• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007
    The main thing for me was the innovative use of the seasons-spanning plot. The whole epic thing with the battle between light and dark and all the political ramifications and details was just mind blowing.
    And yes, the Londo-G'kar relationship is one of the most interesting, powerful and moving ones in recent television history.

As for Deep Space Nine, I never watched Star Trek after The Next Generation, to be honest, apart from the odd two or three episodes here and there. All I remember from Deep Space Nine was a hilarious scene where the commander (Cisco?) knocks out Q ("You HIT me! Picard NEVER hit me") and the -in my opinion- best Trek episode EVER where they matched a new plot and new footage seamlessly into the old The Trouble With Tribbles episode from teh original series. That was bloody excellent!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Yeah, each and every Trek series had, of course, many many great episodes mixed with a lot of standard and a lot of bad stuff. But it´s as you said, B5 brought the season-spanning saga back to TV, and DS9 tried to jump on that bandwaggon, but you could easily notice they didn´t have a clue where they wanted to go. Motivations and Characterizations went this or that way from one week to the next, alliances were broken and rearranged so often just for dramatic impact it was a pain in the ass to watch it. You can see how this mess continues in Battlestar Galactica, Ron Moore´s current pet (Moore wrote a lot of DS9 stuff). This guy is unable to write a longer storyline without changing its premisses every few episodes, though Galactica is certainly a large step ahead of everything else that is called SciFi these days. In fact, I can´t wait for the fourth and final season, where they finally have to explain all this mess. But even if that bombs (which is what I expect), BSG is still frighteningly good when it deals with polical issues.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Nino Rota - Romeo and Juliet
    John Murphy - 28 Days Later
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

Joep. Are you ill?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Joep wrote
    Nino Rota - Romeo and Juliet
    John Murphy - 28 Days Later

I was drunk on Whiskey just now.

Threw the bottle away, I'll never touch a drop again wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Recently ordered:
    3:10 to Yuma - Marco Beltrami
    Moby Dick - Christopher Gordon
    Beowulf - Alan Silvestri
    The Green Mile - Thomas Newman
    The Dark Crystal (La-La Land) - Trevor Jones
  3. I was listening to one of the battle cues from Babylon 5 and it certainly made me think of the show - Franke seemed to like having ponderous (in the sense of it being relatively slow compared to the on-screen action). Doing this, I always thought that he was able to give a sense of scale rather than reinforce the action that could already be seen on the TV.

In this sense it's quite similar to the Williams' "Imperial Cruiser Pursuit" from Star Wars. The tempo is quite ponderous in the brass (but with frenetic strings) - giving size to the gargantuan pursuing Star Destroyers.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    Just arrived:

- Vangelis - Blade Runner (25th Anniversary Trilogy)

cool
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was listening to one of the battle cues from Babylon 5 and it certainly made me think of the show - Franke seemed to like having ponderous (in the sense of it being relatively slow compared to the on-screen action). Doing this, I always thought that he was able to give a sense of scale rather than reinforce the action that could already be seen on the TV.

In this sense it's quite similar to the Williams' "Imperial Cruiser Pursuit" from Star Wars. The tempo is quite ponderous in the brass (but with frenetic strings) - giving size to the gargantuan pursuing Star Destroyers.

Yeah, he used that sometimes. But there is also a lot of power-speed-action stuff that makes you quite nervous while listening to it for too long.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Ennio Morricone - Sorstalanság
    Vincent van Warmerdam - De Noorderlingen
    Vincent van Warmerdam - De Jurk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    Joep wrote

Does it star Steve van Martin? biggrin

shame
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    De Jurk is Dutch for The Dress wink
  5. Steven wrote
    Joep wrote

Does it star Steve van Martin? biggrin

shame

biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Does digital downloads count?

Ah, I guess they do. I only downloaded two albums:

Lair (John Debney and Kevin Kaska)
    Atom Nine Adventures (Robert Gulya)
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If you bought them, yes, they count.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    I did. wink

I also bought select songs from the "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Video Game" soundtrack: "Welcome to Hogwarts", "Wand Battle", "Death Eaters" and "Dumbledore and Voldemort".
  6. Christmas gifts this year:

Bernard Herrmann - North by Northwest (Varese CD Club)
    Hans Zimmer - Crimson Tide

The Herrmann is something that shouldn't be explained. Crimson Tide I've wanted original for a long time.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    I got my copy of Lawnmower Man 2 a few hours ago and have enjoyed every bit of it. Hopefully my copy of Mercenaries will arrive later on this week.
  7. I got AVP:R for christmas. As you can imagine, I couldn´t play it during our nice little celebration, but I´ll come to it later. I got the first two Complete Recordings of LOTR, too. I am a happy consumer now. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    Ralph, tell us what you think of it! (AvP:R)
  8. I will. But I think I´ll wait for a moment when I am in the mood for 80 minutes of orchestral slaughter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    After all the fuss about AVP:R, I hope you like it. I think it´s one of 2007 best, not ashamed to say it.
    But you´re right, better find the time / mood for it: it´s not a score tu put in the background while you do something else if you know what I mean. Is a score tu play it loud and enjoy (wait ´til you hear "Decimation Proclamation" and then we speak wink)! punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  9. Yeah, I know. I heard Decimation on Tyler´s page and knew I would love the score under the right circumstances. ince I got a new headphone too, I think I will wait til I destroy my ears until a later time. smile
  10. Some CD-Rs I received by post on Christmas Eve:

Harry and The Hendersons - Bruce Broughton (~35 mins release)
    The Goonies - Dave Grusin (~20 mins)
    Stardust - Ilan Eshkeri
    Highlander - Michael Kamen/Queen (~70 mins)

Stardust sounds the best of the bunch so far (IMO).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Some CD-Rs I received by post on Christmas Eve:

Stardust - Ilan Eshkeri

Stardust is indeed the best of them, but I must say that The Goonies is a rather fun score and the best moments aren't even on it. I have that Goonies Harry score too and I really wished The Goonies receives the same treatment as Harry and the Hendersons did wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    Marselus wrote
    After all the fuss about AVP:R, I hope you like it. I think it´s one of 2007 best, not ashamed to say it.

It SO, TOTALLY is.
  12. There are 3-4 cues on the limited The Goonies selection that make me hope for the "Intrada treatment" for this score. I hadn't heard any of this score before but I was aware of the frequent requests from people for a release when "most requested" lists were posted.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Some CD-Rs I received by post on Christmas Eve:

Stardust - Ilan Eshkeri

I'm guessing Highlander is a boot? Does it have Queen singing "New York, New York" on the disc Alan?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. Yes, Highlander is a boot. And I'm glad that I didn't pay money for it...very underwhelmed with what I hear. Though there seems to be several versions around - some with less Queen and more Kamen!

There is a 47 second cue, "New York, New York", but there's not much lyrics from Queen other than "New York, New York".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yes, Highlander is a boot. And I'm glad that I didn't pay money for it...very underwhelmed with what I hear. Though there seems to be several versions around - some with less Queen and more Kamen!

There is a 47 second cue, "New York, New York", but there's not much lyrics from Queen other than "New York, New York".

Yeah that sounds about right though I seem to remember the cue as being longer than 47 seconds? Pounding drums topped off with Freddie's short statement of the main lyric.