• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. You sure of that Thor? my first encounters with videogaming was in the late eighties on the good old Commodore Amiga 500, an ancient beast now. I still remember the monochrome monitor I had with it. 2 colours, black and brown, that was the pinnacle of videogame graphics. Plus that computer had no hard drive, imagine that !!! All games came on floppies, copying software was about as common as chatting is now.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    You sure of that Thor? my first encounters with videogaming was in the late eighties on the good old Commodore Amiga 500, an ancient beast now. I still remember the monochrome monitor I had with it. 2 colours, black and brown, that was the pinnacle of videogame graphics. Plus that computer had no hard drive, imagine that !!! All games came on floppies, copying software was about as common as chatting is now.

My first exposure to videogaming (outside arcade halls) was in the early 80's, I'm guessing 1982/1983 or thereabouts. My father either bought or had borrowed this ol' console thing with a tennis game on it. We got our first "computer" in the mid 80's, which had two-three games on huge floppy discs, just green and black colours and straight lines to denote the "road" and a square to denote the "car" in one of the games. Not long after, the whole Commodore 64 thing happened, which again led into the Amiga 500, which was when you appeared on the scene. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DT, of course not mate, i was teasing you! But i still never believe you'd choose any console over that hot babe wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I remember playing Tennis on Atari shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    You sure of that Thor? my first encounters with videogaming was in the late eighties on the good old Commodore Amiga 500, an ancient beast now. I still remember the monochrome monitor I had with it. 2 colours, black and brown, that was the pinnacle of videogame graphics. Plus that computer had no hard drive, imagine that !!! All games came on floppies, copying software was about as common as chatting is now.

My first exposure to videogaming (outside arcade halls) was in the early 80's, I'm guessing 1982/1983 or thereabouts. My father either bought or had borrowed this ol' console thing with a tennis game on it. We got our first "computer" in the mid 80's, which had two-three games on huge floppy discs, just green and black colours and straight lines to denote the "road" and a square to denote the "car" in one of the games. Not long after, the whole Commodore 64 thing happened, which again led into the Amiga 500, which was when you appeared on the scene. wink

I have to bow down to my superior / elder. punk

Come to think of it I think the microbe bit me around the mid-80s, but those prehistoric games you talk of weren't experienced by the likes of me, not even Asteroids or something like that. I do confess though that the way the industry has evolved has always influenced / interested me. I'm constantly dumbstruck by the technological advances this particular branch of entertainment has seen over 30 years, more so than any other branch of entertainment.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009 edited
    Thor wrote
    Pfft...the "ol' times" of you guys is like yesterday to me. I was playing computer games before many of you were BORN!

Actually I started playing videogames with this beauty, and then with mighty MSX 2 by mid eighties. It seems it was yesterday, and it´s been more than 20 years! Metal Gear, Penguin Adventure, F1 Spirit, King´s Valley. Again, good old times.

Drwam Theater wrote
    my first encounters with videogaming was in the late eighties on the good old Commodore Amiga 500, an ancient beast now

An ancient beast now, but a BEAST at that time!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Ah! The Game&Watch portable mini-consoles, raw power and monochrome graphics in a handy package. Never owned one though, I was already a follower of Sega back then.

All this talk on retro gaming made me realise we're deviating into stuff, that is utterly uncool... for some at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009
    Avalanche rescue! Scary stuff but cool too. Check the commentary and video-
    http://vimeo.com/6581009
  4. BhelPuri wrote
    Avalanche rescue! Scary stuff but cool too. Check the commentary and video-
    http://vimeo.com/6581009

OMG! shocked

Being buried for just over 4 minutes seems long enough when sat in the warmth of your own home. Goodness knows what it must have been like for the guy that was buried.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009
    Why cats rule. Totally, without competition!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why cats rule. Totally, without competition!

Definitely in the tiger/lion family, yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    More like trap door spider cat.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Doesn't hold candle to Stalker Cat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    hahaha Stalker cat rules, they also call him Ninja cat! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Pathetic younglings.

After this one however I switched to Commodore and never looked back for nigh to fifteen years (going straight from the 64 to the Amiga).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Yeah that's a great one. cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

biggrin

Cutest thing ever!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009
    This guy beats the hell out of crappy guitar hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFLiP_He … dded#at=37
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote

Impressive! It should have been in the "clever people" thread.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited
    Chap in Uruguay spends around $300-500 on a short video on invading robots. Video gets viral. Now Hollywood is giving him $30 million to make his own film.

http://newslite.tv/2009/12/02/unknown-f … m-for.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    Gives a wholly new meaning to the phrase "youtube generation". Congrats to him!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    The video is very cool-looking though, impressive work!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    Brilliant!
  5. BhelPuri wrote
    Chap in Uruguay spends around $300-500 on a short video on invading robots. Video gets viral. Now Hollywood is giving him $30 million to make his own film.

http://newslite.tv/2009/12/02/unknown-f … m-for.html

wow, bloody amazing
    this guy made my dream come true, congrats dude shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    Someone apparently made this VERY cool film for only $550. Hard to believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk
    I am extremely serious.
  6. It's the same film as the post above, but admittedly mighty impressive.

If you got guts AND talent, Hollywood WILL love you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited
    The only thing I seriously doubt is the amount quoted: a (legal...) version of the software alone to do this will exceed 1500 dollars, so I wonder how this budget was calculated?

At the end of the day it's a very strong effort, nonetheless, and a GREAT contribution to the discussion here to show that the right kind of tools in the right kind of hands may have an overwhelming impact!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    The only thing I seriously doubt is the amount quoted: a (legal...) version of the software alone to do this will exceed 1500 dollars, so I wonder how this budget was calculated?

Indeed! It should be said that the guy who made the movie already works in a post-production company so he had ready access (and expertise) to much of the technology. Besides he could have had friends doing favors. But in spite of all that, $500 out-of-pocket for that video is amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    Of course a HUGE amount of expenses for movies goes towards the OUTRAGEOUS fees for leading characters (something that has been as annoying to me the whole bankers' bonus business of last year, or indeed even MORE so) and an INSANE marketing budget.

I have little doubt that on the whole a generic special efects film's budget would not be that mad.

I for one would not be in the least bit sad to see performers, actors and studios percentages clipped to a hundreth of what they are now (and no, I'm NOT talking about the poor saps who have to do the editing until late a night, or the make-up girl working for little more than minimum wage, obviously).
    I don't mind people with a special talent being pampered or remunerated in a special way, but no one in the world NEEDS to make several million dollars a year pretending (s)he's someone else.

Seriously.