• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: DEFIANCE James Newton Howard

Really nice score, but I can't place this one above The Village, I just can't shame

And you shouldn´t. It is however, the perfect companion piece. If you shuffle them together - just for a different listening experience - you wouldn´t notice they are from two different movies, and you get one very long score that has everything a great score needs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009
    Ice Age 2: The Meltdown John Powell

I could literally make love to John Powell right now. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button -Alexandre Desplat

It's not the most original score out there but there is a lot that it does offer and I'm very interested to hear it in context this weekend to make my final judgment. I have 9 out of 10 scores on my Top 10 list for 2008 and there is a spot for Benjamin Button if it does its job in the film. I will tell you this, the latter half of the album is much stronger than the first.

Saw the movie last night. Nice film. As for the score... another floater. It didn't enhance anything. Actually, only once we got into the second hour of the film did I finally take notice... and that was for a brief 10 seconds or so. And then there were two other moments when the score peaked its head out to say hi but for the most part it floats along and really doesn't do much of anything. I actually felt that the source material was stronger than the original score. Hummmm... where has that happened before? Oh yes, another Fincher film... Zodiac.

So, Benjamin Button will NOT be on my Top 10 list and will NOT be receiving any honorable mentions from me. Honestly, I've heard dozens of romantic comedy score that are stronger than Desplat's overrated work.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Please, NO slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: David Hirschfelder - Australia (promo: 5 tracks, 28 minutes)
    Sure, I know its got too much temptracklove for its own good, but this still has enough grandness (The Bombing of Darwin), charm (the didgeridoo of Nullah Enchants Sarah) and oldfashioned fun (Stampede) to grab my attention. An official release would certainly be welcome!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

As D would say..."no comment!"
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: The Day the Earth Stood Still (Tyler Bates)

Now I know why I was asleep when seeing this movie, my god it is even more worse on CD than I expected
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Day the Earth Stood Still (Tyler Bates)

Now I know why I was asleep when seeing this movie, my god it is even more worse on CD than I expected

Indeed. I´ve just listened "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Movie music at its worst.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    ... I actually felt that the source material was stronger than the original score. Hummmm... where has that happened before? Oh yes, another Fincher film... Zodiac.

Ah, another magnificent score. (In a better film, though.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Indeed. I´ve just listened "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Movie music at its worst.

indeed, pffff vomit

Bregt, don't worry, I will not review this score biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

I think it might be better for all of us if you leave out the life=scarring and let him continue writing good music. wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Last Crusade John Williams

Help me Williams complete this bloody essay.

FUCK I hate writing essays on crap I don't give a shit about. angry

And I hate studying for this stupid test for the most boring class ever.

NP: Doctor Who Seasons 1 and 2 - Murray Gold

Great music for a great show. Makes studying slightly less painful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ... I actually felt that the source material was stronger than the original score. Hummmm... where has that happened before? Oh yes, another Fincher film... Zodiac.

Shire score for Zodiac is dynamite... far, FAR better than Desplat's effort.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: DEFIANCE James Newton Howard

Really nice score, but I can't place this one above The Village, I just can't shame

And you shouldn´t. It is however, the perfect companion piece. If you shuffle them together - just for a different listening experience - you wouldn´t notice they are from two different movies, and you get one very long score that has everything a great score needs.

you're right, there were times I was wandering off in the Village territory, both feel similar even though again as said, it is The Village that feels and listens better for me personally
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'm reluctant to say far better, since the feelings they're trying to create (Shire = dread, paranoia, frustration; Desplat = longing, time passing, languid romance) are so different, but in ZODIAC, the music means more, because the film uses it to go deeper into its characters feelings. (Fincher seems content to keep a distance in BENJAMIN BUTTON, though that doesn't feel like something the music could have done a great deal about given the way everything else is told.)

Both of them have something in common. They are both scores that the average person wouldn't notice while watching the films, and yet (to me at least) they're at the peak of the craft, featuring writing most films could only dream of showcasing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    GEORGES DELERUE - tours de monde tours de ciel, followed by GABRIEL YARED - Cold mountain.

Truth to be told, and no matter how much i enjoyed certain released from the recent years, nobody writes in such a fashion anymore. Apart from very rare cases, like Desplat for instance. Is it a change of eras? Is it something deeper related to composers', cinema's and film music's quality? Who knows. But regardless, i am glad those works DO exist for us to enjoy, even from the past.

I'd disagree with you on this one Demetris. Only because there are times when I'm randomly listening to my "favourite tracks" playlist on my mp3 player and a track will come on where I think it's an obscure Delerue track - only to find that it's something composed by Ángel Illarramendi.

I find this happening quite regularly, so I'd say that Illarramendi does compose in the "Delerue style." When I have some specific examples I'll let you know.

But not on the Delerue quality wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

As D would say..."no comment!"

Certainly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'm reluctant to say far better, since the feelings they're trying to create (Shire = dread, paranoia, frustration; Desplat = longing, time passing, languid romance) are so different, but in ZODIAC, the music means more, because the film uses it to go deeper into its characters feelings. (Fincher seems content to keep a distance in BENJAMIN BUTTON, though that doesn't feel like something the music could have done a great deal about given the way everything else is told.)

Both of them have something in common. They are both scores that the average person wouldn't notice while watching the films, and yet (to me at least) they're at the peak of the craft, featuring writing most films could only dream of showcasing.

The score is magnificent. Period smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

indeed, pffff vomit

Pure, meaningless utter rubbish. Pass, and pass quickly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited
    Sylvos wrote
    Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea - Joe Hisaishi

Magnificent stuff. Very lush and heartwarming. Love the chorus and solo violin performances.
    My most Favorite track is #21 and the title of that cue is... I don't know, it's written in Japanese!

Here for you! smile

NP: SST
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

indeed, pffff vomit

Maybe his second "no stars" review. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote

But Shire's score had more to say and is actually a solid listen away from the film as well.

franz_conrad wrote

The writing may feature more technical prowess than others... I'll will admit that... the orchestrations are tight and well thought out but it just doesn't function well as a film score or as a stand alone listen. Like I said in my earlier post the score had nothing to say and made almost NO impact of the film. Weather that's Desplat's fault or n's... who cares... but if you are going to have a score that has nothing to say then why have ANY music at all.

I'd be very curious as to what a Howard Shore score might have sounded like. I'm rather disappointed that Shore wasn't consider for this project.

-Erik-
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

But Shire's score had more to say and is actually a solid listen away from the film as well.

-Erik-

What's the saying? "I'm sure you're right, but I suspect you're not."

NP: The Reader (Muhly)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button -Alexandre Desplat

It's not the most original score out there but there is a lot that it does offer and I'm very interested to hear it in context this weekend to make my final judgment. I have 9 out of 10 scores on my Top 10 list for 2008 and there is a spot for Benjamin Button if it does its job in the film. I will tell you this, the latter half of the album is much stronger than the first.

Saw the movie last night. Nice film. As for the score... another floater. It didn't enhance anything. Actually, only once we got into the second hour of the film did I finally take notice... and that was for a brief 10 seconds or so. And then there were two other moments when the score peaked its head out to say hi but for the most part it floats along and really doesn't do much of anything. I actually felt that the source material was stronger than the original score. Hummmm... where has that happened before? Oh yes, another Fincher film... Zodiac.

So, Benjamin Button will NOT be on my Top 10 list and will NOT be receiving any honorable mentions from me. Honestly, I've heard dozens of romantic comedy score that are stronger than Desplat's overrated work.

-Erik-

Phew... I thought I was the only one who wasn't too fond of the score wink

NP: Laputa - Castle In The Sky - Joe Hisaishi

Got this only recently. Has to become one of my favourites soon!! The action tracks and themes are terrific punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    [Many factual statements]

At least there are two of you to keep each other company.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    [Many factual statements]

At least there are two of you to keep each other company.

Good company.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'll just have to make do with Demetris and his hot Greek girlfriends I suppose... *sigh* rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    ^

bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Playlist for today -

The Lion King (Hans Zimmer)
    Kung Fu Panda (HZ and John Powell)
    Dinosaur (JNH)
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire (JNH)
    Raiders of The Lost Ark from the Indy box set (maestro Williams)
    Memoirs of a Geisha (Williams again)
    LoTR: Return of The King (Howard Shore)