• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Musicwise I would agre with D.: everyone with a PC and some musical aspirations is now a producer, and the (mainly electronic, house, urban and hip-hop) markets are flooded by wannabes on a level unprecedented in history, simply because in this day and age everyone can get his product out for all to hear.

Statistically that simply means there is way more crap to wade through than ever before, before finding a diamond in the rough. (That said, there are of course also benefits with artists being discovered through the webz that would have died an anonymous death thirty years ago due to lack of funds and exposure).

But would you agree with Demetris' original statement?

I see what he's saying, I understand that technology has allowed for a greater degree of lesser-works to be produced (but then, there have always been lesser-works ever since the advent of cinema), but does that mean the technology should only be allowed to be used by those deemed worthy enough? THAT'S my point, and that's what I vehemently disagree with. It's not that I'm disagreeing that bad quality work can't be found in films and music these days.... because, let's face it, there's things like High School Musical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "Plus the freely available nature of technology in cinemas have brought film-making to irrelevant, totally untalented fanboys, a place it should never go in the first place. Everyone can make a movie these days, people who don't necessarily have the cultivation and background of using those tools for just what they are and pay attention on focusing on the truly cinematic material instead......very few to almost none, can make a GOOD movie."

Where do i talk about "the technology should only be allowed to be used by those deemed worthy enough?" . I am no fascist. I just observe the fact that the more fanboys with no real cultivation knowledge and background on the subject matter get their hands on the technology, the more the crap. As simple as that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    BS Ralph, you probably don't follow my recent viewing posts and now playing posts too, or you don't read or you ignore or something, if you assume that i am disappointed by everything that gets out these days. wink Just make the trouble to read what i write about the new stuff i love ( i even adored 2012 for God's sake) or scroll back into the recent viewing thread before jumping into conclusions and labeling someone simply because they don't agree with you.

You´re right, I haven´t read the "Now Playing" and "Recent Viewing" topics recently because I´m just filled up with the "I like that", "I don´t", "Why", "Because it sucks", "You do, too" chains of arguments. I´m barely following ANY kind of review topics ANYWHERE these days. Everyone has an opinion. That´s okay. But I´m tired to explain why I love this or that against people who are predetermined to disagree with me on everything or who are just too "educated" to have fun with mediocre stuff anymore.

I answered to what you said in this topic; I reacted to what your posts felt like and sounded like. That´s not BS, that´s having a conversation, Demetris. Now that you mentioned it, I remember you like stuff like the Transformers score sometimes, but that makes it even harder to accept your "everything´s going down" attitude that you are showing sometimes. I didn´t want to put something into your mouth, I just reacted to what you said right here, as does Steven. I also remember that you stated not so soon ago that you´re tired with the state of art in general and with people who accept and defend the state as it is. If that doesn´t fit to what I wrote above, I don´t know. And you just said yourself right here that quality is going down the toilet. It isn´t. It´s just more people producing stuff, and it´s harder to find the good stuff, like Steven and Martijn said, but it´s still there, as you´ve seemed to notice on the "Now Playing" and "Recent Viewing" topics.

And what I really don´t like to hear anymore is that BS about me using cheap tricks to win an argument. It just makes me avoid discussions even more. If that´s what you want so you can win, there you go, you have it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited
    Ralph, you're contradicting yourself. If you publicly announce that you don't care about our opinions, our likes and do not like's, then how do you call your self-defense on the argument of discussion? If you don't have valid opinions on someone since you don't bother to be informed about those individuals in the first place, how can you accuse me of lacking debate skills or anything like that?

I have strong rejections against crap which is over-flowing is day by day whilst you seem to like everything that comes your way, regardless what (And i DO follow your posts and opinions, i am not assuming based on isolated events or writing in isolated topics) but that's not the point, it's your right to like everything and all you want, who am I to label you or call you names? Same applies to you i am afraid; not anyone who doesn't agree with you or share your opinions is miserably, grumpy or dark or fascist. Face it.

What i am saying is if you're going to accuse me, then i am afraid you'll have to get informed properly first and if you're not willing to do so, your argument against me will be completely invalid, the way i see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It all seems simple enough?
    D. laments the fact that technology has become so easily available that the absolute amount of Poor Material (and I am encompassing every single form of art here for sake of ease) has grown.
    Steven, from that lament, extrapolates the conclusion that therefore this technology should only be used by Those Worthy Of It. (Which indeed D. did not suggest, although the conclusion from the curmudgeonly grumblings is an easy one to make).

It's the difference between looking foward and looking backward.
    D. commented on the past, Steven is looking towards the future.
    No wonder you can't agree.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Demetris, I was not accusing you of anything, I was reacting to something you said in this topic and others I´ve read and remembered in this situation. And just because I do not read every single topic on this board I have no right to object to something that you stated here, in this topic? Where does that end? Should I have to read your blog, too, before I am allowed to answer to anything you said, because I´m not informed well enough? If you don´t mean what you say here, you´re the one who is contradicting himself.

Yes, I´ve been known to "like stuff", and I don´t make a secret out of it, but it´s not so easy as you want it to be. It´s not that I like everything, it´s just that I take something and look for what I like about it instead for the stuff I don´t like about it, because, in the end, this is just more satisfying. And I did say that on many occasions, so you´re doing the very same thing you´re accusing me of, stating something rather blunt and simple about me that´s just half the truth.

What you did was talking about my technique of talking instead of focusing on what I said, and looking for things where I might have contradicted myself (which I didn´t) instead of just answering to the point I made, that you sound bitter and depressed about the state of art. And that wasn´t even an attack, but an observation I made and commented on. Evil me. How could I have ignored that you like stuff sometimes? What that has to do with your general view, which you have stated since then again and again and which was all I was commenting on is beyond me.

Of course you like stuff. Everyone has something he likes. But what does this have to do with how you sound and come across while talking about how things are going down the toilet everywhere? I was talking about your general attitude towards things as expressed in this and other topics, and please correct me if that attitude is not how I described it earlier. So why are we even having this discussion? I said you sound as if you seem to hate everything based on what you said here and elsewhere. You said that it´s not the case. Okay then. Now where is the problem?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    "Plus the freely available nature of technology in cinemas have brought film-making to irrelevant, totally untalented fanboys, a place it should never go in the first place. Everyone can make a movie these days, people who don't necessarily have the cultivation and background of using those tools for just what they are and pay attention on focusing on the truly cinematic material instead......very few to almost none, can make a GOOD movie."

Where do i talk about "the technology should only be allowed to be used by those deemed worthy enough?" . I am no fascist. I just observe the fact that the more fanboys with no real cultivation knowledge and background on the subject matter get their hands on the technology, the more the crap. As simple as that.

Well, I was paraphrasing. It's an example of how it could have been construed.

So, last try. You said:

...untalented fanboys, a place it should never go in the first place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a little more than observing. That's plainly insinuating that certain people should not be allowed access to whatever technology you might have been referring to! And as I said, I see your point - I too would rather it only be used by genuinely talented people. But who gets to decide? It's better to let more people make films and find real talent than risk it going unheard of. That's why I believe film making technology and its ease-of-use and access is a good thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But surely I've addressed this... Oh, I give up.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Just in case: I sign everything you said there, Steven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    :sigh:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oxygen for Mr D wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Hmmm... exactly 9 days to go for world premiere of AVATAR. bhangra fireworks
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009
    So far the reviews of Avatar have been good.

Here's one

Here's another
  3. From the second link:

It is overwhelming, and that is because you are emotionally tied up in the characters and the story.

That's all I need to know that I'm going to love Avatar. He has never in any of his films let the characters be one-dimensional or take second place to the action / effects.

Some people - who have only seen the photos and not the film - have commented that it looks a bit cartoonish.
    It doesn't. Everything feels real. It's as if Cameron has happened upon this alien world and got his camera out.

And this !!! punk cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Here is Empire's 5 star review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice to read these comments!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    (rt had the same reviews for 2012 the first week it came out)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009 edited
    Oh....Did you notice Cameron wearing same cloth than John Williams?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    "You can safely stow away all that spurious crap about videogame-style effects, or blue Jar Jars: this is truly next-level stuff, which doesn't smother Worthington and Saldana under a pile of pixels, but rather teases out and enhances the emotion in their excellent performances".

"If you can let go of your version and embrace Cameron’s – if you’re not, in other words, one of those splenetic internet fanboy types who’ve apparently made their minds up about Avatar before seeing it – then Avatar is a hugely rewarding experience: rich, soulful and exciting in the way that only comes from seeing a master artist at work".

"Avatar is an astonishing feast for the eyes and ears, with shots and sequences that boggle the mind, from the epic – a floating mountain range in the sky, waterfalls cascading into nothingness – to the tiny details, such as a paraplegic sinking his new, blue and fully operational toes into the sand. The level of immersive detail here is simply amazing".

I CAN´T FRIGGIN WAIT.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. It'll blow everyone's expectations away, that's for sure. JC has never ever failed me before. punk

Terminator 2 was the first of his films I saw in the theatre: blown away and then some.

True Lies was next: mightily impressed by the fun factor.

Titanic came along: I had to go back three times to recollect my jaw that had dropped each time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently there are two cinemas in The Netherlands that suggest showing it in 3D...except these are IMAX cinemas, not 3D cinemas...so I'm not sure what's going on?

I'll be sure to have a look if the favourable reviews keep up, but I'll probably wait until January.
  5. We may be bankrupt... but we have 3D cinemas. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Apparently there are two cinemas in The Netherlands that suggest showing it in 3D...except these are IMAX cinemas, not 3D cinemas...so I'm not sure what's going on?

I'll be sure to have a look if the favourable reviews keep up, but I'll probably wait until January.

"....a feeling that will be enhanced further if you can - and we really, really recommend that you should - catch it in 3D, where Cameron’s unparalleled and meticulously constructed use of the technique expertly envelopes you in the beguiling, exotic sights and sounds of Pandora, a planet (or, to be precise, a moon) that throbs and hums and teems with life and energy in three dimensions".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    We may be bankrupt... but we have 3D cinemas. tongue

No wonder you're bloody bankrupt! tongue

Marselus wrote
    "....a feeling that will be enhanced further if you can - and we really, really recommend that you should - catch it in 3D, where Cameron’s unparalleled and meticulously constructed use of the technique expertly envelopes you in the beguiling, exotic sights and sounds of Pandora, a planet (or, to be precise, a moon) that throbs and hums and teems with life and energy in three dimensions".

Not sure what you're telling me?
    I said I'd like to, but not sure if I actually can in The Netherlands.
    No amount of "but you should" is going to change that particular impediment. dizzy
  6. I´m not sure how far you would go for this, but if it is shown in English somewhere along the border, would you like me to tell you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nar. As I indicated earlier, it's HIGHLY likely I would have to leave after 45 minutes anyway, so I'm not making too much of a song and dance about it. Sure, I'll try it, but only if it's not too much effort and cost. Otherwise...well. Too bad for me.

But thanks, Ralph.
    The offer is appreciated. wave
  7. Nah, you're welcome. I doubt there will be an english screening anyway, but if that´s the case, I would have loved to be of any help.

With one positive review after another coming in, I sure as hell hope you'll be able to do this someway.

And I get a strange feeling this will be a hit after all. I never doubted it would be a great thing, but I had few hopes for a success. The raving reviews may change the tide.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Marselus wrote

Not sure what you're telling me?
    I said I'd like to, but not sure if I actually can in The Netherlands.
    No amount of "but you should" is going to change that particular impediment. dizzy

Oh my bad shame . I read it too fast and I presumed you were not interested in the 3D version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    South park replacing the Avatar native people with the Smurfs, really funny material!

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=TXHU55YO