• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    What I was miffed with was the use of the words "a lot of nothing." I can understand someone not liking the score but saying Aliens is "a lot of nothing" is not true at all. Unlike something like Avatar, Aliens is a score that took much thought and creativity to write.

-Erik-

yeah

FACT ! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. NP - Aliens - James Horner

This is my third time through this album. I have a 9 track Varese album - I'm assume that's not the expanded one.

I have to admit that it's a lot harder for me to enjoy Horner's 80s scores than his 90s scores. I got into film music in 1995 with Braveheart. It was Horner's more melody sweeping style that I originally fell in love with. Then I heard all this great praise for Horner's superiod 80s music, and I just don't connect some of the albums that others seem to love like I connect with some of his later stuff.

For me, Horner's 80s highlights are Glory (which is still my favorite of his), The Journey of Natty Gann, Star Trek II, Field of Dreams (mostly just for "The Place Where Dreams Come True"- one of my favorite tracks by Horner), and Cocoon (for the theme).

I still haven't really gotten Willow (it's got good moments, but for me it's just okay most of the time), Aliens (too scary, unsettling, etc. for my tastes), or the much ballyhooed Krull. What can I say? Maybe after years of listening to these scores I will realize that I was an idiot when I said this, but for now, give me most of Horner's later scores before them any day.

...I'll get my coat...
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Balto - James Horner

Not one I put on regularly and that's because I just don't love it as much as some of you. It has nice themes, but I find its recording and orchestrations a little on the mellow side, if I compare that to the brilliant 'Land Before Time' I know which one I'm more likely to play. But by Horner-standards this is a refreshing and highly original score, without too much of his trademarks. Not bad, but this is my least-favourite animated score from him.

I fear you are now a dead man walking.

Yeah, no kidding.

Mellow recording and orchestrations? uhm Are you sure you're listening to the right score?

It is my most listened to of his animated scores. But I find it hard to rank his animated scores because they are all of incredibly high standards.

NP: The Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring - Howard Shore

The music for this trilogy is arguably the best film music of the past decade, and definitely one of the biggest surprises for me. Definitely the highlight of Howard Shore's musical career past, present, and future.
  3. christopher wrote
    This is my third time through this album. I have a 9 track Varese album - I'm assume that's not the expanded one...Aliens (too scary, unsettling, etc. for my tastes)...

The expanded Varese Deluxe Edition version of Aliens is probably not for you then.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Horner is among my top favourite composers but I have to admit, I don't really like Aliens either. I much prefer his melodic side than his atmospheric writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    christopher wrote
    This is my third time through this album. I have a 9 track Varese album - I'm assume that's not the expanded one...Aliens (too scary, unsettling, etc. for my tastes)...

The expanded Varese Deluxe Edition version of Aliens is probably not for you then.

The Expanded has some interesting cues (Combat drop) but it's a hard listening experience.

About What Erik's said, I find the atmospheric tracks really boring. They doesn't have the creative orchestrations of , for example, Ellioth Goldenthal's scores. The only insteresting textures is the little motif from Goldsmith previous score. I don't think Horner is good with dark or dissonant scores...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No, he's not good with dark or dissonant scores...he's BRILLIANT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ What Timmer said!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Not something I am playing - but a whole country!

I was browsing through Gracenote's music map that shows country-by-country current top 10 artists and top 10 albums (http://www.gracenote.com/map/) and I see that, in the Russian Federation Alan Silvestri features with Predator and Mikael Karlsson's there also with Battlefield: Bad Company 2!

I didn't think that so many Russian residents had bought copies of Predator!! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. About Aliens, it helps that the movie is my most-viewed one of all time, I love it to death, in no small part thanks to the score... That score was the first experience I had with music in a film, where the overall feel of the images was amplified tenfold. From that low rumble and loud crash during the opening titles all the way to the haunting end credits, I wouldn't want anything changed. The final hour holds some of the best Horner composing to date and made me a devoted Horner-fan for a very long time. But with all this being said, Aliens isn't in my top 5 of the man, though I guess it's in the top 10. The reason? The atmosphere music which works perfect in the film doesn't hold my interest when listening on album. But I love it for everything else score-wise.

Thankfully, the expanded added so much more coolness that I loved in the film: the militaristic motif when we first see the Sulaco, the Ripley nightmare cue, the encounter with the two facehuggers. And of course the unused Combat Drop, which was rightly dropped from the film for being too bombastic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DreamTheater wrote
    About Aliens, it helps that the movie is my most-viewed one of all time, I love it to death.

me too. It's in my top favourite movies ever. it's a special movie to me.
  6. NP - Final Fantasy - Elliot Goldenthal

Until this year I had never heard a single score by Goldenthal shame In recent months I bought three of them. This is my favorite of the three. Every track on this album feels so epic, and the LSO sounds so huge! This isn't typically the kind of film music I enjoy most, but if I'm in the right mood, this score is a welcome diversion from my normal listening habits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010 edited
    NP: Aliens (Deluxe Edition) - James Horner

Perfect score! Great album!

Up Next: Another Horner classic; Cocoon

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Enemy at the Gates - James Horner

Another underrated gem. A little heavy on the 4-note motif, but I love the choral music (Horner does not write enough of that music). The opening 15-minute track and Betrayal are especially stunning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Sea Hawk - E.W. Korngold (the Varese edition, Varujan Koijan conducting)

Lovely score, truly.
    I'm not the biggest Korngold fan around, but this score has swashbuckling defined. Electric energy abounds, with some glorious Golden Age lyricism pervading it all. Chocfull of themes and emotion. This CD has a wonderful selection of cues, and is my favourite version of this landmark score.
    A true classic and an easy four star score (out of four).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Martijn wrote
    NP: The Sea Hawk - E.W. Korngold (the Varese edition, Varujan Koijan conducting)

...This CD has a wonderful selection of cues, and is my favourite version of this landmark score.

Oh, you do go on sometimes!! rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wut? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Martijn wrote
    Wut? confused

biggrin

I know that this Varese version is your favourite! You've mentioned it several times now recently.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote

I wish Gerhardt recorded and released a The Sea Hawk album like he did with Steiner's Gone With The Wind. I think his 15 minute suite of Korngold's classic score is the best recording and performance of the music out there and a 45-50 minute expanded album would have been a stunner!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Wut? confused

biggrin

I know that this Varese version is your favourite! You've mentioned it several times now recently.

wink

Did I?
    That Varese issue? The one conducted by Varujan Kojian?
    That's a great one incidentally!
    I recommend it highly!

Still available second hand for a reasonable price. It's on the Varese label, actually, no. VCD 47304 , and it's conducted by Varujan Kojian, who's conducting the The Utah Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, under auspices of Varujan Kojian, who incidentally conducts my favourite rerecording of The Sea Hawk. On the Varese label.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Did I?
    That Varese issue? The one conducted by Varujan Kojian?
    That's a great one incidentally!
    I recommend it highly!

Indeed! Great recording and performance!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    I wish Gerhardt recorded and released a The Sea Hawk album like he did with Steiner's Gone With The Wind.

Amen, brother. slant
    That would have been the definitive version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Snow Falling On Cedars (JNH)

Perfect for a cloudy day.

VERY LOUD!
  10. NP: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Christophe Beck

Not bad, but very unoriginal and uninspiring
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Indeed! Kinda like Andrew Lockington's Journey To The Centre of the Earth!

-Erik-
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Indeed! Kinda like Andrew Lockington's Journey To The Centre of the Earth!

-Erik-

well, at least those adventure cues were a lot more rousing in Journey, plus the main theme reminds me of something, I just can't place it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Rock - Hans Zimmer , Nick Glennie-Smith & Harry Gregson-Williams

Still one of my favourite action movies and the score just ROCKS !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LIVE AND LET DIE - George Martin

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    christopher wrote
    NP - Final Fantasy - Elliot Goldenthal

Until this year I had never heard a single score by Goldenthal shame In recent months I bought three of them. This is my favorite of the three. Every track on this album feels so epic, and the LSO sounds so huge! This isn't typically the kind of film music I enjoy most, but if I'm in the right mood, this score is a welcome diversion from my normal listening habits.

What are the other 2 scores you got? Goldenthal is brilliant! Collect them all!
  12. Eric wrote
    NP : The Rock - Hans Zimmer , Nick Glennie-Smith & Harry Gregson-Williams

Still one of my favourite action movies and the score just ROCKS !

I like em too, score and film. I still remember when the score was just released a young couple in a record shop would buy this CD and saying the music rocked, and I remember them not being into film music at all, so The Rock definitely did its part to convert non-believers into semi-believers, at the very least. It's accessible, fun and has a hell of a choral theme...