverifiable source credit for your own work? dizzy
  10. Martijn wrote

For those who do not understand, I may explain later. I'm still debating whether to do it in Latin or Sumerian.

tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

I hear it looks most fetching in Sanskrit.
  11. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    To those who don't understand, I'll give a little explanation.

The idea behind Romanticism is that all art is original and comes from the personal genius. Sure, great. That means that they can't quote anyone, it just comes from the heart or, preferably even, some kind of a divine intervention.

It's preferable to give an unverifiable source credit for your own work? dizzy

They did believe that a masterful work of art has a supernatural source, yeah. While Romanticism has created what's the basis of modern individualism, they believed in a sort of metaphysical arc that supports the genius.

That said, romantic theism wasn't exactly what we see as theism today. Whatever supernatural entity they believed in, in many cases I wouldn't say it was an orthodox perception of a deity. Some poets even created *their own* legends, like our biggest poet of the era claimed that a very important long monologue of one of his plays was written overnight. I haven't seen the manuscript myself (though I guess images of it would be even available online), but I do wonder how often was it revised before it got published in Paris :mrgreen: . What would support my theory about the source of individualism and unorthodox, but still religious, beliefs is the philosophy of Ralph Waldo Emerson, who basically set the whole American view of life up. On one hand he believed that every single person has genius in them, he also said that Jesus Christ DID have divine wisdom (that refers not to the *source* of it, but the *scope*), but, still, was rather a genius individual than the Son of God. This led to accusations that this former reverend was really an atheist and he went through a lot of scolding for this speech, now called, I think, the Divine Address (having read it in Polish I don't remember the English title of it).
  12. I'll just add that it wasn't the only example of such accusations. In fact, a lot of Romantic works, while featuring lots of supernatural elements (devils flying over the stage and so on), were censored by the Church, for example.
  13. My review of THE WIND RISES, for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/10/25/the-w … -hisaishi/

Jon
  14. Sounds great! Thanks for the review, Jon. I'll have to look into this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2017
    I got on autograph from Joe :O

https://www.facebook.com/soundtrackwere … 9647719260

He mentioned btw that "He will be in Germany next Year" :D