• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    KRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLL!!!! punk

Yeah, s'alright. It's no Wrath of Khan though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Well, I guess I could rank some of my all-time favorites. Out of the 30+ (which outpaces even all the Thomas Newman scores I've listened to), I'd consider A Beautiful Mind, Avatar, House of Sand and Fog, Apollo 13, and Titanic as the top of the pack.

Just wait until you discover Horner's early discography. Boy, is that list ever going to change.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010 edited
    NP:Traffic-the helicopter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    kokodezil wrote
    NP:Traffic-the helicopter punk

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    punk
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    really yes! :punk punk punk punk punk punk punk kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Well, I guess I could rank some of my all-time favorites. Out of the 30+ (which outpaces even all the Thomas Newman scores I've listened to), I'd consider A Beautiful Mind, Avatar, House of Sand and Fog, Apollo 13, and Titanic as the top of the pack.

Just wait until you discover Horner's early discography. Boy, is that list ever going to change.

-Erik-

When you discover Horner's earlier discography you will know when he composed every theme of his later discography. tongue tongue tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sleep
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

WRONG

KRULL RULES KHAN !!!!!!

imho
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

-Erik-

When you discover Horner's earlier discography you will know when he composed every theme of his later discography. tongue tongue tongue

It's kinda fun hearing themes from previous works. Horner might be the most environmentally conscious composer working today because he recycles so much of his music...

NP: Avatar - James Horner (for the 1,000,000,000th time...)

All Horner fans should seek out the COMPLETE recording. I don't even mind how derivative it all is, the "War" music is just phenomenal; it's like a mini-suite: "War", "The Battle Continues", "Quaritch Down", "Fight to the Death", and "A New Beginning."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The last Samurai (Hans Zimmer)

What I like most from this score is Zimmer leaves aside his over dramatic strings, and uses more woodwinds. It's fresh air! (Except for the boring "small measure of peace)

I can say a lot of great moments in this score.

From the powerful "taken" to oriental flavour of the samurai theme played by koto and percusion in " Spectrec in the fog". From the wild percusion of "to know my enemy" to the epic ending of "idilly's End". From the peaceful version of the red warrior theme in the last half of "A hard teacher" to the navajo "chants" in Red Warrior.

All of it recorded in a crystally way.

" A way of life" is one of the most beautiful tracks from Zimmer ever.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    NP:The last Samurai (Hans Zimmer)

What I like most from this score is Zimmer leaves aside his over dramatic strings, and uses more woodwinds. It's fresh air! (Except for the boring "small measure of peace)

I can say a lot of great moments in this score.

From the powerful "taken" to oriental flavour of the samurai theme played by koto and percusion in " Spectrec in the fog". From the wild percusion of "to know my enemy" to the epic ending of "idilly's End". From the peaceful version of the red warrior theme in the last half of "A hard teacher" to the navajo "chants" in Red Warrior.

All of it recorded in a crystally way.

" A way of life" is one of the most beautiful tracks from Zimmer ever.

I forgot the piece's name, but it's the next-to-last track and in the movie, it plays when [spoiler]Ken Watanabe's character dies[/spoiler] and the strings nearly brought me to tears, it was so lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    KEN WATANABE'S CHARACTER DIES!? shocked

OH GOD NO.... NO!? cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Awwww. sad Jeez, Steven. I was going to watch that film tonight.
    Bought the 320 dollar special platinum edition, with special collectible Geisha girl and all the sushi you can eat.
    Lights turned low. Sake heated up.
    It was gonna be a really special night.

Now it's all ruined. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Steven you either deserve a big

face-palm-mt

or

punk

You pick one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. BSG: The Plan & Razor (Bear McCreary)

A bit monotonous, not nearly as interesting or diverse as the real meat of BSG, which is still S2, S3 and S4 D1. But Apocalypse has a great rocking feel to it. At least those cues it's featured in let me stay awake. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I forgot the piece's name, but it's the next-to-last track and in the movie, it plays when [spoiler]Ken Watanabe's character dies[/spoiler] and the strings nearly brought me to tears, it was so lovely.

it's the second half of "way of the sword". it beggins with a orchestrally epic Zimmer addagio (wich is a variation of samurai's theme) and then continues with this low strings that Zimmer uses to descrive heaven/ death /redemption.

It's one of the few times that Zimmer copies note by note one of his themes (the other time is in the first 2 minutes of Hello beastie)

"To Know My Enemy" I LOVE this percusive stuff , it's like beyond Rangoon with real instruments! And then this synthetised version of Samurai's theme with this clanging effect. punk punk punk

I have my doubts about what is highlight of this score : "A way of life", " a hard teacher" , "to know my enemy" or "idilly's End" dizzy
  5. Aliens - James Horner

Now that I've finished the score, I can honestly say there was a lot of nothing in it. But when the good stuff came, Oh My God... cheesy cheesy cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Aliens... a lot of nothing? Are you mad? IMHO, it's a top Horner score and one of the finest written! Superb atmosphere, full throttle action, inventive orchestrations,... what else could one want?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Aliens... a lot of nothing? Are you mad? IMHO, it's a top Horner score and one of the finest written! Superb atmosphere, full throttle action, inventive orchestrations,... what else could one want?

-Erik-

I can see where he's coming from though. Lots of 'atmospheric' creepy cues which may not be to everyone's taste.

One of those scores that I love, but I can empathise with those who don't enjoy it quite so much - particularly the expanded varese album. (Though Kevin clearly enjoys the not-so-atmospheric bits. smile)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I can see where he's coming from though. Lots of 'atmospheric' creepy cues which may not be to everyone's taste.

One of those scores that I love, but I can empathise with those who don't enjoy it quite so much - particularly the expanded varese album. (Though Kevin clearly enjoys the not-so-atmospheric bits. smile)

I always appreciated the original Goldsmith Aliens score and especially since i bought it on vinyl, i don't think i enjoy another score of the alien installment as much.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Wrath of Khan tis no KRULL either.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

WRONG

KRULL RULES KHAN !!!!!!

imho

Knock off the 'humble', Krull just rules! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. I have to side with Steven:

KHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll swat the pup and then you're next Highlander.
  7. Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'm going to give it a second whirl, because I like suspense a lot, but my first impression was that it was about 60% atmosphere, 40% action.
  8. Timmer wrote
    ...and then you're next Highlander.

You may take my Krull, but you'll never take my Wrath of Khan!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I'm going to give it a second whirl, because I like suspense a lot, but my first impression was that it was about 60% atmosphere, 40% action.

In my opinion, Horner's atmospheric music in Aliens has rarely been bettered in film music. It's that good!
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

In my opinion, Horner's atmospheric music in Aliens has rarely been bettered in film music. It's that good!
    I can say for a fact that "Bad Dreams" might give me nightmares. Yikes... shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What I was miffed with was the use of the words "a lot of nothing." I can understand someone not liking the score but saying Aliens is "a lot of nothing" is not true at all. Unlike something like Avatar, Aliens is a score that took much thought and creativity to write.

-Erik-