• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    I've always found Titus to be a bit of a difficult listen on album. A great great score, but not as easy listen.

True, especially the in-between more experimental music with the sax etc. Maybe Michael Collins is generally a smoother listening experience on CD?

It was one of my earliest Goldenthal albums - it and Interview with the Vampire were the ones that made me a huge fan. I'd still say those two should form a very early part of any Goldenthal collection.
  1. For me Michael Collins was one of my later purchases, don't know why I never got around buying it at the time. Glad to have corrected that mistake.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. christopher wrote
    Hmm, that's a lot of reviews! You could save me some time just by telling me which one to buy first....I still don't have anything by him. shame

Final Fantasy, it is one of his more approachable scores
    Sphere, Alien 3 & Titus are for the more trained ears

Michael Collins is good though too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'll get FF:TSW first, though it's going to have to wait a while. First I need to replace a windshield, among other things...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    christopher wrote
    Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'll get FF:TSW first, though it's going to have to wait a while. First I need to replace a windshield, among other things...

Priorities, priorities!
  4. Beware: playing Final Fantasy loud in your car can result in another cracked windshield. You have been warned!

Or as Sunil would say, it's groundbreaking.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Beware: playing Final Fantasy loud in your car can result in another cracked windshield. You have been warned!

applause
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Beware: playing Final Fantasy loud in your car can result in another cracked windshield. You have been warned!

Or windshield breaking!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009
    I watched PUBLIC ENEMIES last night and i noticed there's much music missing from the CD release, mostly emotional music which goes along with the rest of the bolder material already present on that CD. But it's interesting enough, it should have been included in a larger duration score CD release.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. But tell me... do you like the film?
    I thought it wonderful.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2009
    Indeed. A very mature, realistic and down to earth film like very few i've seen in the last years. Of course the air smelled HEAT all over, especially at the gunfight scenes but i loved the director's angle, the handheld digital camera which came in contrast to everything portrayed (from the dramatic situations to the era itself) and of course the performances were ALL top-notch, no exceptions. The score aided the movie immensely, at the points it needed to escape realism into more lyrical and dramatic paths, Goldenthal delivered a Zimmer-TTRL influenced, but still heavily liturgical score. Impressive work overall.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2009
    Final Fantasy is my favourite by him.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009
    KevinSmith wrote
    Final Fantasy is my favourite by him.

Very hard to disagree there Kevin, maybe Titus comes close?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Titus is my favourite. There are many good ones though and hardly any misfires. It was Interview with the Vampire and Michael Collins which really turned me on to his music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd go with Batman & Robin (shame it doesn't have a proper release though, the 2 disc bootleg is awful).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'd go with Batman & Robin (shame it doesn't have a proper release though, the 2 disc bootleg is awful).

Give it time, I'm sure this will get a proper release one day. Batman & Robin is a good example of the music being too good for the film it's written for ( a dreadful, appalling film )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's probably the greatest example! The score is as good as the film is bad. dizzy
  7. More confusingly, the score is as good as the film is as the bootleg of the score.

Actually that's a lie. I remember liking Batman & Robin, but that was a while ago. Maybe I should rewatch it to check if I'm still nuts? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're right, that is confusing.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    I've heard that Titus is schizophrenic to listen to?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is WHAT? Titus is along with FINAL FANTASY top moments in film music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009 edited
    I understand what Kevin means, it's quite an eclectic mix but it is brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, schizophrenic is quite an appropriate word (which doesn't necessarily imply it to be a bad thing, I think that's the whole point to sound like that!) Still, I've never really been able to enjoy that score as much as others do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As far as i know schizophrenia is always meant in a bad way wink Seriously though, there's musical continuity and coherence in there, 2 qualities which are never traits of schizophrenia. It's a very eclectic use of musical styles an it has passages that are truly brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I know. But in this particular case, schizophrenic is just another word for eclectic. As I said, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
  8. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Give it time, I'm sure this will get a proper release one day. Batman & Robin is a good example of the music being too good for the film it's written for ( a dreadful, appalling film )

Especially since LLLR is working on it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hope that's not false hope you're giving me, because Batman & Robin is for me one of the very few Holy Grail scores to yet to be released! lick
  9. No, they've stated and commented on it at the FSM board a few times. Been in hte works since last year. I assume some of their releases, like "Innerspace", have pushed it back (and what ever the surprises they are goign to announce January 1st at midght are).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. I'd have a hard time choosing between HEAT, COBB, MICHAEL COLLINS and ALIEN3 myself. HEAT probably gets it for me at a pinch though.

TITUS I really must see with the film. I suspect it could be a favourite once I have.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'd have a hard time choosing between HEAT, COBB, MICHAEL COLLINS and ALIEN3 myself. HEAT probably gets it for me at a pinch though.

TITUS I really must see with the film. I suspect it could be a favourite once I have.

ALIEN 3 is his undisputed masterpiece, IMO, his magnum opus as far as film scores are concerned. But as an independent listening experience, it's a toss-up between HEAT, BATMAN FOREVER and MICHAEL COLLINS.
    I am extremely serious.