• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2010
    I really hope so; he's missed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    This movie WILL mark Thomas Newman's triumphant return to Hollywood stardom!!

I doubt that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I doubt that.

Is there two kinds of Hollywood stardom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Steven wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I doubt that.

Why so pessimistic? sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2010
    I don't think Newman is the kind of guy for 'Hollywood stardom'. It's just not the kind of music he creates, and I hope he doesn't become it either. Though a bit more projects would be nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2010
    Well, he used to be in the 90's and 00's. Later on, hollywood discovered Djawadis.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, he used to be in the 90's and 00's. Later on, hollywood discovered Djawadis.

Right, and look where Hollywood is now...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010
    Los Angeles.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010
    i too am interested
    listen to more classical music!
  4. Timmer wrote
    Los Angeles.

One of the most plastic, Godless cities in the world. No wonder Newman doesn't fit in... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011
    I can't find any news on a score release for John Madden's The Debt? Anyone know anything?

Plus I'm also dying to hear this piece he wrote for Kronos Quartet and the LA Phil last year. I missed the radio recording of it which was broadcast a few months later. Hope it makes another appearance some time in the future.
  5. All I know is that The Debt was delayed once again until some time this year. I would imagine that the release of the score would coincide with whenever the film is released. As for the LA Phil piece, I'm not holding my breath for that to be released on CD.

It sucks; I miss Newman's music terribly. My only consolation is that despite his apparent disappearance, I have Desplat to keep me occupied.
  6. In the meantime, I've been giving Revolutionary Road a re-listen here and there. Exquisite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011 edited
    Oh yeah. April is up there with his most emotional powerhouse cues, for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011
    Thomas Newman knows how to write emotional music, I also miss his music.
  7. BobdH wrote
    Oh yeah. April is up there with his most emotional powerhouse cues, for sure.

That cue is among his Top 3 best. It's amazing how much emotion he can wring out from only 3 repeated notes. "Route 12" and the title track are also lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011
    The fact that this man, truly one of the greats (Horner, Williams, etc) isn't writing any major movies any more saddens me greatly, i think he's the biggest loss in film music right now. I wonder if it's due to the state of hollywood today or if it's due to some personal decision of his.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Christodoulides wrote
    I wonder if it's due to the state of hollywood today or if it's due to some personal decision of his.

Maybe both sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    It's sad. His output during the 90s and early 00s was pretty much consistently brilliant. He's either slowing down or becoming a lot more selective in his choice of projects which, in a way, I can kind of understand. I'd rather him do that than do what someone like JNH or Isham does (work his arse off all year round only to produce one or two above-average scores).

There are many excellent composers around today but Newman manages to produce some of the most haunting, evocative and affecting music I've ever heard. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to his work but Christ they hit the spot when I am. Gorgeous stuff.

cool
  8. Well, on the bright side, aside from The Debt, he does have one project this year: The Adjustment Bureau. Here's hoping it doesn't get delayed also...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Looking forward to that as well.
  9. As I recall, TAB was recorded last year. So, he's got no new projects I am aware of.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011 edited
    Richard Ashcroft and composer Tom Newman (10 times Oscar-nominated) wrote and performed a new song, "The Future's Bright" for the opening of the forthcoming sci-fi film 'The Adjustment Bureau', starring Matt Damon.

from www.richardashcroftonline.com
  10. Hopefully it will be as good as, or even better than, his collaboration with Peter Gabriel...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011
    Relativity Music Group has announced a soundtrack album for the upcoming sci-fi romance thriller The Adjustment Bureau. The album includes Thomas Newman’s original score from the film, as well as the song The Future’s Bright, which was written for the film by Newman and singer/songwriter Richard Ashcroft (former frontman of The Verve). The album will be released on March 1, 2011.

More here:
    http://relativitymusicgroup.net/#

and here:
    http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … announced/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011
    EXCELLENT!