• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Fuck you. I can't see until the week after Christmas since everyone's buggered off home... slant

Did I mention I can get 4 people in free too? Come see it man!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I wholeheartedly agree with Ralph. This is a movie that will be remembered, it's a milestone. How big a milestone it is and what it'll bring exactly and when, we don't know yet, but it's surely an experience that's wholly singular and special, and you'd be a fool to miss.

I've been saying it for a long time, but I never had any doubt that Cameron wouldn't deliver on his promises. That this movie wouldn't be anything less than a milestone. With everything he did for the big screen he has managed to blow away my expectations and even though some reviews over here say it's not brilliant at all, Avatar will blow me away, and that fact alone will make it brilliant in my head. It's not a movie, it's an experience, just like Titanic is. Avatar is something that I will want to relive again and again.

I'm going for the 3D version tomorrow. Most excited feeling I've had for a film this year, for many years actually.

Oh believe me. Titanic is silent, black and white cinema in comparison to AVATAR.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I wholeheartedly agree with Ralph. This is a movie that will be remembered, it's a milestone. How big a milestone it is and what it'll bring exactly and when, we don't know yet, but it's surely an experience that's wholly singular and special, and you'd be a fool to miss.

I've been saying it for a long time, but I never had any doubt that Cameron wouldn't deliver on his promises. That this movie wouldn't be anything less than a milestone. With everything he did for the big screen he has managed to blow away my expectations and even though some reviews over here say it's not brilliant at all, Avatar will blow me away, and that fact alone will make it brilliant in my head. It's not a movie, it's an experience, just like Titanic is. Avatar is something that I will want to relive again and again.

I'm going for the 3D version tomorrow. Most excited feeling I've had for a film this year, for many years actually.

Oh believe me. Titanic is silent, black and white cinema in comparison to AVATAR.

Not that silent b/w films are a lesser type of cinema, but yeah - I see what you mean. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Now I've seen it I can safely say this is the best movie of the year for me. It was the most riveting, emotional, exciting and escapist experience I've had in a long time. JC has done it again, not that I had a doubt he wouldn't but I'm lucky to be able to say I was there when I saw the start of the whole 3D revolution. Because it was utterly fantastic in 3D and if you said 'okay that's nice' with previous 3D films, you will not hesitate to feel amazed when you literally step into the world of Pandora and live through the adventure and feel emotions of the fantastically realized CGI characters. The characters' expressions and emotions are so believable my mind can't believe they aren't real. Amazing technology to make this feat happen. If Beowulf occasionally got it right, take Avatar as the standard for how CGI films should be made. Once again Cameron sets that standard. And 3D is used to optimal effect, though not for showing off.

After about 20 minutes my brain got used to the 3D effect and I was in for the remainder of the duration. Only when the end credits rolled by I was taken out of Avatar. But I want to go back in right now. It's that wonderful!

Let's all go see it, so a sequel will be made, because I want more of Pandora and it's inhabitants. I want more of this awesomeness !!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2009
    NIce! Thatś the beauty of it, you immediately forget the techicallities (i.e. "fake" aspect of the cgi and all) of what youŕe watching and you're once and for all connected to the characters and the story in a complete and wholly emotional way. It's easily not only the best movie of the year, but also one of the most important films of the last decade. Again, i can't stress hard enough how everyone should watch this at the 3D cinema....it will be a shame, that some people will watch it just through a dvd or even worse, at a pc screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009
    There's a bootlegged cam version of this uploaded on rapidshare. Talk about missing the point! shocked

Don't worry, I wasn't even slightly tempted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know you weren't. I saw that too, having seen the feature in 3d, i can tell you i felt a knot in my stomach when thinking that MANY people are going to watch that and start expressing views on AVatar, a movie where even blu-ray and the best home theater will not justify even at 50%!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Just came back from the cinema. I´m still in shock after watching the movie so I can´t express all I feel right now. Let´s just say it´s been one of the most impressive experiences I´ve ever had in a theater (probably THE most impressive). Ten minutes into the movie and you ARE in Pandora. The world Cameron has created is simply huge, and not even two and a half hours can provide a glimpse of its inmensity. The characters (the Navi are more expressive than most of the actors you can see in the movies nowadays), the perfect use of the 3D effect (not throwing things to your face every five minutes but actually being part of the story),... so many things that we will probably discuss in the coming days. IMPRESSIVE.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    There's a bootlegged cam version of this uploaded on rapidshare. Talk about missing the point! shocked

Don't worry, I wasn't even slightly tempted.

I expect nothing less from you. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Marselus wrote
    Just came back from the cinema. I´m still in shock after watching the movie so I can´t express all I feel right now. Let´s just say it´s been one of the most impressive experiences I´ve ever had in a theater (probably THE most impressive). Ten minutes into the movie and you ARE in Pandora. The world Cameron has created is simply huge, and not even two and a half hours can provide a glimpse of its inmensity. The characters (the Navi are more expressive than most of the actors you can see in the movies nowadays), the perfect use of the 3D effect (not throwing things to your face every five minutes but actually being part of the story),... so many things that we will probably discuss in the coming days. IMPRESSIVE.

That is the right word: Impressive. Magnificent , stunningly visually speaking. The world he has created, the forest. I have to see it again very soon. It is a marvel.

I was astonished by the Pandora world. During the movie, I kept thinking of the art of the artist Roger Dean from the early seventies.

http://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/Flo … r_Dean.jpg

http://www.irishblogs.ie/images/153216.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … sunami.jpg

http://home.iprimus.com.au/danmcpharlin … _rdean.jpg

http://www.bergoiata.org/fe/dragons/jw% … 20Dean.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/NHXhXE7vPrE/0.jpg
  2. Marselus wrote

right on Marselus, I too was raving about this movie even hours after I've seen it. It was simply put brilliant. The emotional strength coming of the Navi is the driving force what makes this movie so brilliant, because we all knew Cameron could deliver us a big explosive spectacle. Easily put, this is THE blockbuster that doesn't disappoint. I liked the score a lot as well, perhaps not original but man what is a thrill in the movie, making the experience even better. Cameron has not made special effects, he has made it real. Another brilliant movie up the repertoire of James Cameron

10 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Oh, absolutely! It's ironic how little, how small and insignificant any shot you'll see from the movie on the pc seems, in comparison with the real thing. Like the trailer which was really off-putting, but this, the real thing, is a once in a lifetime experience. Cameron has really put himself up there with the best filmmakers ever, with this baby.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    ^ Oh, absolutely! It's ironic how little, how small and insignificant any shot you'll see from the movie on the pc seems, in comparison with the real thing. Like the trailer which was really off-putting, but this, the real thing, is a once in a lifetime experience. Cameron has really put himself up there with the best filmmakers ever, with this baby.

He already was by the time I saw T2 in the threatre. beer

And I forgot to mention this but Horner's score was the first of it I heard in the movie and I loved it. Unoriginal is the key word, but oh so damned effective. Hoping my CD will get here soon.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go see this again, it's been since Fellowship of the Ring when I watched a film more than once in the cinema.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Tintin wrote
    That is the right word: Impressive. Magnificent , stunningly visually speaking. The world he has created, the forest. I have to see it again very soon. It is a marvel.

Indeed. I have to see it again in the coming weeks. I don´t think one time is enough to fully appreciate it.

Tintin wrote
    I was astonished by the Pandora world. During the movie, I kept thinking of the art of the artist Roger Dean from the early seventies.

Wow, watching this drawings, I guess Cameron might have thought about Roger Dean to create his world too.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    right on Marselus, I too was raving about this movie even hours after I've seen it. It was simply put brilliant. The emotional strength coming of the Navi is the driving force what makes this movie so brilliant

Actually, it would not have bothered me more footage from the Navi people, specially regarding Sully becoming one of them.

Christodoulides wrote
    It's ironic how little, how small and insignificant any shot you'll see from the movie on the pc

Oh yes, it is not even close to what it really is. Even the trailer, as you say, was disappointing at the time it was released (you know, all the talk about it being like a videogame with smurfs). And talking about pc screens, shame on those who decide to download this. This has to be LIVED properly at a cinema. As it has been said many times in this thread, a lifetime experience.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthortimme
    I saw the film yesterday in 3D also and I was blown away by it. Besides all the effects and CGI I was happy to finaly see a film with a good story. Ok not an original one but still it worked. You could relate to the carathers, even if they were CGI. But I'm certanly going to watch this on DVD again in 2D, just to see and feel the difference, because I'm not all that convinced about the quality of the 3D cinema. First the 3D glasses I got were full of stains, so I had to clean them, and when the film begon I felt that the colors weren't that bright. How colorfull Pandora may be, I didn't feel that at all time. After 15 min you're used to the 3D and it doesn't feel that special anymore. Horner's score in this film was great, it did work, even the gladiator part at gathering the clans. But music is very well represented on the soundtrack, there's not much music lacking. The only thing that I'm missing is the complete version of WAR. The part where the Ikran's attack, you hear a great piece of music on the brass section and that's not on the cd, I think.
  4. Hey Tim, I thought the 3D was great. Granted you get used to it after a while, but only because it's so natural to watch a film like that. It's like 2D won't cut it anymore, though I'm still going to love every second of it, when it's released on Blu-ray. And the image was bright enough when I saw it... colours were vivid and natural, well as natural as a made up world can be.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I just got back from my free screening (ok sorry, won't mention that again). wink

- Incredible effects
    - Predictable story
    - Michelle Rodriguez is hot
    - Run of the mill score
    - Quarich standing in the cockpit of that massive gunship sipping a flask of coffee was hilarious
    - Overly long
    - Did I mention I want a gunship that size?
    - The who section between the destruction of the massive tree and the final battle should have been cut..it dragged!
    - GUNSHIP cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "- Michelle Rodriguez is hot"

OH; SHE IS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Run of the mill score? I've heard it once and know that's not true!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    timme wrote
    After 15 min you're used to the 3D and it doesn't feel that special anymore.

I saw this on 3D last night. I'm suffering a huge headache now. spin
    The 3D effects do wear out after a while like you said.
    As for the movie... how many times have we seen the same kind of story? It's full of masala.
    It's funny as to how many times that danger motif appeared.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    I just got back from my free screening (ok sorry, won't mention that again). wink

- Overly long
    - The who section between the destruction of the massive tree and the final battle should have been cut..it dragged!
    :

Yes and yes.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Run of the mill score? I've heard it once and know that's not true!

More importantly, you caved Steven, you caved! sad wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009 edited
    I did. But I am at least waiting until Friday for my second listen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    3d fx wearing out? --> That's because they're so natural you get used to them after 10 minutes in the movie. Tried to take away your 3d glasses and see the screen with a naked eye, then put them back on to see the difference?

the movie dragged a bit? --> not at all, every single frame is there for a reason and at the end i was in desperate need for more brilliance!

run on the mill score? --> it fits and elevates the movie perfectly. I wouldn't change a single note. Not even the song which was perfect when the end credits rolled.
  5. The scenes between the tree falling down and the ending battle was something I wouldn't want edited in any way. It's perfect.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    The scenes between the tree falling down and the ending battle was something I wouldn't want edited in any way. It's perfect.

TOO. MUCH. INFORMATION.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Damn, sorry, my mistake. face-palm-mt

But Anthony started it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh he did did he!? slant angry frank
  7. It's a great film. More than makes up for TITANIC, in my opinion.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's a great film. More than makes up for TITANIC, in my opinion.

punk