• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009 edited
    So, in trying to understand the world of today, what do people think of the absence of the rich countries during the UN conference the past two days, which tried to solve the universal problems of the current 3 crisis's (financial crisis, climate crisis and hunger)? Or should the IMF and the World Bank and those 20 self-declared heroic countries (G20) solve the problems of this planet?

I'm reading about it a lot, but it's hard to make an opinion of it. Are we, the IMF and WB really that heartless? Is it normal that the rich countries invested more money in Q4 of 2008 for the financial crisis, created by a small percentage of people, than there was ever spent on international help care? Is it okay that the G20 now will invest 1000 billion dollars in the IMF?

It makes me sad, but perhaps I'm reading the wrong articles? Anyone has a good independent source?

dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009
    I don't know either, i am confused. I am reading a lot about friggin N.Korea and Iran and still, whilst i am one to hate predictions of impeding calamities but things are being very unstable as we speak, i am not even sure most people are realizing it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    Is the US actually pulling their army out of Iraq or is it a communications trick or something?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009 edited
    the main force has been removed
    all personnel are being removed from major cities
    only some remain for training and in very secluded areas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009
    Following (former president and moderate) Rafsanjani's prayer speech on Friday tens of thousands have taken to the street. The head of the Republican Guard has delivered a letter to Rafsanjani with a content to the extent that "there is a hard red line that shall not be crossed" on pain of immediate and merciless retribution.

Twitter is going insane suggesting that masses have circled the building of the Ministery Of The Interior. Chants are sung against the president and the government. There are shouts of "death to the dictator". The international press though remains as silent as death.

Without international support I really don't think there is any real hope.
    My god, my god. All those poor people.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. One of major Ayatollahs ruled Ahmadjinezad illegitimate. He's one of two Shi'ite Grand Ayatollahs.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    Sigh. Ahmadinejad just did the oath and started his second term...
    Kazoo
  2. Yes and got recognized by the Americans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Huh?
    Kazoo
  3. Americans recognized Ahmadjinezad as the elected president of Iran. That means, the protesters can't count on US support.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What the hell? For what reason?
    Kazoo
  4. No idea, the arrest of two American hikers who accidentally crossed Iranian borders few weeks ago?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh, haven't read about that. The journals and the news site I usually read stopped reporting too...
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited
    Luckily the Dutch are excused of having financially supported the opposition's 'revolution'....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No idea, the arrest of two American hikers who accidentally crossed Iranian borders few weeks ago?

If that is the reason, it is actually funny that the American position depends on two lost hikers.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It doesn't: it's got way more to do with the overtures Obama has already made towards Ahmedinejad and the very poor likelihood of a well-organized, military and police backed protest movement (and thus the unlikely odds for a change in power at this time).

Added to that Iran being as close to the Bomb as it is right now, and there are really only two alternatives: talk to the bastards and desperately try and keep them in check (see Pakistan).
    Or attack NOW. With everything you have.

For a multitude of reasons, Obama is just not ready for the second option (which I personally wouldn't find the worst choice at this time).

There'll be other elections.
    Now is the time for gnashng of teeth and frustrated and ineffectual rage.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, the last thing we need now is another war.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No shit Sherlock rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Well, it doesn't seem obvious to everyone, does it?
  5. Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No idea, the arrest of two American hikers who accidentally crossed Iranian borders few weeks ago?

If that is the reason, it is actually funny that the American position depends on two lost hikers.

The White House spokesman backed off from his remark that Ahmadjinezad is "elected" president. He said that it's something "the Iranian nation needs to resolve on its own"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, that is harsh!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

The White House spokesman backed off from his remark that Ahmadjinezad is "elected" president. He said that it's something "the Iranian nation needs to resolve on its own"

Better leave them kill each other, in other words.
  6. Yes, and then steal their oil.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sounds like a good tactic to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well, it doesn't seem obvious to everyone, does it?

Darn tootin'.
    If we would have a proper supranational governing body (and the UN, while a great first step per se, has proven time and again to be completely ineffectual at this), that could organize a policing force to ensure Ahmedinejad and Khamenei were quickly deposed of, and new elections called under international supervision, I would support a military strike in a heartbeat.

I also realize that in current international law, that's completely impossible.
    I also realize that within Iran there is no support at all for any military action anywhere (the Iran-Iraq War traumas run deep).
    I also realize that any foreign military action will meet with the most fundamentalist and violent of militant clerics and fanatics as the ones to most bloodily oppose it and seize power once it's all over and done with as they're the ones with the guns and the will to kill.

So a military incursion would be doomed to failure, much as I still hold that the only way to deal with madmen, dictators and evil is by irrevocable, swift, decisive HARD action (this much history has taught us: the nice guys never win).

My only realistic hope at this time is that Ahemdinejad's cancer will turn out to be lethal.
    And that Khamenei will have a "domestic accident".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    UN is decorative my friend. Just a sidenote wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, it's not.
    It's frustrated and blocked more often than not by some permanent members.
    And that makes the decision making process extremely slow and ineffectual.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nobody gives a damn about their warnings and votings mate, people like IRAN are showing-off with "kiss-my-ass UN" actions all the time. It's got good intentions and theoretically works; only theoretically.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So far, much as I would have it otherwise, you are right.

It's still funny (i.e. incomprehensible) to me that the world at large condemned the US for actually enforcing two already voted-upon and passed UN resolutions in invading Iraq!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, UN doesn't have the papal infallibility either wink It's an instrument my friends, sadly. Like many others out there.