• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited
    Marselus wrote
    EnemyToo wrote

He should've gotten IRON MAN!!! ARGGHH

Agree. He could have delivered something great. Sadly, we´ll never know.

Personally, I think he would've pulled a Zathura kind of thing, nothing too spectacular. Now, Ramin hasn't really done something like this yet, so I'm not that frustrated with the switch (but the thought that the movie won't be that memorable helps, of course wink).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    Personally, I think he would've pulled a Zathura kind of thing, nothing too spectacular. Now, Ramin hasn't really done something like this yet, so I'm not that frustrated with the switch (but the thought that the movie won't be that memorable helps, of course wink).

Well I have to say that I´d have prefered a Zathura rather than what Djawadi might come up with (I hope to be highly mistaken here and Djawadi delivers a great score, but...). As much sympathy as I have for ALL the RC guys, most of which I like, I doubt he can achieve Debney´s finesse with this kind of scores. But I truly wish to be proven wrong.
    And you´re right, I also think the movie won´t be that memorable, I think more of a "Daredevil" than a "Spiderman".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Oops.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    Or even just a higher bitrate! tongue
  1. Off "Bedtime Stories" (Ruper Gregson-Williams ON)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008
    Composer John Debney recently recorded his huge score (a 100-piece orchestra, plus choir) to the Eddie Murphy comedy STARSHIP DAVE. ScoringSessions.com has exclusive photos from the scoring session, so come check it out!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/126/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Note to Eddie Murphy... stop making movies especially sci-fi comedies.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Note to Eddie Murphy... stop making movies especially sci-fi comedies.

-Erik-

I wish he'd just stop breathing!

A bit strong maybe? wink ....I don't wish him dead.

I used to find him funny until I realised he was a mysogonistic racist prick!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008 edited
    Pooh... I watch the thread get bumped and had a tiny hope that Debney would be back on for Iron Man... nope. sad

The man gets robbed, I tell you. Save for Cutthroat Island, Passion, Hocus Pocus and Lair Debney just doesn't get more projects more deserving of his time or his talent... just like David Newman.

I would like to hear the exact reasons Favreau/Marvel/Paramount picked Djawadi over Debney for Iron Man. I know producers have a big hand in picking a composer (or letting the director pick their own composer), but didn't Favreau have any say in the matter?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    I enjoyed quite a bit Evan Almighty, hope Varèse will possibly release that one too. Sounds like it's going to be in the same vein.
  2. I'm still confused why the Passion Symphony was never released on CD/DVD or even performed very much. It's like it never existed. The Passion of the Christ is probably my favorite score of Debney's as well. My favorite track from the score is "Bearing the Cross." I also love his score for Paulie and Elf. The two have insanely memorable themes.

-Nate
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    Matt C wrote
    Pooh... I watch the thread get bumped and had a tiny hope that Debney would be back on for Iron Man... nope. sad

The man gets robbed, I tell you. Save for Cutthroat Island, Passion, Hocus Pocus and Lair Debney just doesn't get more projects more deserving of his time or his talent... just like David Newman.

I would like to hear the exact reasons Favreau/Marvel/Paramount picked Djawadi over Debney for Iron Man. I know producers have a big hand in picking a composer (or letting the director pick their own composer), but didn't Favreau have any say in the matter?

Iron Man really should have fallen into Debney's lap. I mean he works on Favreau's first two movies, Elf and Zathura (two pretty good scores BTW), which it's safe to say is Debney's typecast, then Iron Man comes along and he gets scrapped. It's as though scoring Elf and Zathura didn't do anything except for put two more family comedies on Debney's resume.

I completely agree 100% with this. One would have to assume it had something to do with Zimmer and not Djawadi, they most likely chose him because Zimmer couldn't score it and he recommended Djawadi. They must really not have wanted Debney for some reason.

Does anyone have any insight on why Djawadi was chosen and Debney not? Someone in the business or an insider???
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Evan Almighty had some very strong parts in it, quite surprisingly for the kind of movie it accompanied. In that vein, i am looking forward to this new project as well although admittedly Debney is capable of way much more than what he gets these days.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    justin boggan wrote
    Off "Bedtime Stories" (Ruper Gregson-Williams ON)

Hmmm. I'm not sure John was ever signed to do this one?

mc
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    Mikael, you seem to be somewhat of an insider, do you know why Debney wasn't hired for Iron Man?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've never heard any music by Djawadi, what's it like?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I've never heard any music by Djawadi

Oh, I bet you have!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Oh, I bet you have!

Proove it! tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Oh, I bet you have!

Proove it! tongue wink

Ever listened to Gladiator? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Or King Arthur, or Shrek, or The Holiday, or The Simpsons Movie, or...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Okayokayokayokayokay.....y'got me! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Are you people serious? slant If Djawadi's isolated music was as good, then his solo scores so far would actually have something worthwhile to them.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Southall wrote

But he didn't provide any score for those films... he did Batman Begins, Something's Gotta Give, POTC: CotBP, and Thunderbirds.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    EnemyToo wrote
    Mikael, you seem to be somewhat of an insider, do you know why Debney wasn't hired for Iron Man?

Nope. A couple of rumors only, one being that Jon Favreau was impressed by Ramin's score for Open Season (Jon did one of the voices in that) - I don't know if that one is true, though...

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008
    Adding yet another family comedy to his filmography, John Debney has been hired to compose the music for Hotel for Dogs, Dreamworks upcoming film version of the Lois Duncan 1971 children's book about two teenagers who secretly house nine dogs in an abandoned hotel.

More at:
    http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … -dogs.html

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Adding yet another family comedy to his filmography, John Debney has been hired to compose the music for Hotel for Dogs, Dreamworks upcoming film version of the Lois Duncan 1971 children's book about two teenagers who secretly house nine dogs in an abandoned hotel.

More at:
    http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … -dogs.html

rolleyes

Does he really need to be involved with this projects? I mean, the man that composed "The Passion Symphony" should be working in things like "Hotel for Dogs"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He's a composing whore, he'll take any job.

...okay, so maybe a little harsh. But I think he treats it more like a 'job' than most other composers considering the crap he scores. Sure, he's an artist when needs be... but mostly a gun for hire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, he needs to feed his kids, right? I think the problem more lies with the director's that hire him. I can't blame him for taking the jobs he gets offered, I'm sure he'd prefer the better jobs as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    He's a composing whore, he'll take any job.

...okay, so maybe a little harsh. But I think he treats it more like a 'job' than most other composers considering the crap he scores. Sure, he's an artist when needs be... but mostly a gun for hire.

Yes you may be right, but a composer of the A list I think should be more selective with what he works on. I´m sure Debney has no money problems, so I can´t understand when I see him in projects like this one, unless he really loooooves to score this kinda films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Well, he needs to feed his kids, right? I think the problem more lies with the director's that hire him. I can't blame him for taking the jobs he gets offered, I'm sure he'd prefer the better jobs as well.

Would it be too hard to believe that he actually LIKES working these projects.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!