• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. How lucky I feel to be a teacher in a land where the idea of having an armed guard in school or police guarding the campus at all times seems utterly ridiculous.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018
    Captain Future wrote
    How lucky I feel to be a teacher in a land where the idea of having an armed guard in school or police guarding the campus at all times seems utterly ridiculous.

Volker

Indeed. I actually live in a country where even policemen aren't armed -- unless in very special circumstances.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Fucking liberal eurohippies.

'MURICA!! kill kill fireworks
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    How lucky I feel to be a teacher in a land where the idea of having an armed guard in school or police guarding the campus at all times seems utterly ridiculous.

Volker

if someone made a direct threat to your school would you be against posting a guard?
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  3. Special circumstances require special measures to be taken. Luckily so far that necessity didn't arise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    Special circumstances require special measures. Luckily so far that necessity didn't arise.

right and that's my point. there were clearly special circumstances here. everyone knew this kid was trouble, he made threats to students, he posted pictures of himself with guns, he was banned from wearing a backpack, the FBI had been told he planned to be a "professional school shooter", apparently he claimed membership in white supremacist groups...

I don't advocate guards at every school, but somebody should have been posted there. it might not have stopped him, I don't know, but it couldn't have hurt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2018
    According to The Hill, a prospective school shooter was stopped when his grandma reported plans she had found to local law enforcement. I think preventing these awful things is better handled at a local level. Apparently, the Florida shooter was reported to the FBI, but they're, you know, a massive federal bureaucracy. In my opinion, we should build a more localized system of reporting possible crimes; they're more likely to be able to do something quickly and efficiently.
  4. This may of course lead to a Stasi like system of denunciations.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2018
    Sure, but I think it would be less likely to devolve if implemented on the local level.

If you found a pothole, it’s better to report it to local authorities than the FBI. I think these situations are better resolved by those closest to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2018
    good arguments.
    listen to more classical music!
  5. Annoying does not really cover it.

My son has just been diagnosed with type I diabetes. It has been a terrible few days that started at the beginning of last week. Looking back now the signs were there but diabetes wasn't a consideration as a possible cause of symptoms that you could put down to being a 'normal teenager'. Constant eating and drinking, always tired - things we put down to him going to the gym and exercising.

But on Monday/Tuesday he was sleeping most of the day(s) and then the weakness set in, and vomiting then slurred speech and talking incoherently. It was so quick and it was at that point we took him to A&E. They whisked him into resus as a DKA - diabetic ketoacidosis. It was such a worrying thing to see him being taken through for immediate treatment.

Now he has been stabilised we are now all trying to get to grips with the whole process of blood monitoring and insulin injections. Luckily there is a lot of support out there but, at the moment, it is all very daunting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. This is a difficult diagnose for your son to cope with as this will be a part of his live from now on. I have now and also had in past years children with diabetes among my students. They actually get along amazingly well. Your son will receive - I am sure - not only practical training but also psychological support. Also currently there is a lot going on in terms of research.

I wish you, your family and especially your son all the best!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2018
    Sorry to hear it Alan. Wishing you all the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2018 edited
    Oh shit. That's a though diagnose. I hope your son can cope with it and that your family finds a way to handle this. All the best!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry to hear it, Alan. As someone who suffers from several chronic illnesses myself (although not diabetes yet, knock on wood), I know the challenge it can be to re-structure the rest of one's life to accomodate that.

I wish you and your son all the best in dealing with this.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not good news. My very best to you and yours Alan.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    best wishes, Alan, I hope things turn out all right.
  7. Thanks everyone for your comments. There's a lot to take in at the moment and a lot of uncertainty as to whether what we are doing are the right things to do.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If he follows a strict diet he can live a long healthy life. Being a teenager might make this a bit more difficult. I wish your family the best.

On a positive note I'm doing better! smile
  8. Thanks Tom. It has brightened my day hearing that you're feeling better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thanks my friend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2018
    How is your son doing Alan?
  9. sdtom wrote
    How is your son doing Alan?

David's been out of hospital for a week now. He feels fine but is trying to get used to the routine of checking his blood sugar levels and giving himself his insulin shots 4 times a day. He is coping very well considering what an upheaval to his life this can seem at the beginning.

He's starting to tell his friends about his diabetes and I think that he is finding that hard to do. We went to the gym this morning but was disappointed by how much of a setback missing 3-4 weeks has been to his general fitness. And he felt a bit hypoglycemic afterwards so it's another thing for him to manage in the future.

He is right in the middle of applying to universities for courses starting in September and has open days and interviews coming up so he plans to go back to college on Tuesday. He's apprehensive about that because his eyesight went blurry as a result of the high blood sugars (it affects the physical properties of the lens) but it is slowly getting better.

Overall, things are good Tom and we are all hoping that his diabetes has a minimal impact on his day-to-day living.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2018
    Thanks for the update Alan. A tough adjustment for sure, kinda like my situation. Some days I'm grateful to be able to function. Glad you caught it when you did as he could have died.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2018
    Doctor visit to the cardiologist for a possible pacemaker. nervous don't know why
  10. My dad just had a pacemaker put in this year. We were all nervous about that, but his life has improved greatly, and the operation was quick and easy. It’s amazing what doctors can do now without being invasive at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018
    Exactly what the doctor told me. Working out the details now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2018
    here's a less serious annoyance than the usual on this thread.

I'm afraid that if I watch BBC's "Sherlock" show again, I won't be as transported as I was when I first saw it. I want to see if I like it as much as I did, but I'm afraid to ruin my memories. A bit annoying, you might say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2018
    Don't watch it or being willing to accept the results
  11. Those are indeed the only two options. biggrin

Personally in situations like that, I think I'd be happier watching it. Harsh truths are better than false memories.