• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    JP: Dalek Empire

Another Big Finish Productions audio play: this one features the Daleks from the Doctor Who franchise overrunning the galaxy ...without the Doctor intervening this time. It's a gnat's eye view of interstellar events, which makes for compellig storytelling as we get to see (well, hear) all the things we know about the Daleks but seldom actually see...like actual genocide.

It hammers the evil of this damned race home very effectively in what boils down to a classic resistance vs. nazis story on an epic scale.
    Compelling stuff!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jurassic Park : Dalek Empire!? shocked

cheesy wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    errr...yeah.
    metal-clad dinos with death rays.
    rolleyes
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Don't jest Martijn, that really would be the end of the universe as we know it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked Crikey! shocked
    Guess we're doomed. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Of course and since I made an important decision about my future recently (next year I am applying to film school, I've been fooling myself too long not to apply and finding too many excuses not to, basically), I will need to expand my knowledge about classical and other genres A LOT.

Watching Woody Allen films is a good way to see how the classical material is used in film. He doesn't use very much original material at all.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    shocked Crikey! shocked
    Guess we're doomed. sad

We'll all have to go live under the sea.
  1. sdtom wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Of course and since I made an important decision about my future recently (next year I am applying to film school, I've been fooling myself too long not to apply and finding too many excuses not to, basically), I will need to expand my knowledge about classical and other genres A LOT.

Watching Woody Allen films is a good way to see how the classical material is used in film. He doesn't use very much original material at all.
    Thomas

I know. He uses music that he edited the scenes to. Some of these pieces aren't used in the final film, but he just plays a vinyl disc with music he thinks fits the story and just edits to it. I know a bit about his process from a great Stig Bjoerkman interview which for some reason was sold as Allen's autobiography here. (Woody Allen on Woody Allen)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I can't stand Woody Allen.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I love his films myself. I need to buy some of his classics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I love his films myself. I need to buy some of his classics.

Same here. Very distinct style, although at times he can get quite irritating with the voice-over and all wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Well, I am learning from him, I must say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I can't stand Woody Allen.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: 2000 A.D. Into The Future - Rick Wakeman

The guy has got a great ear for symphonic melody, but the synths in this 1991 work sound incredibly early eighties-like. It's still intriguing enough to keep me listening, but I do keep expecting Pia Zadora and Jermaine Jackson to suddenly pop up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    NP: 2000 A.D. Into The Future - Rick Wakeman

The guy has got a great ear for symphonic melody, but the synths in this 1991 work sound incredibly early eighties-like. It's still intriguing enough to keep me listening, but I do keep expecting Pia Zadora and Jermaine Jackson to suddenly pop up.

I agree. Some of his later "new age" albums from the 90's ain't too good. I remember I had one of them once...may have been SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD. Too cheesy and non-descript for me.

JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE WORLD will forever be a classic that I play often, though.

You can't blame the man for not being prolific, at least. How many studio solo albums has he released? 30? 40?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Ralph Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending

What a beautiful piece. It's just wonderful and it's my first listen.

Timmer beer

I am definitely looking for more RVW. I loved the Fantasia on Theme by Thomas Tallis and this is another priceless gem.
  5. It's time for me to rediscover classical music and get very well acquainted with it. Also I need to listen to much more jazz than I ever did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    I have to admit that his new film Whatever Works had so many sexual references that it became a bit annoying to me after awhile.
    Thomas
  6. You mean more than usual?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ralph Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending

What a beautiful piece. It's just wonderful and it's my first listen.

Timmer beer

I am definitely looking for more RVW. I loved the Fantasia on Theme by Thomas Tallis and this is another priceless gem.

IMO one of THE greatest pieces of music of all time! Nothing else comes close.

For a more film music kick check out Symphony # 7 which is based on his original score to Scott of The Antarctic
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You mean more than usual?

More than usual, yes
    Thomas
  7. Yes, it's on my search list for sure and I will get back to Lark Ascending tomorrow, It's just beautiful.

I also plan to listen to it while reading the poem that originally inspired RVW. It must be a beautiful experience to combine listening with reading and when I do that, I will definitely post my impressions right here smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote

For a more film music kick check out Symphony # 7 which is based on his original score to Scott of The Antarctic

This work is one of the great pieces of film music of all time!!!!

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote
    Sunil wrote
    NAQOYQATSI - PHILIP GLASS

I really admiring the cello pieces by Yo-Yo Ma. He is simply master in it. I simply love this album.

Wrong thread.

No, Timmy! I am on the right thread.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Sunil wrote
    NAQOYQATSI - PHILIP GLASS

I really admiring the cello pieces by Yo-Yo Ma. He is simply master in it. I simply love this album.

Wrong thread.

No, Timmy! I am on the right thread.

Oh? Isn't NAQOYQATSI a film score?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    NAQOYQATSI isn't film score. Its a score for documentary film (please correct me if i am wrong). So, i personally doesn't like to include in film score category.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited
    So it's not a film score, but rather a film score.
    Yes, yes.
    That makes perfect sense.

Because obviously documentaries are not shot on film, but on... err... paper! Or...or...burritos!
    Yeah! That's it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I beg your pardon! What? confused
  8. Sunil, documentaries are a genre of film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Superman - John Williams

Sure I can put that here! It's not a film.
    It's a bird!
    It's a plane!
    It's a burrito!