• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009
    Scribe wrote
    Video game scores seem to have been divided into two camps. The good camp the classic, intensely melodic, intenselytraditional-film-score-inspired works like Lair, the Giacchino scores, etc. Then there's the dark, gritty, rhythm-dominated, melody-less scores you get for games like this. I don't like this trend, of course, I wish they were all like the first kind

Indeed, but i highly enjoy the work of Steve Jablonsky in the latter sub-area.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Modern Warfare (zimmer)

Wow...when Zimmer does a bad score, it really does a horrible one.

How I said, he has to be focused in Sherlock Holmes and divorced women

It's the first time in his whole career that I can't remember a melody in a Zimmer "score".

Is there a soundtrack for this then or is it just the website rip? I haven't listened to it yet, but considering even Jordi isn't enjoying it I don't think I will. sad

It's a shit in your face. We all know when Zimmer didn't pay attention to some project, and this is one of the cases. What is terrible here, is Zimmer even tried to came up with a decent main theme.

I never could think a 45 minutes realease full of Anthems, tribal elements and electric guitars could be so boring comming from Zimmer.

Not only it's not comparable to medal of Honor, it's not comparable even to gears of gar 2.

I'll have a go at this. I really love it when Zimmer and co are in this Steve JAblonsky mode, when i'm in the mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tintin wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: El Arbol Del Penitente - Roque Baños

Roque Baños pulls a John Powell! shocked
    Very quirky instrumentation in infectious latin American rhythms.
    There's some odd Spanish dialogue throughout the tracks, but I'm not too bothered. It all adds to the fun. And this score is a LOT of fun!

Oooh... peaked my interest.

-Erik-

A mi tambien!

Is this a new score Martijn? :actively searching in another open window:

NP Up Michael Giacchino

cool

I prefer it when Roque IS Roque (which is great btw) instead of doing Powell or anyone else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Tintin wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: El Arbol Del Penitente - Roque Baños

Roque Baños pulls a John Powell! shocked
    Very quirky instrumentation in infectious latin American rhythms.
    There's some odd Spanish dialogue throughout the tracks, but I'm not too bothered. It all adds to the fun. And this score is a LOT of fun!

Oooh... peaked my interest.

-Erik-

A mi tambien!

Is this a new score Martijn? :actively searching in another open window:

NP Up Michael Giacchino

cool

If you are into Roque´s music, check this out wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SATURN 3 - Elmer Bernstein

One that may not be to everyone's taste but I love it! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    All this talking about Roque Baños can only lead to

NP Alatriste (Concert Suite)
    One of the best suites I´ve ever heard live in concert, with all the main themes arranged and orchestrated specially for the suite with an epic (to say the least) finale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    All this talking about Roque Baños can only lead to

NP Alatriste (Concert Suite)
    One of the best suites I´ve ever heard live in concert, with all the main themes arranged and orchestrated specially for the suite with an epic (to say the least) finale.

That score is really, really beautiful and melodic, a true modern epic, i am surprised so many few people actually know it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Video game scores seem to have been divided into two camps. The good camp the classic, intensely melodic, intenselytraditional-film-score-inspired works like Lair, the Giacchino scores, etc. Then there's the dark, gritty, rhythm-dominated, melody-less scores you get for games like this. I don't like this trend, of course, I wish they were all like the first kind

It works when there are melodic underpinnings. For example the Terminator Salvation video game score, which features several rather creative renditions of the Fiedel theme. On the other hand, released at the same time, there was Haslinger's Wolverine score, which was just TERRIBLE.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Up - Michael Giacchino

So good! One of the best I've heard this year!

-Erik-

PS - Pope Joan was excellent. However, I find that the action music is where the score lost me. On album at least it sounded out of place. A little too frenetic for the soothing and simple orchestral sounds of the rest of the album. However, I do agree with those that consider it to be one of the best of the year! Highly recommended.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : John Williams - The Symphony

Fantastic mix of some of Williams' most recognizable music which I found on one of the many OST blogs out there . So THX for sharing whoever you are , you did a FAB job ! wink
    Below's the tracklist if anyone's interested ...

01. Star Wars Main Titles (Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) (1:31)
    02. The March From 1941 (1941) (2:04)
    03. Minority Report (Minority Report) (1:59)
    04. Journey to the Island (Jurassic Park) (2:24)
    05. The Magic Of Halloween (E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial) (1:57)
    06. Across the Stars (Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones) (4:25)
    07. Theme from Sabrina (Sabrina) (2:07)
    08. The Reunion (A.I. Artificial Intelligence) (2:51)
    09. Hedwig's Theme (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) (1:53)
    10. Remembering Childhood (Hook) (2:11)
    11. Prologue (Born on the Fourth of July) (1:00)
    12. Main Title and First Victim (Jaws) (1:33)
    13. Duel of Fates (Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace) (2:26)
    14. Children's Slave Crusade (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) (2:10)
    15. Turning Back the World/The Flying Sequence (Superman: The Movie) (2:48)
    16. Princess Leia's Theme (Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) (1:14)
    17. Han Solo And The Princess/The Asteroid Field (Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back) (3:39)
    18. The Basket Game/Marion's Theme (Raiders of the Lost Ark) (2:39)
    19. Luke and Leia (Star Wars Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi) (4:32)
    20. Fawkes the Phoenix (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) (3:13)
    21. End Credits (The Dance of the Witches Reprise) (The Witches of Eastwick) (2:33)
    22. Escape From Venice/Scherzo For Motorcycle And Orchestra/Brother Of The Cruciform Sword (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) (4:38)
    23. Theme from Schindler's List (Schindler's List) (3:53)
    24. Theme From Angela's Ashes (Angela's Ashes) (2:27)
    25. Seven Years in the Tibet (Seven Years in the Tibet) (2:49)
    26. Dry Your Tears Africa (Amistad) (1:57)
    27. Prologue (J.F.K.) (2:57)
    28. The Patriot (The Patriot) (3:18)
    29. Somewhere in my Memory (Home Alone) (2:49)
    30. Resolution And End Title (Close Encounters on the Third Kind) (1:36)
    31. The Throne Room and Finale (Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) (0:31)
    32. Raiders March (Raiders of the Lost Ark) (1:34)
    33. Hedwig's Theme (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) (0:20)
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

It works when there are melodic underpinnings. For example the Terminator Salvation video game score, which features several rather creative renditions of the Fiedel theme. On the other hand, released at the same time, there was Haslinger's Wolverine score, which was just TERRIBLE.

Who did the TERMINATOR SALVATION game score? Haslinger/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Up - Michael Giacchino

So good! One of the best I've heard this year!

-Erik-

PS - Pope Joan was excellent. However, I find that the action music is where the score lost me. On album at least it sounded out of place. A little too frenetic for the soothing and simple orchestral sounds of the rest of the album. However, I do agree with those that consider it to be one of the best of the year! Highly recommended.

Agree and agree, glad you liked Pope Joan! UP is Gorgeous, no doubt about it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PLANET OF THE APES - Danny Elfman

Just a few of the tracks I really like. The whole CD is something I can't get through.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Alatriste - Roque Baños

I've had this for a while now but have NEVER listened to it. I'm five tracks in and I'm not really feeling it. I can hear music playing but it sounds all kind of lifeless. Then again, I'm only 5 tracks in. We'll see what happens when this finishes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

Some dudes named Trond Viggo Mellsen and Erik Thunberg. It plays like Elfman's Terminator Salvation versus The Dark Knight. It has Fiedel's theme half a dozen times sometimes hidden rather creatively (forming a harmonic base for example) and then it has this fascinating little one-note motif for the Terminators that reminds me of the Joker note...a completely different sound but a similar device.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Switched to...

NP: Battlestar Galactica: Season 3 - Bear McCreary

My wife just came down stairs while I was listening to Alatriste and asked if I was listening to Battlestar. biggrin Well, I wasn't enjoying Alatriste at all so I switched to this awesome album! Thanks for the inspiration, honey!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

Some dudes named Trond Viggo Mellsen and Erik Thunberg. It plays like Elfman's Terminator Salvation versus The Dark Knight. It has Fiedel's theme half a dozen times sometimes hidden rather creatively (forming a harmonic base for example) and then it has this fascinating little one-note motif for the Terminators that reminds me of the Joker note...a completely different sound but a similar device.

So it's RC-like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Switched to...

NP: Battlestar Galactica: Season 3 - Bear McCreary

My wife just came down stairs while I was listening to Alatriste and asked if I was listening to Battlestar. biggrin Well, I wasn't enjoying Alatriste at all so I switched to this awesome album! Thanks for the inspiration, honey!

-Erik-

The dramatic battle sequences and the action cues are the best material of the score. You pressed stop too early wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    You pressed stop too early wink

Nah... because I got to play such brilliant tracks as "Precipice" - "Storming New Caprica" - "Admiral and Commander" - "Wayward Soldier" and "Violence and Variations" really LOUD! Man, I miss this show!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

So it's RC-like?

There are some subtleties that aren't usually found in RC scores, but besides that, quite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009 edited
    NP Agora (Dario Marianelli)

Just came back from the cinema, and now I really appreciate this (magnificent) work by Marianelli. It is the perfect example of "watch the movie first and then listen to the isolated score". I love that the themes are not evident and/or played again and again, which would have been the easiest way. It helps a lot that the tracks are in cronological order in the album, as you visualize the film while listening to the music. Marianelli continues to impress me, and Amenábar understood that for this film he couldn´t nor shouldn´t do the music himself, he needed a professional composer. Of course, the movie is totally recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009
    Marselus wrote

Just came back from the cinema, and now I really appreciate this (magnificent) work by Marianelli. It is the perfect example of "watch the movie first and then listen to the isolated score". I love that the themes are not evident and/or played again and again, which would have been the easiest way. It helps a lot that the tracks are in cronological order in the album, as you visualize the film while listening to the music. Marianelli continues to impress me, and Amenábar understood that for this film he couldn´t nor shouldn´t do the music himself, he needed a professional composer. Of course, the movie is totally recommended.

I haven't watched the film but i've managed to feel its quality right from the beginning, that score is absolutely beautiful, especially the powerfully emotional climax and the stunning main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote

Come oooooooooooon! You can't fall here , Marselus!

Agora is an example of an overscored movie. The music has all the cliches from this kind of scores. We already heard , and much better, this kind of music from so many other composers.... And the use of the music is even worst : A slow motion sequence, a vocalist = you have to Cry!!!!

And an about the movie, is a real mess. If you say yoiu liked, I delete the private message I just sended to you! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

NP:Christmas Carol (Silvestri)

it's growing on me. Specially his main theme. A great year for Silvestri. How you know, I loved G.I Joe (and in fact, I think it's his most enjoyable score this year)

track 3 seems more from Elfman mixed with Horner's ADN. dizzy

it has his moments, for sure. But it's not the classic that Polar Express is. Anyway, I will play this score for Christmas for sure...specially for the powerful arrangements of Chrismas songs.

After that....

REMOTE CONTROL DAY!

cool

Edit

NP:Transformes Bonus and Unused music

Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!! punk punk punk

better devoloped and much bigger than the cd realeased.

"arrival to eart" (original version) 8 minuts......I only wants to say that tongue

Me la posa dura, marselus!

that's why Demetris says love so much. And I love it too!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jordi, the music to Agora is melodic, sweeping with actual themes that step on the grand side of music at places, the orchestration and arrangements are full and balanced. The whole is score is very musical, something most modern film works lack. Just because it has duduk and female vocals in it, that alone doesn't mean that Dario uses them in a cliched way.....i'd say re-listen and unbiased this time. The choral work is magnificent too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi, the music to Agora is melodic, sweeping with actual themes that step on the grand side of music at places, the orchestration and arrangements are full and balanced. The whole is score is very musical, something most modern film works lack. Just because it has duduk and female vocals in it, that alone doesn't mean that Dario uses them in a cliched way.....i'd say re-listen and unbiased this time. The choral work is magnificent too.

Exactly, and trust me, if you liked it before watching the movie, you´ll love it even more after seeing it.

Nautilus wrote
    Agora is an example of an overscored movie. The music has all the cliches from this kind of scores. We already heard , and much better, this kind of music from so many other composers.... And the use of the music is even worst : A slow motion sequence, a vocalist = you have to Cry!!!!

Duduk + vocals does not mean cliché Jordi. Same instrumentation previously used in movies of this kind does not mean cliché either Jordi. And I don´t think the movie is overscored, not at all. Actually, there are moments in which the music is a supporting actor instead of a leading actor, if you know what I mean.

Obviously, when the music has to be there, it IS there (the beginning, the introduction of Alexandria, the dramatic ending, etc). And the fact that the main theme is there, is so beautiful but it is not an easy one makes me appreciate the effort even more.

Oh, and the movie is not a mess. It tries to develop too many things? Maybe, but Amenábar does it in a way that does not look as a mess. Actually I loved the developement of the main characters, specially Hypatia´s, Orestes´and Davo´s (that final scene between with and Hypatia is one of the most dramatic moments I´ve seen lately).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    yes but.....

Oh! forget it. I just remembered both you like Horner.

NP:Transformers 2 cd's (Jablonsky)

One of my all time favourite scores. And No, I don't get shame

I love the sound design. it's a real high tech score. the electronics are mind blowing, and the fusion with the orchestra and chorus is sublime.

The thenes addictive. and the strings kicks and crescendos are cool as hell. Jablonsky will be a limited for sure, but with this score he did the mother of all the Remote Control scores.

Probably is the best score for a Bay movie (yes, more "complex" than The Rock, more actual than "armaggedon" and leaving sugar aside, Pearl Harbor).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    yes but.....

confused rolleyes slant shocked spin dizzy moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    yes but.....

Ha! You say that as an insult and then say Transformers is one of your all time favourite scores! Brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Brilliant.

No....Jordi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    yes but.....

Ha! You say that as an insult and then say Transformers is one of your all time favourite scores! Brilliant.

it is, righ? tongue

Luckly everyone here Knows I like also Goldsmith, Herrman, Goldenthal, Bernstein....