• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010
    Mp3 isn't always worse than a CD smile

Convenience and compactness is what sells mp3 players too smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mp3 isn't always worse than a CD smile

No, it isn't, but to most members of the public it probably is because they probably rip at 128 from Windows Media Player (and they probably don't notice so I guess it doesn't really matter).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Plus a book, a rather large and cumbersome object to carry if you're traveling, needs minimum data to replicate on a portable device as compared to a CD. Plus the Kindle would be handy for research purposes too: if you need text books and things like that, then I would MUCH prefer to have them saved on the Kindle than have them take up space in my bag when I need to bring them to class.

The Kindle isn't a replacement for the book, but it is a very handy addition for various purposes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    When apple releases their own version, i suspect very few will be talking about the kindle smile It was one of the very few companies that raised their profits so much (40%) in a shitty year for economy like 2009.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Apple's product will be awesome - but expensive too. I'm sure it will take off like the iPhone though, which was another expensive product. I reckon Amazon will have to start reducing the price a bit now, and improving the product.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If the Apple product is $700-800 as rumoured, then that is a very high price. Not sure it will quite take off on iPhone / iPod degrees if that's really the case (Kindle is what - $250? - which already seems quite high).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010 edited
    I don't think it actually matters for apple products, rather the contrary.

We all know they're expensive and yet they're selling like crazy. If anyone told you 5 years ago - that in a year like 2009, which meant economical discomfort for most countries and even disaster to some others, a phone that costs about 800 euros (in some cases even more) would sell like crazy, propelling the profits of the company to never before seen heights (both financial and also popularity-wise), would you believe it?

That's where the success of apple truly lies, imo. Whilst everyone else is making their products cheaper and cheaper and dropping quality as a consequence in some cases, Apple manages to raise their profits more and more by selling their products even more expensive. Although i don't own an apple product yet, nor do i have the money power to do so, still that deserves a big hats off!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's an incredible success story, really is. The ironic thing is that so many Apple supporters do so because of Microsoft being this huge, money-grabbing beast which they hate - while Apple itself is actually an even more cunning business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Live from the Apple Keynote (screenshots every minute)
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live … refresh=60

IT'S CALLED AN iPAD. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I must admit, I do like Steve Jobs' keynote speeches. He sells his products very convincingly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wow, our debate couldn't be more precise, time-wise!
  1. I am waiting for Steve Jobs to announce iFuck condoms.

Apple taste of course.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    No flash support, no multi-tasking capability, no USB port.
    I do love the form factor though, even if it is basically a giant iPhone.

So, no thanks, I think I'll wait for a proper Windows 7 tablet. HP Slate, anyone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    lp wrote
    No flash support

I'm afraid that'll never come soon. Obviously because of its competition with the App Store and the applications that offer the same functionalities that Flash could offer as well, but for free, without iTunes (in the browser that is). Apple is more closed than Microsoft (though, they DO support Webkit (the engine for Safari and Google Chrome)), but on the other hand, they push the new web forward. With Webkit, we have HTML5 and CSS3 and all the other fancy stuff in our hands.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010 edited
    Bregt wrote
    lp wrote
    No flash support

I'm afraid that'll never come soon. Obviously because of its competition with the App Store and the applications that offer the same functionalities that Flash could offer as well, but for free, without iTunes (in the browser that is). Apple is more closed than Microsoft (though, they DO support Webkit (the engine for Safari and Google Chrome)), but on the other hand, they push the new web forward. With Webkit, we have HTML5 and CSS3 and all the other fancy stuff in our hands.

I know most of this, and in the end, I am more of a Windows guy since I love the "openess" that having a Windows based computer gives you.

Flash is important because I do use Hulu and I do view sites that requires some version of flash. HTML5 isn't the standard yet, even though it will be in the near future. But even in 60days, I can buy the tablet and still not going to be using it like I want to.

So, I don't see the need to buy apps so that my computer will function like a normal one. I think the fact that there aren't any USB ports is extremely limited. I don't wish to load my tablet(computer) via another computer. That defeats the whole purpose of having a tablet for me. I'd rather purchase another netbook.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am waiting for Steve Jobs to announce iFuck condoms.

Apple taste of course.

biggrin

lp wrote

So, no thanks, I think I'll wait for a proper Windows 7 tablet. HP Slate, anyone?

Well, even their INSANELY expensive laptops, have very fewer features compared to what very cheap pc alternative laptops are offering (hdmi, lots of usb, esata, etc etc) and they still sell like crazy, no matter the cost and the lack of basic features! People are fucked up in the mind i think smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Apple taste of course.

biggrin

lp wrote

Well, even their INSANELY expensive laptops, have very fewer features compared to what very cheap pc alternative laptops are offering (hdmi, lots of usb, esata, etc etc) and they still sell like crazy, no matter the cost and the lack of basic features! People are fucked up in the mind i think smile

Werd.

My laptop, that I got in 2008, had better hardware than the best Macbook Pro at the time, all for 1000 dollars less, and included all the goodies that Apple still do not support (hdmi, lots of usb, esata, etc etc)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm really tempted to get an iPad. Apparently they start at $499 in the US, so it looks to be in my price range. Still, I might wait for the next gen model to come out, they always make some significant improvement with their later gen models of new products (like the iPod touch and of course the iPhone).

I must admit, I don't need one... but I'm a gadget geek. I WANT ONE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I wonder if it's in danger of becoming the filet-o-fish of the electronic world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Filet-o-fish?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote

Apple taste of course.

Close.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eeeeuuuggghhhh biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Filet-o-fish?

Quite - it must be a real worry for them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Just renamed the topic to be more up to date with the discussions smile (see how apple's product has overshadowed everything else, even before its release? wink )

Steven wrote
    I'm really tempted to get an iPad. Apparently they start at $499 in the US, so it looks to be in my price range. Still, I might wait for the next gen model to come out, they always make some significant improvement with their later gen models of new products (like the iPod touch and of course the iPhone).

It's only manageable through itunes from what i hear, there's no usb connection with anything other than the iTunes software, so it's not recognized as a removable hard disk or anything. Not that it should bother you, just noting in general lines smile So it's not a phone too, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and i love how he opened his speech with a reference about how cool small netbooks are, but they can't do everything...Well, unless i am mistaken, the iPad has a mere 1Ghz single processor and costs a shitload. My asus netbook cost me 300 euros and it has an intel dual core processor at 1.6Ghz. Again, cool gadget for sure, and the screen looks amazing (although gigantic, you can't really fit that in the pocket wink ) but the price compared to what it actually offers on the hardware side of things, is ridiculously high.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    It's been just a day and they're already out-
    http://i.imgur.com/nUtZK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Filet-o-fish?

Well that explains it then. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Just renamed the topic to be more up to date with the discussions smile (see how apple's product has overshadowed everything else, even before its release? wink )

Steven wrote

It's only manageable through itunes from what i hear, there's no usb connection with anything other than the iTunes software, so it's not recognized as a removable hard disk or anything. Not that it should bother you, just noting in general lines smile So it's not a phone too, right?

There might be a way to get around that. You can use iPods as external hard drives depending on your settings, so the same might apply to the iPad? It just uses a regular iPod connector to USB, so as long as you have the right cable and a female-to-female USB converter, in theory you have yourself a regular USB port. But yes, it is a little annoying. Perhaps the second gen will have USB?

I'll wait until they start selling some refurbished ones though. And perhaps second gen refurbished... so I might be waiting a while!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh and i love how he opened his speech with a reference about how cool small netbooks are, but they can't do everything...Well, unless i am mistaken, the iPad has a mere 1Ghz single processor and costs a shitload. My asus netbook cost me 300 euros and it has an intel dual core processor at 1.6Ghz. Again, cool gadget for sure, and the screen looks amazing (although gigantic, you can't really fit that in the pocket wink ) but the price compared to what it actually offers on the hardware side of things, is ridiculously high.

Yeah, I did find that a little odd myself. Still, I was quite impressed by what this little thing has to offer, particularly the games and the actual game play itself. That's a selling point for me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Filet-o-fish?

Well that explains it then. Thanks.

Hey, you don't need to explain it to me. I just hope they've built it into their business plan, for their sakes.