• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010
    For a small Island we have punched at superheavy for centuries.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    For a small Island we have punched at superheavy for centuries.

It's rather true, in all genres and arts.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm just waiting for Martijn's response...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'm just waiting for Martijn's response...

Not being British I'm afraid it won't carry any weight whatsoever.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But he's like totally political and stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    But he's like totally political and stuff.

No. Just a very naughty Dutchman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I read the American Beauty review and thought it was a good first effort.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010 edited
    I came across this article while mindlessly browsing the internet last night. I wonder if anyone had heard about it:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me … 8556.story

I'd love to hear it!
  1. New scoring assignment:
    http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … nt-bureau/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Wow, it's been a while since I've commented on this...I'm sad that Newman isn't scoring as much lately. I guess he's content being Hollywood's most underappreciated A-List composer...

Oh well...I'll just keep enjoying Revolutionary Road in the meant time. "April" FTW!!
  3. justin boggan wrote
    New scoring assignment:

Oh goody...

I forgot to mention, I read an interview once where someone asked him why he hasn't done an actual action/adventure movie like Horner, Williams, and Zimmer have. He basically implied it would stifle his creativity, which I find ridiculous because if his work for Finding Nemo and WALL-E are any indication, he'd do just fine with any typical, summer action flick.

As big a fan I am of his, I think he's scored enough suburban family dramas. Even I was somewhat left wanting after hearing Brothers, even though I loved the movie overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010
    Well, that would be catastrophic 'cause a proper action film would mean that he'd have to score pieces that are longer than 0'30''.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, that would be catastrophic 'cause a proper action film would mean that he'd have to score pieces that are longer than 0'30''.

Have you listened to Revolutionary Road? My favorite track on there is "April", at a whopping 9 minutes, 34 seconds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Of course i have smile My comment was to be taken with a grain of salt wink Still though, the few times his cues aren't 30 second clip-like pieces on CD, even the longer ones feel a bit fragmented during the last few years..hope for a big comeback someday.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wonder if Newman's score for The Lost Boys will ever get a release? It's always been a fave of mine.
  5. I hope Phenomenon gets a full release some day. I love the main oboe theme...

Come to think of it, some of my all-time favorite Newman cues are some of his longest. There was a track on Road to Perdition called "Murder (in Four Parts)" that I felt was pure magic. Then there was the End Titles piece for Little Children and Red Corner...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    His name is never mentioned in regard to certain film genres but I would love to hear what Newman would come up with for something like Clash of The Titans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Come to think of it, some of my all-time favorite Newman cues are some of his longest. There was a track on Road to Perdition called "Murder (in Four Parts)" that I felt was pure magic. Then there was the End Titles piece for Little Children and Red Corner...

Don't forget Brooks Was Here from Shawshank Redenption, or That Next Place from Meet Joe Black. Or Quartet from Angels in America. There are also plenty of tracks of his that seque into each other and are actually one cue.
  6. BobdH wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Don't forget Brooks Was Here from Shawshank Redenption, or That Next Place from Meet Joe Black. Or Quartet from Angels in America. There are also plenty of tracks of his that seque into each other and are actually one cue.

Right. I'm reminded of "The Great Work Begins ~ Tropopause" from Angels In America.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    As big a fan I am of his, I think he's scored enough suburban family dramas. Even I was somewhat left wanting after hearing Brothers, even though I loved the movie overall.

BROTHERS was excellent, in his more ambient, atmospheric mode. I like that just as much as the more romantic or thematic, like SHAWSHANK.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010
    Apparently the piece Thomas Newman wrote for Kronos Quartet and the LA Philharmonic last year was broadcast on some American classical radio show a couple of weeks ago, KUSC. I don't suppose anyone here caught it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010 edited
    LSH wrote
    Apparently the piece Thomas Newman wrote for Kronos Quartet and the LA Philharmonic last year was broadcast on some American classical radio show a couple of weeks ago, KUSC. I don't suppose anyone here caught it?

Here's something I've found so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T2WEhs31vc

Just a talking bit from David Harrington.

http://www.laphil.com/philpedia/piece-d … 1&bc=1

Does anyone know if this is the movement structure for "It Got Dark"?

1. Latimer Bridge
    2. Eastlake Park in Winter
    3. Glitter Mollusk
    4. Jonah
    5. Skipping Flat Loop (Both Feet In)
    6. Ice Moss
    7. Will You Stay
    8. Rile Push Cart
    9. Flying Fish
    10. Crystal Plunge
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. I really hope it gets a CD/digital release. I get the feeling that "It Got Dark" represents Newman in his purest form, without the stress of deadlines and editing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010
    justin boggan wrote
    New scoring assignment:

The Adjustment Bureau: Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZJ0TP4nTaE
  8. Awesome news. This score got so much less attention than it deserves:

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/thomas- … 2010-05-14
  9. That has to be one of the most "nothing" scores I have heard recently, forgettable and whole uninvolving, like that Powell score (I can't recall the name; small score with guitar).

I've heard little by Newman, but I can easily name half a dozen scores he has done that are vastly superior to RR.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    ahahaha...

296 posts since my last visit. it shows How much I like Newman.
  10. Oh, how the fool revels in his folly.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010
    THE DEBT: Trailer

I'm very interested as to how Newman is approaching this.
  11. Awesome trailer. It reminds me of Steven Spielberg's Munich (incidentally, Ciaran Hinds stars in both movies).

This movie WILL mark Thomas Newman's triumphant return to Hollywood stardom!!