• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    NP: THE FINAL DESTINATION - Brian Tyler

It's just Eagle Eye again. But I liked Eagle Eye. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Paycheck - John Powell

Superb! Powell definitely has a full grasp on what a contemporary score should sound like. His mixture of electronics and symphony, IMHO, is unmatched. Easily one of the most gifted composers work in Hollywood today who is taking film music to that NEXT level!

-Erik-

Powell certainly has the versatility for longevity in the industry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

Mmm... no it's not. It's even more bland than Eagle Eye, but at least it doesn't have the main theme ripped from media ventures.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, so? This is the kind of bland I like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Yeah, so? This is the kind of bland I like.

Mmmm..No, you don't.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, so?
  1. Thomas Glorieux wrote

aha, my review ignited you to hear it once more wink

Nope, I just wanted to hear it again, it was a while. And then I saw your review and I was like... YEAH! Pure coincidence.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Mmm... no it's not. It's even more bland than Eagle Eye, but at least it doesn't have the main theme ripped from media ventures.

Eagle Eye.....Bland. Something is wrong here, and I don´t mean Jordi´s brain.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    NP: E.T. - John Williams

One of the biggest mistakes the producers of the E.T. expanded editions made was not making the release a 2CDset. Why a 2CD set? Well, to include the BRILLIANT original LP presentation on disc 2. I feel terrible for film music fans who don't get to hear the wonderful concert arrangement of "E.T. and Me" - those strings in the middle of the piece are heartbreaking. And the alternate arrangements of "A Million Light Years From Home" and "Abandoned and Pursued." And of course there is the film version of "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye" which has a far superior title on the LP version; "Adventure On Earth."

Don't get me wrong, I'm forever grateful for having the expanded releases but to see film music fans paying a fortune for this wonderful original album is nothing short of criminal.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Eagle Eye.....Bland. Something is wrong here, and I don´t mean Jordi´s brain.

Noooooooooooo...i'm sure you don't.

NP:Darkness falls!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah!

the 7 minutes track from Darkness falls kicks the ass of the 13 minutes suite from Final Destination.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Homage a Francois Truffaut - Georges Delerue

Oh Georges!
  2. Erik Woods wrote

One of the biggest mistakes the producers of the E.T. expanded editions made was not making the release a 2CDset. Why a 2CD set? Well, to include the BRILLIANT original LP presentation on disc 2. I feel terrible for film music fans who don't get to hear the wonderful concert arrangement of "E.T. and Me" - those strings in the middle of the piece are heartbreaking. And the alternate arrangements of "A Million Light Years From Home" and "Abandoned and Pursued." And of course there is the film version of "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye" which has a far superior title on the LP version; "Adventure On Earth."

Don't get me wrong, I'm forever grateful for having the expanded releases but to see film music fans paying a fortune for this wonderful original album is nothing short of criminal.

-Erik-

In a day and age where nearly every major score gets an expanded treatment, it would be wonderful indeed to have the opposite happen. I've listened to it and it is indeed brilliant, though there's no way I'd ever get rid of the 1996 expanded album if I somehow got hold of the LP version. I love those softer 30 minutes just as much. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. NP: Mao's Last Dancer (christopher gordon)

Alas, only in my head. Recalling melodies from my one chance to hear the album.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Amen bro beer I often say 'I agree 100%'. on your whole post here I'll do a Simon Cowell and agree 1000,000,000%
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You've often reminded me of Simon Cowell.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Which aspect? The high waist band? The stacked heels? The African country sized bank account?

....The hallogen teeth maybe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    MEET JOE BLACK - THOMAS NEWMAN

Ah! its wonderful morning now, this is right time to play this score. Freesia Everywhere is playing now, and what a track? Its very simple and elegant.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I was in the mood for some loud, brassy action music. So I popped in Powell's X3 (it actually makes the movie itself enjoyable) and Wiseman's Arsene Lupin.

... one sore spot of the X3 soundtrack is that the main titles cue isn't the one from the movie. A shame, since it's tons better than the one on the album. I like Powell's action works, but his Bourne stuff just doesn't do a thing for me. I love the over-the-top nature of the score, shame Gavin Hood picked his friend to score Wolverine instead. sad
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote

Ah! its wonderful morning now, this is right time to play this score. Freesia Everywhere is playing now, and what a track? Its very simple and elegant.

It is! I love Thomas Newman's clever, quirky style - but would really like to see him pull another one of these out. He obviously doesn't really like writing in that style, but he does it as well as anyone, and better than most.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited
    Matt C wrote
    I was in the mood for some loud, brassy action music. So I popped in Powell's X3 (it actually makes the movie itself enjoyable) and Wiseman's Arsene Lupin.

... one sore spot of the X3 soundtrack is that the main titles cue isn't the one from the movie. A shame, since it's tons better than the one on the album. I like Powell's action works, but his Bourne stuff just doesn't do a thing for me. I love the over-the-top nature of the score, shame Gavin Hood picked his friend to score Wolverine instead. sad

The same issue unfortunately goes for St. Lupus Day. A much better and exciting version is used in the movie, even if when looked at seriously it doesn't fit the orchestration and style of the rest of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Band of Brothers - Michael Kamen

Simply magnificent. I miss Kamen - he was taken far too young.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    JP: THE GREEN MILE - THOMAS NEWMAN

Hmmm... I don't have words to describe about this powerful and emotional score. Whenever i hear this score or i watch the movie, it just bring tears to my eyes. This score just haunts me like anything. Superb one.

NP: ROAD TO PERDITION - THOMAS NEWMAN

Yet another brilliant score from Newman. Right now, i am playing the track called "Dirty Money", what a excellent track this is. Whenever i listen to this track, i can feel the vibration in my body. Very exciting, indeed! Overall, this is great score and movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    SCHINDLER"S LIST - JOHN WILLIAMS

cry
  4. LUCAS - BY DAVE GRUSIN

80's synth that I never get tired of.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Matt C wrote
    I was in the mood for some loud, brassy action music. So I popped in Powell's X3 (it actually makes the movie itself enjoyable).
    I like Powell's action works, but his Bourne stuff just doesn't do a thing for me. sad

I agree. I find his Bourne scores (as good as they are) hard to return to. But I must try again soon! shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

I listen it again, I can understand why you like it.

No themes, no atmosphere, and the orchestrations are very simple (And I never I could say this about Tyler).

sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Sunil wrote

It is! I love Thomas Newman's clever, quirky style - but would really like to see him pull another one of these out. He obviously doesn't really like writing in that style, but he does it as well as anyone, and better than most.

I absolutely adore MEET JOE BLACK, the theme is gorgeously infectious. This, Road to Perdition, Shawshank Redemption and American Beauty along with Angels in America, Cinderella Man is the composer's most brilliant side, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Band of Brothers - Michael Kamen

Simply magnificent. I miss Kamen - he was taken far too young.

Magnificent barely covers this, one of the most beautiful in all essence musical works i've ever came across. In many ways, i believe it's one of those works only Kamen could have delivered.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: El Cid ~ Miklos Rozsa

It's been some time since I've played it. "Magestic, magnificent, breathtaking" are a few words that come to my mind each time I listen to it. It makes me wonder how was the other 20% of the music which wasn't used.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited
    NP:Road to El Dorado (Expanded).

That's one of the reasons a lot of people, included me, stoped to buy so many scores.

I bought Road to El dorado in 2000. 14 songs by Elthon John with pop arrengements (Ok, "panic in me" was co-composed by Zimmer and has some nice final strings and vocals composition), and 12 minutes of score. We had to wait 9 years for the Bootleg with the songs.

The songs with the movie arrengements are a highly an improvement. I can't say the arrengements are from Zimmer's team because I remember watching the movie credits and I saw a couple of guys who I didn't and I don't know). "

friends never Say Goodbye" film version contains some instrumental version of one of Zimmer's themes.And it's actually pretty good.

WOW! AFTER 9 YEARS I REALISE "PANIC IN ME" IS ACTUALLY A VERSION OF "CHELDORADO" shame shame shame shocked shocked shocked shocked

Next I will Play: Bolt (powell)

Talking about bad realeased....Thanks God we have Promos!

One of the best Powell scores. he leaves aside his "extravaganza" of Robots or Horton and composes a score with addictive melodies and "paychek" orchestrations.