• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009
    3D unfailingly gives me a headache. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009 edited
    biggrin

Seriously though, there's games and there's the charming feeling and look of the film in cinema. Mixing the two is a very bad idea with commercial roots (of course), trying to aim more and more to the teenage masses who have (obviously) very low standards and spend so much more in the cinemas than older generations. I am glad i'll be seeing it in standard cinema.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'll be seeing it in 3-D, just to see what it's like, but I am sceptical. The one good thing about it is that it is projected digitally, which is a serious improvement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Indeed; to show movies in 3D, you have to use digital projection automatically, which means those updated theatres can show 2D movies digitally from now on, and THAT improvement would be hard to deny even by the harshest critics. My first digital movie projection was like as if getting new glasses - everything was incredibly sharp, down to the smallest details. That was an eye-opener in itself.

Regarding to 3D, I can see where that "marketing trick" approach and scepticism is coming from, but after all, they are trying to get the audience into 3D since the Fifties, so this is hardly a new trick, just another try at pimping things up. 2D isn´t going away, but indeed I see 3D as an additional possibility to lure people back into theatres to watch a movie, which is where it actually belongs, in a theatre.

Beside that, I don´t have to wait for Avatar to know about the effect 3D has on me. Personally, I like it very much. Years ago, we had an IMAX, and the experience to see a 3D movie on a big screen was amazing. There was a scene with people sitting around a table at an inn, and it was filmed to make you believe that you were sitting there with them, and it worked. It was NOT about throwing things at you, not about showing off some shiny effects, it was just to pull you into the setting, and it was breathtaking. If Cameron went for that approach with Avatar, this truly could be a revolution.

In the end, EVERYTHING is done to earn money. So what? As long as it is GOOD, I have NO problem with that. If the 3D enhances this "new world" experience the way I hope it does, this is EXACTLY what I´m paying for. And since it´s a Cameron movie, we´ll get lots of action and amazing effects work, too. I see nothing bad about this AT ALL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...except I wasn't kidding about the headache.

Unless there's some new procedure, this is not a happy development for me.

But then I'm not particularly worried, what with the extremely sad state of Dutch cinemas (I think there's still only one digital-projection cinema in the whole of the country, and it's in some godforsaken outpost no one without a four-wheel drive or a helicopter would be able to reach anyeway).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In the fifties there were no electronic games. Now, that those are at their highest peaks, it's the right time and the market is ready for the new technology but allow me to have my doubts on its overall quality just yet. You seem predetermined to like it no matter what, i am awaiting to see first and then decide. After all, all my 3d experiences so far weren't particularly great (in Beowulf i got a headache too) and i'd not rate them higher than standard cinema. Just wait and see is what i am saying, not everything new is better than the past (lossly compression in mp3s taking over the musical world vs the cd and vinyl for instance).
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I am in no way predetermined to like the 3D in Avatar no matter what, that is just ridiculous. If it´s done badly and doesn´t help the movie at all, I´ll be one of the first to tell you about my dissatisfaction.

But I just know that if Cameron not only used, but enhanced a technique I´ve already seen being put to good use, then I will like it.

Yes, it can give headaches. It happens to me as well, and there is no way around it, but the newest 3D tech reduces that effect a bit. I´ve seen Ice Age 3 done that way, and it really was an improvement.

I don´t know if I would rate 3D higher than 2D cinema, for me, it will always depend on the movie and the way 3D is used and done there. As with any kind of new tech, it´s about how it is used that makes the difference. Prejudging it just because it´s new and shiny is bad in both directions, whether you like it or you hate it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Yes, it can give headaches. It happens to me as well, and there is no way around it, but the newest 3D tech reduces that effect a bit.

Damn.
    That isn't very reassuring.

In fact, some quick research yielded that almost no one can watch a 3D film without physical discomfort (usually expressed as a head ache) and almost 10% of people is unable to watch 3D films altogether!
    10%! shocked

I fear very much this is not a development for me. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Watching a very long movie is very uncomfortable for some people, too. People have lots of difficulties to sit through it because they are heavy smokers, have to go to the toilet regularly, or just have the urge to move their legs regularly. And then there´s the audience: All that noise, that whispering and talking and the cell phones, and stuff.

I agree that headaches are worse than all of that combined. But in the end I guess it depends on what you´re ready to invest into watching a movie.

It´s the same with rollercoasters: Using them might induce fear, dizziness and headaches, too. Still people ride them.

Yeah, some people might not be able to watch 3D, and I´m sorry about it, for them, of course. But that doesn´t say anything about the probability of success or whether it´s a "good" tech or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sure, and I should probably have added that the few times I've watched 3D movies (very brief ones! 45-60 minutes!) I ended up with severe double vision well before the end and a truly splitting headache that took a day to subside. SO I'm understandably a bit more focused on possible downsides. To me it's more than just being uncomfortable. It's a pretty severe hindrance.
    (It's probably to do with a cylindrical deviance I have in my right eye. Makes my contacts pretty expensive too. slant )
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I´m very sorry to hear that.

My wife has certain problems with her vision that might cause her the same kind of problems, but I hope it will work out. Maybe we´ll check another 3D movie before we´re going to see Avatar. I would hate if we had to leave the theatre somewhere in the middle of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    But that doesn´t say anything about the probability of success

Ah, but it certainly does!
    In fact, it's one of the top concerns for the industry: are we or are we not going to push on with a technology that 10% of media consumers is physically unable to watch?

That's a concern they never had with the advent of colour, or stereo!

(The other two of the top three concerns are indeed sheer technical: how to translate quality demands into 3D products.)

It's two different questions: the tech per se is obviously neither good nor bad. It's just new.
    But whether it's a viable success is still a long way off from having been definitively determined!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I´m very sorry to hear that.

Cheers Ralph. Just bad luck I guess.
    Apparently it's related to being able to "see" those 3D "wonder charts" as well, if you remember those: weirdly coloured pixels on a sheet which you'd have to stare at for a certain amount of time and then you'd see something in 3D.

I have never, ever been able to do that (and it's not for lack of trying).
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Martijn wrote
    But whether it's a viable success is still a long way off from having been definitively determined!

Sure, and I´m far from saying that 3D will be the next step, I just doubt that it will fail because of that viewing problem. How large is the percentage of people who never go into a (2D) theatre for any other kind of reasons?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stereo and Film are two qualities that stand still and very strong no matter how many years have passed since their first usage. They have very good and strong qualities (based on audio-visual perception of the human being) and it's very, very hard to replace them entirely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    How large is the percentage of people who never go into a (2D) theatre for any other kind of reasons?

Not sure what you mean? I don't think there's a very large percentage of the population that misses out on cinema because physical impossibilities or defects.
    Well, the blind, obviously?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    and it's very, very hard to replace them entirely.

Like I said: it's impossible!
    Not without losing 10% of your audience in one fell swoop.

There's simply no business sector in the world that will sacrifice that kind of market for an innovative platform that will yield no additional benefits (as the market segment of the intended demographic remains the same).
  1. Martijn wrote
    Apparently it's related to being able to "see" those 3D "wonder charts" as well, if you remember those: weirdly coloured pixels on a sheet which you'd have to stare at for a certain amount of time and then you'd see something in 3D.

I have never, ever been able to do that (and it's not for lack of trying).

I´ve talked to my wife about these "wonder" books just this morning. As a matter of fact, watching a 3D movie very much feels like when you finally "got" the 3D object and then go on watching it for a prolonged time. I guess if you were able to do it, you would get a headache quite soon.

My wife can see them, so I hope for the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Has your wife ever been with you to see a 3D film, Ralph? What was her experience?

If not, I'd be very interested in how it goes next time she comes along.
  2. Guys, at least at the moment, 2D replacement is not even considered or an option. So let´s just concentrate on the tech for what it is, another way to watch a movie, and not look at it as a potential danger for what you love and hold dear.

I really can´t see where this kind of negativity about 3D is coming from. Every movie that´s shwon in 3D is shown in 2D as well, so where´s the problem? If you don´t like it, so be it. But you seem almost afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's unnatural. It belongs to the games' genre, not cinema. It should stay there. Every attempt to mix any elements from games with cinema has failed miserably 'till now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    confused

Afraid?

I'm just discussing the pros and cons of the technique, and the market ramifications.
  3. Martijn wrote
    Has your wife ever been with you to see a 3D film, Ralph?

Just one of those 3D fair attractions that didn´t go very long, so we don´t know what will happen. I will love to give you a full report when we´re done. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Yes, it can give headaches. It happens to me as well, and there is no way around it, but the newest 3D tech reduces that effect a bit. I´ve seen Ice Age 3 done that way, and it really was an improvement.

I don´t know if I would rate 3D higher than 2D cinema, for me, it will always depend on the movie and the way 3D is used and done there. As with any kind of new tech, it´s about how it is used that makes the difference. Prejudging it just because it´s new and shiny is bad in both directions, whether you like it or you hate it. wink

Don't you think that 3D is really harmful to human eyes?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  4. Martijn wrote
    confused

Afraid?

I'm just discussing the pros and cons of the technique, and the market ramifications.

The "afraid" thing was more or less referring to Demetris. I can understand why you don´t like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's unnatural.

lol
    Good one! applause

EDIT: (Erm. You were kidding, weren't you?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    (yeah) Not for the rest of the sentence though, which applies more to the tendency to make movies look like games more and more. That doesn't belong to cinema.
  5. Sunil wrote

I think it doesn´t matter what I think. I´m sure in twenty years, there will be lots of studies about the topic that will either prove or laugh about your theory. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sunil wrote

No.
    Some of the techniques employed to projecting the 3D image cause an inordinate strain on the eyes, but that's got sod-all to do with the fact that it's 3D. For example: a very poor frame rate in 2D can be just as (or even far more) annoying and painful to watch.
  6. I have no idea where that "gaming" stuff is coming from. If you´re referring to that "Viewmaster" tech, I´m quite sure is was developed after the Fifties, after 3D was developed for cinema.

I´ve always seen 3D coming from the movie industry, not from the gaming industry.