• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009 edited
    BTW, which kind of games are using 3D? confused

(And I have to go now, I´m sorry. Will return later. GREAT discussion!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009
    I think 3D is fantastic. It gives the filmmakers another tool, just like CGI. To see how 3D shoudl be used, just watch Up. It doesn't have to be a cheap gimmick that only applies to teens! I honestly can't see why Demetris has such a problem with it - he reminds me of a very old man opposed to the 'talkies'. biggrin

For the times they are a-changin' as one songwriter once sang.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    (yeah) Not for the rest of the sentence though, which applies more to the tendency to make movies look like games more and more. That doesn't belong to cinema.

Isn't that way more an indictment of the overabundance of shoddy CGI in movies?
    That's what annoys me! These overbearing toyetic properties!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't like the notion that wants movies to look like games (avatar, gamer, etc) especially if it's further reinforced by 3D. But it's a still infant technology, we'll wait and see. What i am saying is that i won't hold a flag and start blowing horns just because a movie is 1)3D and 2) new wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Sunil wrote
    Don't you think that 3D is really harmful to human eyes?

I think it doesn´t matter what I think. I´m sure in twenty years, there will be lots of studies about the topic that will either prove or laugh about your theory. wink

Seriously speaking, i had an discussion with my close friend that he told me that this was the reason why many filmmakers don't opt for making movies in 3D. That might harm the eyes of human. I don't know how far its true. But making a wild assumption, if we frequently watch all the movies in 3D, there is a possibility of losing our eye sight. wink biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't like the notion that wants movies to look like games (avatar, gamer, etc) especially if it's further reinforced by 3D. But it's a still infant technology, we'll wait and see. What i am saying is that i won't hold a flag and start blowing horns just because a movie is 1)3D and 2) new wink

Well that's up to the filmmakers. I'm sure it will be used both in good and bad ways, exactly like CGI. I think the technology itself is fantastic - but the way it's used, like celluloid itself, will differ in quality. To me, it sounds like you're against it simply because it might be used in a gimmicky way. But think of the terrible films that have been made in 2D! It's the painter that matters, not his brush.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I have no idea where that "gaming" stuff is coming from. If you´re referring to that "Viewmaster" tech, I´m quite sure is was developed after the Fifties, after 3D was developed for cinema.

Nope: stereoscopic viewing (which is the Viewmaster technique) was already in vogue in the 1890s as a gimmick.
    It's actually developed from photography, and crossed over into salon talks and oddities, which is closer to games than to films, I'd say.

But the whole point to my mind is neither here nor there.
    3D -as some seem to forget- is HOW WE HAPPEN TO PERCEIVE THINGS.
    So I'd say it's the NATURAL way of looking at things.

Now there's a HUGE challenge to translate that properly into any other medium (photo, film or game), and make sure there's no overabundance of data, and a linear and logical perception. Make no mistake: there's as much work to be done here on the psychological and the physical/physics level as there is on the purely technical one!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    There's simply no business sector in the world that will sacrifice that kind of market for an innovative platform that will yield no additional benefits (as the market segment of the intended demographic remains the same).

3D films at my cinema cost one third more to see than the same film in 2D. So sacrificing 10% of potential viewers is no problem at all.

If it's a film that would benefit from it then I don't really mind it - my concern is that the studios make far more money from selling DVDs and Blu-Rays (and selling tv rights around the world) than they do from people going to the cinema and obviously those are media that will need the film to be in 2D. So it's impossible, because of that business reason, to make a film that truly needs 3D to view it. So it ends up being a bit of a gimmick, until they can find a way of watching decent-quality 3D on your television at home (which I suspect is a long way off).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Natural it is alright. But i am not sure how cinematic its values are in reality.

Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well that's up to the filmmakers. I'm sure it will be used both in good and bad ways, exactly like CGI. I think the technology itself is fantastic - but the way it's used, like celluloid itself, will differ in quality. To me, it sounds like you're against it simply because it might be used in a gimmicky way. But think of the terrible films that have been made in 2D! It's the painter that matters, not his brush.

I am not against it. I am worried 'cause the rise of technology in cinemas equals a rapid increase of output and a rapid drop of quality during the last 10 years or so. Is that truth, or not? The same applies to film music too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    If it's a film that would benefit from it then I don't really mind it - my concern is that the studios make far more money from selling DVDs and Blu-Rays (and selling tv rights around the world) than they do from people going to the cinema and obviously those are media that will need the film to be in 2D. So it's impossible, because of that business reason, to make a film that truly needs 3D to view it. So it ends up being a bit of a gimmick, until they can find a way of watching decent-quality 3D on your television at home (which I suspect is a long way off).

Oh it is. The ways of coding, compressing and transmitting that vast amount of data 3dtv would require, still don't exist not by a long shot, from what i've read and studied so far. The industry is still struggling hard to reduce the bandwidth needed for transmitting the current technologies (hd) and they still have a lot of way to go with this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, I can see D.'s point, up to a certain point: CGI was hailed as the greatest thing since stereo, and it's only truly enriched movie history in a very few select cases, even though it's being used and abused in everything from cartoons to sci-fi spectacles to historical romance.

One of the things that I found utterly spellbinding about the film Moon was the utter lack of CGI and the use of models. (I didn't know: I only learned this after I'd seen the film and raved about how good it looked).
    I don't care what anyone says: you can see it, and it does make a difference. The depth, dimension and perceived massiveness registers on some level. I have no idea on the psychology of it, but it'd make for a fine thesis, I think!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Now there's a HUGE challenge to translate that properly into any other medium (photo, film or game), and make sure there's no overabundance of data, and a linear and logical perception. Make no mistake: there's as much work to be done here on the psychological and the physical/physics level as there is on the purely technical one!

I'm all for advances in 3D cinema films. It paves the way for true 3D entertainment... do you know how long I've wanted a holodeck!? (And the things I would do... <devilish-grin>)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, I can see D.'s point, up to a certain point: CGI was hailed as the greatest thing since stereo, and it's only truly enriched movie history in a very few select cases, even though it's being used and abused in everything from cartoons to sci-fi spectacles to historical romance.

One of the things that I found utterly spellbinding about the film Moon was the utter lack of CGI and the use of models. (I didn't know: I only learned this after I'd seen the film and raved about how good it looked).
    I don't care what anyone says: you can see it, and it does make a difference. The depth, dimension and perceived massiveness registers on some level. I have no idea on the psychology of it, but it'd make for a fine thesis, I think!

Psychology is where all our technologies in the audio visual area are based so yeah, good point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    3D films at my cinema cost one third more to see than the same film in 2D. So sacrificing 10% of potential viewers is no problem at all.

Crap.
    I hadn't counted on that. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

Natural it is alright. But i am not sure how cinematic its values are in reality.

But that's the thing everybody is arguing: it has no values in and of itself.
    It's just a technique.
    It's there.
    Without any moral or aesthetic compass.

It can be used.
    It can be abused.
    A with most any other technological development.

Now I'm as weary as the next guy on how it'll be used primarily (hell, the first run of 3D in the fifies/sixties also only saw cheapie horror and sci-fi flicks in 3D as these rendered the most opportunity for exploding spaceships and axes being thrown at your head), but I'm not holding that against the technique proper.

In fact, I'd be fascinated to be able to see (though it's likely I never will sad ) a full-immersion story.
    Can you imagine -for example- the likes of Jurassic Park, where you'd be IN the jungle?
    The 3D would never be the star... the story, and the dinosaurs are...but it'd add -quite literally- a marvellous extra dimension.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As long as the 3D is kept as an additional tool as a means to tell a story, rather than the tool, then I don't see the problem. It worked great in Up: It wasn't distracting, it wasn't gimmicky, and it was used in conjunction with the story. There were no "look over theeeere" (cue epic waving hand motion from left to right) moments.

I think Avatar is the first proper 3D live action film, and hopefully Cameron will have set a standard for 3D in live action films. Up certainly has for animated ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Best proof of that is that I saw the film in regular 2D, and there was no "slow point" in the narrative that was clearly created just to "show off" 3D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Best proof of that is that I saw the film in regular 2D, and there was no "slow point" in the narrative that was clearly created just to "show off" 3D.

Ditto.

But then I saw Christmas Carol in 3D and thought - there are parts of this that will make no sense to a 2D viewer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

There are actually bits and pieces of CGI in MOON too, both in the outdoor scenes and - amazingly - the Artifical Intelligence "GERTY"! It's all very seamless, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I have no problem with 3D but I can only repeat what a film critic said: "I would like to see deepness in the story rather than in the visual" I completely agree with it. A good drama doesn't need 3d, that's for sure. 3D is mainly good for the visual effects-driven pictures. So my only concern is that if 3D will rule in the cinemas, then good, dramatic storytelling becomes an endangered specie, I'm afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    I have no problem with 3D but I can only repeat what a film critic said: "I would like to see deepness in the story rather than in the visual" I completely agree with it. A good drama doesn't need 3d, that's for sure. 3D is mainly good for the visual effects-driven pictures. So my only concern is that if 3D will rule in the cinemas, then good, dramatic storytelling becomes an endangered specie, I'm afraid.

Indeed. The overuse and abuse of new technologies or the total dependence on it with no substance, is what brings shallowness and lack of depth in cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    That's why I am really curious what Avatar will be like. Cameron does have talent for character and good storytelling so I'm eager to see what the revolutionizing of 3D technology does to him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Everytime I hear people say "Oh my god, look, it´s all CGI. That´s bad. God curse CGI", I cringe.

It´s true that the rise of CGI has changed movie-making, a lot. But there were always those trash movies. During the Seventies and Eighties, it were those monster movies with bad prosthetics and effects, the SciFi trash. These days, even trash movies have high production values and look great. That´s why it´s harder to say beforehand what´s trash and what´s not. I don´t think we get more trash, I think we get better looking trash that´s sold as A-movies but is indeed nothing but C or D storywise. Also, a lot of filmmakers have to get accustomed to the fact that CGI alone won´t save your movie if the story is bad. Lucas fell into that trap. I doubt Cameron will do the same, but we´ll have to see.

What I do not and will not support is the point of view where CGI enhanced movies are bad because of the CGI itself. Some things wouldn´t have been possible (or would have looked ridiculous) if done with standard effects. But beside that, I think we can seperate four different kinds of CGI movies.

1) Invisible & Enhancing CGI
    There are those which use CGI only as a support to get things done. Filming in L.A. and inserting CGI skyscrapers to make us believe we´re in New York falls into that category, as do the ping pong balls in Forrest Gump, and I think we would all agree that this kind of stuff is great and fantastic. Altering the reality to make us believe we´re in a different time (like early 20th century New York, for example), is a subcategory, unless it creates a specific artistic view like London in Sweeney Todd or Rome in Gladiator, then it falls under category 2.

2) Massive World-building
    The CGI is used to create a totally different environment. Depending on the quality of the CGI or the artistic view of the director, this can either work or not. Personally, I find this to be one of the most amazing things to do with CGI, and one of the best reasons to do it. After all, setting the stage at another time or world is a part of entertaining storytelling, and CGI is the only technique that makes it possible. Bigatures, as the miniatures for LOTR were called, are another possibility, but they always need CGI enhancement for support, so CGI is the way to go. Even if the director forgets that a story needs likable characters doing interesting stuff, I can totally feel entertained just by watching this strange and different place IF the CGI is done well and believable. As much as the SW prequels suck story- and characterwise, I could spend hours watching details and looking at the beauty of the worlds of the SW universe. I´m sorry, but the old trilogy never looked as if they were on another world (Dagobah being the one exception); this is where the new trilogy truly shines and does what it does best. King Kong has the same quality. I expect Avatar to fall into the same category, with the 3D as an additional method of enhancement. It´s there where I see the best use and the assumed greatness of the tech, showing us things we can not ever see in any other way.

3) CGI as Story
    In this category, CGI is used to drive the story. What happens on screen is mainly supported by CGI. 2012 would be the most obvious current choice, but I strongly believe that this is no bad thing either. If the story is strong, nothing speaks against this technique. My proof? Jurassic Park. And the Riddick movies with their astrophysics problems which are just genius. Of course, Avatar will rely heavily on CGI to enhance the story, but as I see it, it is another part of showing us this strange new world. There just IS no normal life to fight with or against, so they have to use CGI creatures. This is why I don´t think Avatar falls under the gimmicky CGI category.

4) Pixar & Co.

Toy Story. Ice Age. Final Fantasy. Totally CGI-created world. Nuff said. No bad thing either.

So, what now? I think CGI is a great tool to help and enhance making films of EVERY kind of genre. There are hundreds of movies out there which use CGI just to enhance this or that element which you just don´t notice, and I applaud them for that. And when used to create new worlds and new civilizations, CGI artists are able to show me what Roddenberry made me dream about since thirty-five years ago.

It´s just in those CGI spectacle movies where CGI is a gimmick that´s used to sell us something we would never look at otherwise (2012). They look great, they are sold as A-movies, but the truth is, they are the trash of the 21st century. And I can live perfectly with that, since that´s hardly the majority of movies released. Just because they are seemingly everywhere that doesn´t mean that they stand for what CGI is about. As a matter of fact, I think there are just a dozen or so each year.

But there are so many good examples for use of CGI that I can´t see why anyone would doubt that the rise of CGI was a bad day for storytelling. Beside the fact that there are still hundreds of movies coming out each year which have no CGI at all and just tell their little or great story as good or as bad as ever.

Now let´s talk again about the question whether 3D truly is a danger to good storytelling...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    There are actually bits and pieces of CGI in MOON too, both in the outdoor scenes and - amazingly - the Artifical Intelligence "GERTY"! It's all very seamless, though.

Yes, you're right of course. shame
    I should have mentioned explicitly I was talking about the models, not the compositing and clean-up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Everytime I hear people say "Oh my god, look, it´s all CGI. That´s bad. God curse CGI", I cringe.

Two different things again:
    God curse CGI? Not a bit of it. CGI can be used to wonderful effect (witness, like you say, it's supporting role in films like Jurassic Park or any other film where CGI aspects are blended seamlessly with a true-life background.)

I completely disagree with you on the world-building thing, though. which always looks plastic to me (case in point Jackson's King Kong where -in wry contrast to other versions- nothing BUT the ape looks real!). But then we butted heads over this before.

To me the best use of CGI is a supportive one, and in that capacity true visionary visual styles for films are now possible.
    Lucky us!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Martijn wrote
    I completely disagree with you on the world-building thing, though. which always looks plastic to me.

Then how would you do it instead?

Any attempt to accomplish world building not done with CGI has failed in my opinion. Be it matte paintings or similar stuff, they are beautiful, yes, but hardly feel real at all. Bigatures work for buildings or specific nature structures but nothing else. The only thing that felt convincing at the time was Dagobah. Everything else always feels like studio to me. Be it Legend or The Dark Crystal, those are really, really beautiful movies, but they never feel real, not for a second, and as soon as you add creature work, it gets worse.

I have experienced CGI to work different with each kind of viewing. Things that look frakking amazing in the cinema look incredibly fake on TV, and the other way around, so I certainly agree that the "real" factor is still in question here or there. On the other hand, CGI is just another way to simulate reality, as are models, matte painting, and other stuff, which doesn´t look real either. Of course, CGI screams at you that it wants to look real, so it´s a lot easier to say, "nah, but it isn´t, so it fails", and that beside the fact that we KNOW it isn´t real, so it´s bullshit anyway. ^^ Why can´t you lean back and say, "wow, I know it´s fake, but the details and the design are amazing, the creatures are beautiful". Why does it have to be perfect to succeed? As with any other effects, a lot of work and talent went into it making it. They are no less artists that the guys who did the beautiful model building or the paintings, which are and look no more real to me than CGI. There are so many shots in that documentary style Avatar trailer that just leave me breathless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I completely disagree with you on the world-building thing, though. which always looks plastic to me.

Then how would you do it instead?

Existing locations, suitably "coloured up".
    California was a great Endor. Norway a great Hoth. El Teide a great neolithic landscape.
    Et cetera.

The only benefit of full CGI landscapes is that you can do things that actually do not exist (and therefore by very definition will look unreal. Which is fine). But recreating existing landscapes (jungles, lava, rocks) without incorporating real-life elements simply has never looked convincing enough to me.
  1. Hoth? That was just snowcovered mountains. shocked Now I´m beginning to see the problem.

I´m not sure I get what you mean by real-life elements. Have you seen the documentaries on King Kong? They used a mix of CGI, miniature and real plants and forest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Snow covered mountains are cool. cool

wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Snow covered mountains are cool. cool

wink

Real ones are! cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt