• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    No, I prefer Depp's. He does his usual self, but in this particular role, it fits like a glove.

slant

I mean, he's not even "doing a Depp", really. If he was, I might like it. Here, I don't know what he's doing.
  2. Neville Marriner 1924-2016

I have several recordings he did with the Academy of St Martin in the Field in my collection of classical music. First and foremost the amazing soundtrack of Amadeus.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2016
    Yes, read the news. Very sad, the man is an anchor in my classical collection.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2016
    I have a lot of his recordings too. His take on RVW's Tallis Fantasia is one of my favourites.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2016 edited
    So Leonard Cohen passed away today. sad

I was not a big Cohen fan or anything, but he's one of those who's so ingrained in popular culture, that it's hard not to like at least something. I think my favourite of his is "A Thousand Kisses Deep" which was featured in the Goldenthal-scored THE GOOD THIEF (a brilliant album, btw). I also dig "Everybody Knows" which was also used with chilling effect in Atom Egoyan's EXOTICA (one of my favourite 90s films and a superb Danna score as well).

"Hallelujah" sadly became something of a public anthem, raped in karaoke versions or other 'covers'. But I guess it's understandable, because at its core, it's a haunting melody.

Obviously also other major hits, like "First We Take Manhattan", and "So long, Marianne" which he wrote to his Norwegian girlfriend at the time.

A sad loss in what has been a devastating year in so many ways -- music and otherwise.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I do know some of the songs of course but did not relate those to his name. Cohen - until very recently - flew completely under my radar.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2016
    Here again I was hardly a fan. I almost know nothing of his, but what I know I quite like (even if I'd never buy a CD of his).
    What I DO know about him, is that he retired long ago, but had to come out of retirement because his management bamboozled him, and left him dead broke. As far as that is concerned I'm very sorry for him he had to die in the saddle, rather than enjoying a well-deserved old age. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2016 edited
    yeah

Sad to hear. I'm familiar with quite a bit of his work as a close friend is a huge fan ( he just couldn't believe I didn't go see him when he played at Glasto a few years ago )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. More significant in my world is the death of Robert Vaughn.

THE MAN FROM UNCLE was such a great show.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hah? I thought he passed away YEARS ago!?
  5. Martijn wrote
    Hah? I thought he passed away YEARS ago!?

To be honest, so did I! shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Where you two been hiding? confused I can't remember the name but he was in a UK TV series recently(ish) and was doing rounds of TV chat shows which you've obviously missed.

Anyway, there goes another part of my childhood and the last man standing of The Magnificent Seven, really sad to hear this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Al Caiola too sad

The Man From UNCLE
  6. Timmer wrote
    Where you two been hiding? confused I can't remember the name but he was in a UK TV series recently(ish) and was doing rounds of TV chat shows which you've obviously missed.

Hustle is what you are thinking of? Never watched it, but he hasn't been in it since 2012. And 2012 was the year he was in 13 episodes of Coronation Street!! Don't watch that either.

More recently, he was in Law and Order: Special Victims Unit (2015). But guess what...I don't watch that either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I never had any particular connection to Robert Vaughn (I tend to confuse him with Robert Wagner who I'm more familiar with), but I'm well aware of who he was. Mostly from THE MAG 7, THE TOWERING INFERNO and BULLIT. Curiously, his death is not covered in any Norwegian media at all -- totally overshadowed by Cohen's death and anything Trump.

Sorry to hear this, regardless.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Timmer wrote

Anyway, there goes another part of my childhood and the last man standing of The Magnificent Seven, really sad to hear this.

Adios, amigo!
  8. Actor Ron Glass, known by science fiction fans as Shepherd Book on the series "Firefly", has passed away.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2016
    Greg Lake follows his ELP bandmate Keith Emerson into the great beyond:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38251936

Much too young, of course. Carl Palmer is the last man standing now.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh shit! sad
  9. Just heard this. Very sad. A generation departs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This really hit me.
    A true legend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry to hear that. What a legend! But 95! Damn, that's good innings.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Actually he was 69. (1947-1916)

Oh, I see. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    This really hit me.
    A true legend.

Me too! The man is part of HISTORY. Great man deserved his great age, I fancy watching The Right Stuff again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Actually he was 69. (1947-1916)

Oh, I see. shame

I don't get it....???
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I thought you were referring to Greg Lake rather than to John Glenn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah! So many iconic people passing away this year, that it's easy to get the 'in memoriams' crossed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016
    And now we've lost Dave Brubeck! sad
    OK, 91, which is lovely. But still. Jeez...
  12. It may be quicker at the end of the year to list who's left alive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    And now we've lost Dave Brubeck! sad
    OK, 91, which is lovely. But still. Jeez...

Oh noes!!

It was bad enough when we lost him in 2012 and now we lose him again in 2016? Bummer! sad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brubeck