• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009
    SERIOUSLY. I want one of those booby stress balls! Where do they sell them?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Martijn wrote:
    So maybe ...just maybe I should try that relax thing

You don't have any stress related symptoms? I have a couple of nasty ones and try to avoid them as good as I can!! I have them since one and a half, almost two years and they are my alarm bell.

Not really. Worst of it is an an absolutey burning pain in my left shoulder that runs right through to my arm.
    It always passes in a day or so (and no: I *am* aware of the symptoms of a heart attack, and apparently it's not that at all smile ).

A trapped nerve? It sounds similar to something I had about 10 years ago. Mine was fixed with physio, turned out the larger muscles in my back were overcompensating for the smaller ones during weight training and I was given sets of excercises ( without weights ) to sort the problem out and it worked.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Another thing that relaxes me... cooking a really good meal. And then actually sitting down and enjoying the meal with family and/or friends... that's an aaaaaaaah moment for me.

-Erik-

Me too Erik, me too! beer

Though I get cranky and stressed if anyone gets in my way in the kitchen, I have to be left alone wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009 edited
    Martijn, it worries me. I am no doctor but you surely sound like someone who'd benefit a lot (Stress-wise too) from working out, getting out and jogging, walking, fresh air in general. That, or some specialized physiotherapy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn in all seriousness I'm worried too. How about some quality time for yourself and some working out as Demetris suggests? I know you have a lot on your plate right now but you worth more than anything!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I agree. You HAVE to make time for yourself no matter what!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Martijn wrote:
    So maybe ...just maybe I should try that relax thing

You don't have any stress related symptoms? I have a couple of nasty ones and try to avoid them as good as I can!! I have them since one and a half, almost two years and they are my alarm bell.

Not really. Worst of it is an an absolutey burning pain in my left shoulder that runs right through to my arm.
    It always passes in a day or so (and no: I *am* aware of the symptoms of a heart attack, and apparently it's not that at all smile ).

A trapped nerve? It sounds similar to something I had about 10 years ago. Mine was fixed with physio, turned out the larger muscles in my back were overcompensating for the smaller ones during weight training and I was given sets of excercises ( without weights ) to sort the problem out and it worked.

...and could your ailment be related to a repetitive strain injury? ( serious...no fnar fnar here )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hmmm.

I don't have that much stress, but I'm good at stressing myself up with things one doesn't probably bother about. I have spastic colon (bowel) now and then, due to stress, and for a time, it worried me and I watched every strange thing I had, worrying about every little thing. I'm healthy the doctor said, but my mind is probably too focused on seeking things that might go possibly wrong or could pose the chance of leading to something bad.

I also want to do too much on every moment I'm free, never thinking about just relaxing or doing ... nothing.

As for relaxing, I tried taking up reading again. Works for example half an hour, but then I loose focus a bit, and have to start again. I think too much. dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    A trapped nerve?

Yes, that's very likely and in fact the theory I've been entertaining for many years.
    I even remember the doctor corroborating that, but then nothing happened? I probbaly just omitted to pursue the matter.
    shame

Timmer wrote
    Though I get cranky and stressed if anyone gets in my way in the kitchen, I have to be left alone wink

punk cool
    That is SO true!
    DON'T offer to help. DON'T rinse the glasses. DON'T open cupboards. DON'T stir my pans.
    In fact, here's a bottle. Now f*ck off!!!
    biggrin

Stavroula wrote
    some working out as Demetris suggests?

That would be best, but I just can't spare the time...or -to be more honest- find the courage

Erik Woods wrote
    I agree. You HAVE to make time for yourself no matter what!

You're right.
    I KNOW you're right.

But you know what?
    It's hard! dizzy
    Sure, many an evening I don't do diddleysquat but lounge in front of the telly...but it's always with a nagging feeling that there are so many things needing to done and addressed... I'm not in danger of a heart attack.
    But I'm getting this odd sensation the men in the white van aren't very far away... biggrin

In all seriousness: doesn't anyone else have troubles actually properly relaxing?
    I thought it was fairly common, but I'm startting to feel a little freakish now...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    In all honesty there are times that whatever I do and how hard I try I cannot relax. Others I manage better. And the times I can't relax have to do with emotionally difficult situations and not physical tiredness. This is easier to overcome.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I have spastic colon (bowel) now and then, due to stress.
    As for relaxing, I tried taking up reading again. Works for example half an hour, but then I loose focus a bit, and have to start again. I think too much. dizzy

You know what?
    You're the classic example of a bloke who should be doing way more physical things.
    Have you ever thought of taking up any kind of sport or physical activity?

(Yes, yes, yes, I know this would be more poignant if it came from the likes of the Timmers on the forum, but dammit Jim, I'm a preacher, not a convert!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    In all honesty there are times that whatever I do and how hard I try I cannot relax. Others I manage better. And the times I can't relax have to do with emotionally difficult situations and not physical tiredness. This is easier to overcome.

Well, there has to be a physical aspect at some time, I guess.
    Otherwise one would think one would "untangle" while sleeping?
    But it's like the body in some way gets used to feeling cramped up and accepts it (and sets itself to it).

So it's a bit of a chicken and egg story, I guess.
    Probably it won't help just "thinking" your way out of it, nor will sheer physical excercise do it.

And you're quite right: emotion is probably the key somehow.
    I guess that when you feel happy and at ease, after a prolonged period the phsyical aspect (the adrenalin levels and muscle contractions) should follow?

So I guess the only cure is...erm... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, i too have trouble (small one 'till now) relaxing from time to time. But i find that sleep (which luckily gets me very easily 'till now, i am still young and i have a very strong snooze button which - no matter what happens and what i have to do the next day or in my mind, i sleep right away and i only awake with the alarm clock next morning), deep breaths, fast long walks (because there's NO PARKING for my car in the city centre where i work), music in my ears all the time (via earphones and my mobile phone when i am not at home) and cool stress balls always do the work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote

So I guess the only cure is...erm... shame

Nice colours , but will you stay the hell away for them please!!?? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    [naive]what are these?[/naive]
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Listen to music, have sex, take a nap, watch a movie, go for a walk, go for a drive, go to the local pub and have a beer.

-Erik-

That's one busy day, Erik!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Listen to music, have sex, take a nap, watch a movie, go for a walk, go for a drive, go to the local pub and have a beer.

-Erik-

That's one busy day, Erik!

Yeah , and all that is on one of his 'off' days !! biggrin wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  2. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    Yeeessss..... Any other suggestions Steven dear?

Absolutely: Alexandre Desplat's score to Benjamin Button. smile (Although the very mention of it seems to instill very unrelaxing conversation on this forum.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    To relax, I usually maintitle. I also love debating with people online, especially about religion and other paranormal fun. The loonier the beliefs, the more I enjoy it. I wouldn't know what to do with myself without fundies.

That relaxes you!?

...when was the last time you had a CAT scan?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I always listen to music, especially film scores. beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I've also taken to writing now, it eases my stress a lot. I'm blogging for now but I also hope to write some books in the future if I get enough time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can tell you from my experience that coffee being a stimulant has the opposite effect on me. Meditation when I can do it is the best thing for me. Being able to put everything out of your mind is the goal I try to achieve.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Yeeessss..... Any other suggestions Steven dear?

Absolutely: Alexandre Desplat's score to Benjamin Button. smile (Although the very mention of it seems to instill very unrelaxing conversation on this forum.)

Yeah, let's listen to some Tyler Bates instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    I've also taken to writing now, it eases my stress a lot. I'm blogging for now but I also hope to write some books in the future if I get enough time.

Maybe, Hari Patter and the temple of Doom. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    I think with any job that means taking work home, it's not easy to relax, there's always something to do.

I remember I had a fun job once and when I got back home I could do whatever I wanted! Sometimes I miss that. So, now I have to manage my time better when I'm home and create my own time off.

And then there's always housework or something to do at home like fixing stuff. So real time off doesn't exist anymore I guess, only in childhood, adults have to make these moments for themself and try not to think of the next moment then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I quiet agree there. There is always something to be done either a hoousehold chore or studying and preparing for work. I think that the only time I have right now is during my yoga practice or if I have time to cook something just for fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I'm curious Stavroula when you prepare your lessons. I'm struggling with it.
    I always want to do it as soon as possible, so that when that's done I have my time off. But in the end, each week again and again, I'm preparing at the last moment, so the day or evening before. It's a pattern that's hard to change... Of course, after teaching some years, I can reuse the same lessons and it won't cost as much time as this (first) year in high school...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Yes, it's very good when you have already worked something and so you can refer to it. smile
    This year ia have to work with 3 new English books and 2 history courses so I have to prepare lessons every day, afternoon that is, and recap and do anything extra as far as material is concerned during that weekends. I'm struggling with it too and I will confess that there have been times that I have gone to work slightly unprepared and have done everything on the spot. shame