• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009
    NP: Pushing Daisies - Jim Dooley

A pleasant score to relax to and use as background music while studying!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea - Joe Hisaishi

uhm

Not sure if I heard the part that makes this one of the best of 2008. It certainly is lovely but not once did it grabbed my attention. I call these FLOATERS!

-Erik-

Same here. I'd say that from all the 2008 Hisaishi scores i've heard this year, this is the least interesting.

Opening chorus on Deep Sea Ranch, bittersweet emotion on Empty Bucket and Tears of Sosuke, cheerful and adventurous Little Sisters, tongue-in-cheek Wagner parody Flight of Ponyo, the beautiful finale Song of Praise for Mother and the Sea, and simple but unforgettable Ponyo theme.... none of them grabbed your attention? shocked

Maybe I'm too hyped about this score. But I couldn't help doing so... because I'd been longing for Miyazaki and Hisaishi's return to this genre, where they presented subtle emotions of children with a simple story long time ago, on My Neighbor Totoro. Sadly Miyazaki failed to do that on Ponyo. But Hisaishi succeed, perhaps better than in Totoro.

NP: PONYO! biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: 7th Voyage Of Sinbad - Bernard Hermann

I play the re-recording because I can't stand mono-sound albums. An AMAZING score! A simple one yet so effective and beautiful themes, this is a true and wonderful classic!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: My Neighbor Totoro - Joe Hisaishi

Did I say Ponyo is better than this? I take it back... even she can't surpass this beloved monsters... smile
    (But Ponyo is more complex musically, as I said on other thread.)

Great score, great songs, I love you Totoro! (I should have brought my old Totoro plushies from my parants home! biggrin )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Bear McCreary

Very impressive television scoring from a very impressive composer! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: 7th Voyage Of Sinbad - Bernard Hermann

I play the re-recording because I can't stand mono-sound albums. An AMAZING score! A simple one yet so effective and beautiful themes, this is a true and wonderful classic!! punk

When listening to the Cylops cues one can only marvel at Herrmann's ability to nail a specific sound that totally describes a character or moment.

No one, and I mean NO ONE has ever, before or since, written monster music as good as Herrmann.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The Dragon music from Sinbad is amazing too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button -Alexandre Desplat

Like it or not you have to admit that this one is definitely a curiosity... pardon the pun. I wanted to give it another spin to see if I could connect with the music this time... and you know what made the difference... volume. While most of the time we talk about turning up the volume on our favorite epic scores when listening to them, but with this score you really need to hear every nuance. It's not the most original score out there but there is a lot that it does offer and I'm very interested to hear it in context this weekend to make my final judgment. I have 9 out of 10 scores on my Top 10 list for 2008 and there is a spot for Benjamin Button if it does its job in the film. I will tell you this, the latter half of the album is much stronger than the first.

Anyway, this a rare example where more listens are needed to get into the score. I often mention that as a weakness in a film score but this time I will put the blame square on myself for not really giving the attention the score deserved during my first few listens.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Atham wrote
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Bear McCreary

Very impressive television scoring from a very impressive composer! cool

As much as I like the music in the series, as a stand alone experience I was bored to death, with the exceptions of Sarah´s Theme and Derek´s Theme.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

Like it or not you have to admit that this one is definitely a curiosity... pardon the pun. I wanted to give it another spin to see if I could connect with the music this time... and you know what made the difference... volume. While most of the time we talk about turning up the volume on our favorite epic scores when listening to them, but with this score you really need to hear every nuance.
    -Erik-

That´s exactly why the score works so good in the film. It is never, never mixed too loud or over the top. That would have been the easy way, but they took exactly the opposite, and IMO they succeeded. The fact that you have to actually listen to the music (at least for us score geeks) makes the experieince of watching the (superb) film even better
    I have not heard it out of the movie, but I´m sure I´m gonna appreciate it more than if I had listened it before.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Shipping News - Christopher Young

Probably Young's last great work. A splendid score that captured the sound of Newfoundland perfectly!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

Probably Young's last great work. A splendid score that captured the sound of Newfoundland perfectly!

-Erik-

Agree! Damn! It's been too long since I played this.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's not the most original score out there but there is a lot that it does offer and I'm very interested to hear it in context this weekend to make my final judgment. I have 9 out of 10 scores on my Top 10 list for 2008 and there is a spot for Benjamin Button if it does its job in the film. I will tell you this, the latter half of the album is much stronger than the first.

Anyway, this a rare example where more listens are needed to get into the score. I often mention that as a weakness in a film score but this time I will put the blame square on myself for not really giving the attention the score deserved during my first few listens.

-Erik-

This score is so manipulative. In the movie, it's literally a wallpaper of sound, trying really Really REALLY HARD(!) to tug at your emotion. It tries desperately to warm up the movie, and most of the time fails at it. If anything it's the penultimate example of a Dial-An-Emotion score. 1 for curiosity, 2 for ponderous moment, 3 for poignant sadness. Not the score that the movie needed. Though it does work better as an album, but that's pretty much it for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP : Live Free or Die Hard | Copter Chase - Marco Beltrami

My favorite track from the album. It typifies what I love the most about Marco's action styling - the mix of rhythmic, interplay of percussion and brass and strings. Very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote

My favorite track from the album. It typifies what I love the most about Marco's action styling - the mix of rhythmic, interplay of percussion and brass and strings. Very enjoyable.

I prefer the track "The F-35" which, IMHO, is the only good track in the score that finally pays homage to Kamen's scores while still maintaining Beltrami's own style and upping the excitement level. The rest I can live without. BTW, the recording and mix really stinks.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

I prefer the track "The F-35" which, IMHO, is the only good track in the score that finally pays homage to Kamen's scores while still maintaining Beltrami's own style and upping the excitement level. The rest I can live without. BTW, the recording and mix really stinks.

-Erik-

I thought that the first track, Out of Bullets (I think), did a great job of segueing from the unique Kamen sound to the Beltrami style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Np: Goldfinger - John Barry

Groovy! cool Excellent score and what a fantastic tune.

Gooooold-fing-GA!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Goldfinger - John Barry

Groovy! cool Excellent score and what a fantastic tune.

Gooooold-fing-GA!

-Erik-

If you need a wake up call the opening bars of that song is it!

BA BAAAA WAH WAH WAH WAHHHHH punk cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Agree! Damn! It's been too long since I played this.

I loaned this to a friend who moved to Cornwall and I've not seen it since! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I love this score. Young's written some fine stuff since (I love An Unfinished Life) but probably nothing that tops this.
  1. NP: Almost an Angel - Maurice Jarre

Comedy score which doesn't sound like one for an obscure Paul Hogan movie from 1990. A great main theme with chorus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Afrika Wataru Hokoyama

I want more, it's too short. It's too good to be this short!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Ladies in Lavender - Nigel Hess

One of the finest scores I've heard this decade. This is how you write for solo violin!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Let the Right One In - Johan Soderqvist

I love the opening cue - such fine music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Pavilion of Women - Conrad Pope

Another one of the decades great works! Lush symphony orchestra, massive chorus with erhu and other exotic Asian instrumentation. Superb!

-Erik-
  2. lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's not the most original score out there but there is a lot that it does offer and I'm very interested to hear it in context this weekend to make my final judgment. I have 9 out of 10 scores on my Top 10 list for 2008 and there is a spot for Benjamin Button if it does its job in the film. I will tell you this, the latter half of the album is much stronger than the first.

-Erik-

This score is so manipulative. In the movie, it's literally a wallpaper of sound, trying really Really REALLY HARD(!) to tug at your emotion. It tries desperately to warm up the movie, and most of the time fails at it. If anything it's the penultimate example of a Dial-An-Emotion score. 1 for curiosity, 2 for ponderous moment, 3 for poignant sadness. Not the score that the movie needed. Though it does work better as an album, but that's pretty much it for me.

Dial-an-Emotion? Are you sure that isn't your brain interpreting scenes from the film in a cliched fashion and then inferring that the music is party to it? The music is trying steer as well as clear of THE NOTEBOOK or even tinkling sensitive FORREST GUMP-type scoring (now THAT's Dial-an-Emotion in the context of the film). In a film of remarkable artistry (even if Ben Button isn't always the story it could have been), Desplat's score is well up there with the best of it for me.

NP: Appaloosa (Beal)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Southall wrote
    Let the Right One In - Johan Soderqvist

I love the opening cue - such fine music.

For the sake of the good moments, this is a stellar score. There are a few cues that feel a bit ambient for their own good against the more lushly orchestrated style, but there's just enough of the right sort of music for it to be one of the best scores I've heard this year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Pavilion of Women - Conrad Pope

Another one of the decades great works! Lush symphony orchestra, massive chorus with erhu and other exotic Asian instrumentation. Superb!

This score has just ripped up near the top of my scores of the decade list (just behind Signs) and is one of my very favorite scores of all time! This is up there with some of the most underrated scores of the decade along with Christopher Gordon's On The Beach. If you don't own Pavilion of Women shame on you. wink You can find it used on Amazon for under $8. Get it while you can. You will not be disappointed.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote

Dial-an-Emotion? Are you sure that isn't your brain interpreting scenes from the film in a cliched fashion and then inferring that the music is party to it? The music is trying steer as well as clear of THE NOTEBOOK or even tinkling sensitive FORREST GUMP-type scoring (now THAT's Dial-an-Emotion in the context of the film). In a film of remarkable artistry (even if Ben Button isn't always the story it could have been), Desplat's score is well up there with the best of it for me.

NP: Appaloosa (Beal)

I think that the movie didn't need so much score. The movie is well made, (the first sequence in the movie was one of the most effective scenes in the movie for me) but the score tries too hard at timeI think there were too much music in the movie. Half the time, I'm more annoyed at how intrusive it is when I'm trying to enjoy the performance or a particular scene... oooh twinkling piano telling me it's a really sensitive moment. Forrest Gump is a different movie though, even if it was written by the same person.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Soldier - Joel McNeely

McNeely channels Jerry Goldsmith to compose one of the best Goldsmith scores not composed by Goldsmith. What a mean, raw, muscular and inventive score. McNeely was coming up with ideas that Don Davis was only dreaming about when he wrote his score to The Matrix two years later. And Shawn Murphy's mix is probably his most aggresive and tight sounding in recent memory. Awesome stuff! And the 5 previously unreleased tracks from McNeely's own web site are a Godsend. "A Whole Lotta Brass" and "End Credit" should have been included on the commercial album!

-Erik-