• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009
    Erik, you've had some good things on today. Soldier is great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik, you've had some good things on today. Soldier is great!

It has been a pretty good day hasn't it? It's been a while since I've felt this good concerning the selections I've made. Usually somewhere in there, there's a mediocre recent release that screws things up. Today I decided just to play the good stuff!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

I love Closing Credits! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Soldier - Joel McNeely

McNeely channels Jerry Goldsmith to compose one of the best Goldsmith scores not composed by Goldsmith. What a mean, raw, muscular and inventive score. McNeely was coming up with ideas that Don Davis was only dreaming about when he wrote his score to The Matrix two years later. And Shawn Murphy's mix is probably his most aggresive and tight sounding in recent memory. Awesome stuff! And the 5 previously unreleased tracks from McNeely's own web site are a Godsend. "A Whole Lotta Brass" and "End Credit" should have been included on the commercial album!

-Erik-

Is it just me or does part of the score sound exactly like materials from Horner's Aliens? I love the Soldier score, so it doesn't matter to me, but the similarity in percussion and theme is striking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Bear McCreary

Very impressive television scoring from a very impressive composer! cool

Agree beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. NP: The Possibility of an Island (Matthis Nitschke)

Doesn't work all the time, and the 3 source music cues don't work to my ears, but the score is strong. 'Daniel23 Leaves' and 'Finale' are impressive epic film music.

Just played... Bienvenue Chez Les Ch'tis (Rombi) - delightful!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009
    I Served the King of England from Ales Brezina.

I've never heard of the film. Has anyone else?
    listen to more classical music!
  2. NP: Twisted Nerve/The Bride Wore Black - Bernard Herrmann

It was a nice surprise to see this Kritzerland CD arrive today featuring a (short) selection of cues from a couple of Herrmann's later scores. I think that the cues on this 30-minute CD have been previously released on EP/LP but I have not come across these before.

Obviously I'm familiar with the main theme to Twisted Nerve (made famous to a new audience in the Kill Bill movie.)

Nice to hear the original tracks - though I think that both scores are served well by more recent suite re-recordings.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Little Mermaid - Alan Menken

Percussions... strings... winds... words!

cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates of the Caribbean : Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

A sadly poor album presentation which makes the score appear dull while in fact a lot of good movie version cues are left out. But tracks like Jack Sparrow, The Kraken, Davy Jones, Dinner Is Served and Wheel of Fortune are great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Batman: The Animated Series - Shirley Walker and others

Man I'm so glad this is getting released! Beautiful score and great themes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Wallace & Gromit (promo) - Julian Nott

dog
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Miya wrote

dog

Is that the 7 track one? I've asked Julian multiple times regarding releases but he doesn't seem that interested in getting the great TV scores out there. Much better than the movie score IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I've only listened to the movie score ("Curse of the Were-Rabbit") and liked it a lot.

NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - Hans Zimmer

The Hoist The Colors theme is one of the most memorable Zimmer themes ever IMO! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote

dog

Is that the 7 track one? I've asked Julian multiple times regarding releases but he doesn't seem that interested in getting the great TV scores out there. Much better than the movie score IMO.

Yes, the 7 track one. I found it somewhere I shouldn't know. wink

I enjoyed the movie score as well (though don't have the album yet), but sometimes it's too dreamworksnized (aka animated-MVish).

NP: SST
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote

dog

Agreed. I watched the movie and the new short on Christmas Day and the difference in quality of the scoring is striking. There's so much more wit in the scoring for the shorts; the movie is scored as if itt's Madagascar or Shark Tale, and it hurts the film. Such a shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    La Lune Dans le Caniveau - Gabriel Yared

Tango de l'Impasse! punk (I saw it live biggrin lick ). Bring backs memories to that fantastic concert. Thanks Michael.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote

dog

Agreed. I watched the movie and the new short on Christmas Day and the difference in quality of the scoring is striking. There's so much more wit in the scoring for the shorts; the movie is scored as if itt's Madagascar or Shark Tale, and it hurts the film. Such a shame.

I agree about "dreamworksnization" of the movie/score, but I really liked how they arranged W&G theme in several cues, which was Zimmer/Katzenburg's idea. It wasn't used in the classic shorts except opening & ending, if I remember correctly. (I don't know about the latest short because I can't see it so far)

I also love the uplifting theme for anti-pesto team, which (I think) was written by Julian.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Miya wrote
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote

dog

I agree about "dreamworksnization" of the movie/score, but I really liked how they arranged W&G theme in several cues, which was Zimmer/Katzenburg's idea. It wasn't used in the classic shorts except opening & ending, if I remember correctly. (I don't know about the latest short because I can't see it so far)

I also love the uplifting theme for anti-pesto team, which (I think) was written by Julian.

Yup, it definitely sounds like him. The movie score is trying to be an animated movie score, and since we've already got a bunch of those it feels diluted. The shorts are scored in such an over the top fashion they are brilliant.
  3. NP: Murder in the First (Christopher Young)

Finally got to own it, after having it on CDR for many years. this is one gorgeous score, I don't know if Young ever composed something like this again, but it sure shows his remarkable talent for writing a deep emotional work, I remember seeing the film and just loving the score from the first viewing... It has that quality to it that glues you to the screen and enhances the story and characters it supports. Highly recommended and one of Young's best.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    NP - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Shirley Walker)

Although the quality of this full length animated feature based on the series by Bruce Timm is questionable, Walker's score is ambitous, and perhaps the quintessential representation of all her work for Batman! This is perhaps not a masterpiece of any sorts, but the variations on the gothic main theme, both choral and orchestral, are exhilarating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: Murder in the First (Christopher Young)

Finally got to own it, after having it on CDR for many years. this is one gorgeous score, I don't know if Young ever composed something like this again, but it sure shows his remarkable talent for writing a deep emotional work, I remember seeing the film and just loving the score from the first viewing... It has that quality to it that glues you to the screen and enhances the story and characters it supports. Highly recommended and one of Young's best.

He did use a somewhat similar style in both The Hurricane and Something the Lord Made, if you fancy checking them out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    SHE - Max Steiner

After watching the DVD of She my respect for this score has doubled! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    SHE - Max Steiner

I've still yet to get this.

Are you familiar with James Bernard's score Atham?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    No. Can't say I am. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    SHE - Max Steiner

The Tribute Film Classics re-recording is splendid!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Something The Lord Made - Christopher Young

Just gorgeous. I love Young in this mode.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

One amazing ethnic and action score! A winner!! punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: Murder in the First (Christopher Young)

He did use a somewhat similar style in both The Hurricane and Something the Lord Made, if you fancy checking them out.

LSH wrote
    NP: Something The Lord Made - Christopher Young

Just gorgeous. I love Young in this mode.

cool

I'll have to check those out. I don't have that many Youngs and I was never really into him, but I'm on the hunt for the hidden gems of these less popular composers. Thanks guys.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

One amazing ethnic and action score! A winner!! punk punk

Or how he always maintained that sparkle of creativity right up until the end, I wonder if he were still alive, would he have accepted to do The Mummy 3, and would it have been as mindblowing as the original. My guess is one big YES SIRREE punk