• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Shocking to discover that Dave Grusin hasn't received his own topic yet. He may not be the most sought after composer of all, but he at least created a couple of memorable scores, including The Champ, On Golden Pond, Tootsie, The Milagro Beanfield War, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Havana and The Firm to name a few. Of course most people (like myself) will know him for the nostalgic fun score for The Goonies, and so it was appropriate as well to post the first review of that score here.

- The Goonies
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010
    not shocking to me at all he didn't have a thread but glad you started one
    listen to more classical music!
  2. sdtom wrote
    not shocking to me at all he didn't have a thread but glad you started one

yeah, and I'm sure there are other composers who haven't got their own thread yet, at least one less forgotten hero now smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010
    For sure Thomas. Heart is a Lonely Hunter is a favorite of mine. My favorite CD from Grusin is actually a gig he did on Gershwin. Nicely done
  3. sdtom wrote
    For sure Thomas. Heart is a Lonely Hunter is a favorite of mine. My favorite CD from Grusin is actually a gig he did on Gershwin. Nicely done

I must be honest that I haven't heard a lot of him, perhaps it is time to do some digging
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    comes from the jazz world
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010
    Must admit that I haven't really caught on to Grusin yet, although I remember liking LUCAS when I saw the movie. I find that his desire to do go jazzy on everything is a little limiting, and his orchestral music is a little too simplistic, IMO. He's a bit like Mark Knopfler that way.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010
    FSM: TOOTSIE
    Music composed by Dave Grusin

Tootsie (1982) is one of the most famous comedies in Hollywood history, with a love song (“It Might Be You”) that has become a pop standard. Yet the soundtrack has been virtually unavailable on CD—until now.

Tootsie starred Dustin Hoffman as an unemployed actor who dresses in drag to land a role on a soap opera. But when his outspoken feminist creation, “Dorothy Michaels,” becomes a media sensation, he grows desperate to stop leading a double life—and to confess his love for his colleague, played by Jessica Lange. With a masterful blend of drama, comedy, contemporary realism and social commentary, and brilliant supporting performances by Dabney Coleman, Teri Garr, Bill Murray, Charles Durning and director Sydney Pollack (as Hoffman’s apoplectic agent), Tootsie is justifiably a classic.

The pitch-perfect score to Tootsie was by Dave Grusin, Pollack’s longtime collaborator on films such as The Yakuza, Three Days of the Condor, Bobby Deerfield and The Electric Horseman (and later, Havana, The Firm and Random Hearts). Tootsie’s unique combination of laughs with serious subject matter required an original approach, and Grusin elevated the film by using the modern jazz fusion style he had helped create in his career as a recording artist. Upbeat, energetic and contemporary, jazz fusion was the perfect choice for Tootsie, and Grusin himself performed the keyboards.

Tootsie is also a masterful example of songwriting for film. The two songs—the pop-standard “It Might Be You” and Caribbean-flavored “Tootsie”—recur in different guises to advance the story, with sensitive lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman and vocals by Stephen Bishop. With music by Grusin himself, the songs emerge seamlessly from the score’s thematic material and could not be more appropriate or essential.

Tootsie was released on LP at the time of the film on Warner Bros. Records but has been released on CD only in Japan. FSM’s premiere U.S. CD features not only the album program (a combination of the original soundtrack and re-recorded selections), but a bonus section of additional score cues and alternate versions—all in vibrant stereo. Liner notes are by Jeff Bond and Lukas Kendall with new and archival interview quotes from the participants.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … 82/TOOTSIE

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/det … 0/Tootsie/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Shocking to discover that Dave Grusin hasn't received his own topic yet. He may not be the most sought after composer of all, but he at least created a couple of memorable scores, including The Champ, On Golden Pond, Tootsie, The Milagro Beanfield War, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Havana and The Firm to name a few. Of course most people (like myself) will know him for the nostalgic fun score for The Goonies, and so it was appropriate as well to post the first review of that score here.

- The Goonies

Weird that it still hasn't been released after all these years, regardless of how much of it is on his Migration album.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010
    Awesome that they retained the LP program! I have fond memories of the film from my youth, but I can't remember much of the score, to be honest.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/m … ve-grusin/

My latest review
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tom - Can I make a suggestion? When you link to a music file you might want to put something like CLICK HERE TO PLAY >> MAIN TITLE FROM MULHOLLAND FALLS or something like that. Right now the link looks like a header and I'm sure many of your readers have no idea that that is a link to a a clip from the score.

And you really need to fix your formatting. The track titles are bleeding into your right hand column.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tom - Can I make a suggestion? When you link to a music file you might want to put something like CLICK HERE TO PLAY >> MAIN TITLE FROM MULHOLLAND FALLS or something like that. Right now the link looks like a header and I'm sure many of your readers have no idea that that is a link to a a clip from the score.

And you really need to fix your formatting. The track titles are bleeding into your right hand column.

-Erik-

Thanks Erik. It took me 60 minutes to figure it out. Would have been easier to have typed it in manually instead of cut and paste from soundtrack collector. Maybe I'll remember what I did to get it right.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Well I thought I had it but now the player doesn't work anymore. I wonder what I did to that
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011
    The new Kritzerland release of Divorce American Style is well worth exploring. I'm working on a review right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/08/05/d … love-1965/

Completed review. Another nice release from Kritzerland
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014
    Seems like its been over three years since this topic has been visited but here is a new review of the Kritzerland release of "Falling in Love."
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/f … -grusin-2/

Tom smile
  5. The Milagro Beanfield War should really see a proper release, given that it is an Oscar winner. There's little snippets on YouTube if that interests anyone.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2016 edited
    Happy New Year Everyone.
    I watched On Golden Pond last night. Wonderful film. Terrific performances.

There were some really intimate moments with the score. I had to look up the composer. I feel ashamed to say I didn't know who he was.
    The piano & winds colors work perfectly against the visuals. To my ears, the score sounded very nostalgic. I hope 2016 allows a chance to discover more of his work.
  6. Love that theme. I haven't heard the rest of the score, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016 edited
    So...I have the 25th anniversary edition of THE GOONIES, but it's far too C&C for me. From what I understand, there was no original album program of this (on the song-heavy OST), so I'm not sure how to arrange this into a proper listen. Has anyone made any a decent playlist of this?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2016
    I ask again -- has anyone ever tried to make a decent playlist out of the 25th anniversary disc of GOONIES?
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I haven't, but I could give it a shot. What are your specifications for a "decent playlist"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2016 edited
    Cover the core thematic material, be diverse with up-tempo and low-tempo periodically, have some sort of arc, remove the more 'functional' bits, stay at appr. 40-50 minutes.

I'll probably try one myself when I get the time.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Finally found a copy of the last film Grusin scored that has been released, "Skating to New York.

About a group of teenage boys that decide during one cold winter to skate across Lake Ontario from Canada, to New York. I guess it was supposed to be an enduring coming-of-age film, but it's relentless bland and boring. I had to skim most of the film, just to hear the score and because the film isn't worth the time.

In all the score comes in two modes: one softer side with strings and other plesant sounds, then a small orchestra drumkit section for some earlier hokey playing.

It's particularly unmemorable and while it tries to push some right buttons, I feel it doesn't. I'll wait until his next project, a documentary from 2015 that still hasn't opened yet, "Saved in America", opens.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. Thor wrote
    Cover the core thematic material, be diverse with up-tempo and low-tempo periodically, have some sort of arc, remove the more 'functional' bits, stay at appr. 40-50 minutes.

I'll probably try one myself when I get the time.

Here it is:

1. Fratelli Chase
    2. Map and Willie
    3. The Goondocks
    4. Cellar and Sloth
    5. Plumbing
    6. Wishing Well and the Fratellis Find Coin
    7. Mikey's Vision
    8. They're Here and Skull Cave Chase
    9. Playing the Bones
    10. Water Slide and Galleon
    11. One Eyed Willie
    12. Treasure, Data & Mouth and Walk the Plank
    13. Sloth & Chunk
    14. Mama & Sloth
    15. The Fighting Fratellis, Sloth's Choice and Ultimate Booby Trap
    16. The Reunion and Fratellis on Beach
    17. No Firme and Pirate Ship
    Total Running Time: 44:16

Depending on how nostalgic you are about the film, you might include "The 'It,' Fifty Dollar Bills and a Stiff" after "Cellar and Sloth." It's not my favorite track away from the film, but I can see why someone would want it included.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2016
    Brilliant, thanks! I don't really have a nostalgic connection to the movie; I may or may not have seen it as a kid, but unlike many other things of the era, this one really slipped by me. Besides, I very rarely listen to soundtracks for film nostalgia, anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2016
    OK, I mostly kept your track listing, christopher. The only changes I did was to insert "Pee Break and Kissing Tunnel" between "16. The Reunion and Fratellis on Beach" and "18. No Firme and Pirate Ship", since it was a bit massive and jaunty towards the end of the album -- it needed a slower track there. Plus, I also tagged on the "End Credits" as the last track, which felt like a natural repetition and closure -- the new total being 50:00, exactly. I think I have a pretty decent GOONIES album now, in lack of a composer-produced album.

Thanks again for doing the rough work! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2016 edited
    No problem smile I wondered if you'd like that End Credits piece. I figured some would. It was too dated for me. I also wondered about breaking up the climactic tracks, but ultimately decided to stick with film order (something I know you don't care too much about).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2016 edited
    Yeah, if I REALLY had a lot of time, I would probably try to shuffle the cues around a bit, to remove it from film order into something else -- in my purely amateur way. But for now, I'll keep it like this. I think the "End Credits" cue is one of the best of the whole score; nothing from the 80s is "dated" for me -- I dig it! smile
    I am extremely serious.