• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited
    Glad to see you getting into some real music. I've put up a couple of clips of works that you should have in your collection
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/wp-admin/pos … ;message=1
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011
    NP : SCREAMADELICA - Primal Scream

Classic album, brilliant! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011
    Glad to see you getting into some real music.

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Glad to see you getting into some real music.

wink

Somehow I think we interpret real music differently
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011
    Back to New Babylon this am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011
    NP: CONCERT A L'ORGUE DE COVVARUBIAS (Francois Couperin)

Church organ music is powerful, but can also wear out its welcome after a while. Especially if it's like this, performed on a very "whiney", small organ. But the compositions are lovely. I love organ music, although it's almost geekier than film music!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I love organ music, although it's almost geekier than film music!

Johann Sebastian Bach and I disagree.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    I love organ music, although it's almost geekier than film music!

Johann Sebastian Bach and I disagree.

Bach was a NERD! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RARITIES (Eric Woolfson)

The Alan Parsons Project songwriter (recently deceased) had a wonderful songwriting career also before APP. Wrote some wonderful melodies and songs that hinted of the things to come, especially the haunting major-minor mode progressions. This is a collection of some of them. Check out these two, for example:

Marianne Faithful - "Tomorrow's Calling" (1965):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0WkJtd6Q1s

Timothy Blue - "Room at the Top of the Stairs" (1968):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMgYDwHmp5s

The latter would later form the basis of "The Cask of Ammontilado" on TALES OF MYSTERY.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011 edited
    NP: RUMOURS - FLEETWOOD MAC

A quality album by a quality band - one I've not listened to for a good while. I was given a superb bottle of wine tonight by a client at work (a 2000 Chateau Chantalouette), so I'm just sitting back now and chilling the fuck out. With cheese. Bliss.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011
    I completed Shame yesterday and I've still had another listen to the 13+ minute Coltrane/Tyner "My Favorite Things" Trane's work on the soprano sax was superb.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Jimmy Smith Plays The Blues

Great selection of blues(y) jazz tracks on the legendary Verve label.
    Excellent, highly virtuoso performances by the king of jazz organ, backed by Oliver Nelson's big band (who did some truly spectacular arranging) for three tracks and a small combo for the rest.
    Very cool stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn,
    You'd love the Coltrane track!!!
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm listening to a new release that Naxos sent me now. It is 2 1/2 hours of material called the Nordic experience
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Excellent, highly virtuoso performances by the king of jazz organ, backed by Oliver Nelson's big band (who did some truly spectacular arranging) for three tracks and a small combo for the rest.
    Very cool stuff.

I approve! cool

What a shame none of Oliver Nelson's scores for THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN are available, his scoring was funky, exciting and unique, some truly brilliant stuff!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Very cool stuff.

I approve! cool

What a shame none of Oliver Nelson's scores for THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN are available, his scoring was funky, exciting and unique, some truly brilliant stuff!

I found this bit off youtube...

THE SEVEN MILLION DOLLAR MAN

A shame there's no post of the excellent climatic fight between the two, a Nelson tour-de-force.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A SYMPHONY OF HOPE : THE HAITI PROJECT - A lot of composers

25 film and TV composers from Nathan Barr to Christopher Young come together for a very worthy project and the result is a very fine and listenable album that I'll return to many times.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Off to see Joshua Bell with the Oslo philharmonic this evening. Petrenko conducts! Bell is performing the Sibelius violin concerto. I'm warming up on Spotify... wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That sounds great Mark, it's been far too long since I went and saw a classical concert shame
  1. Me too. Lack of company hampers it, I hate going out to places like this alone.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Me too. Lack of company hampers it, I hate going out to places like this alone.

sad

I'd go with you if I lived anywhere close.
  2. I do intend to go to see the LSO live one day, that's for sure.

If I ever am in London at that time, we could definitely go with my friend to the BBC Proms. Some great stuff I heard there when I was in London for the first time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I saw the LSO numerous times in the late 70's with no less than Andre Previn conducting, a shame that despite being into film music at that time that I didn't know that Previn had been an in-demand film composer before giving it up and that he was also a close friend of John Williams ( Williams FAMILY PLOT score is influenced by Previn's DEAD RINGER )
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    That sounds great Mark, it's been far too long since I went and saw a classical concert shame

I don't go too often myself. Of course for me it helps to know people in the orchestra (and sqeeze free tickets out of them from time to time) and to be involved enough in the music community to always run into people you know during intermission. Had it not been for that I might not attend much at all... which is a shame becuase the concerts here can be truly amazing!

About the concert tonight: Bell was wonderful, he has such an amazing sound. But I felt the chemistry didn't seem to work right between him and Petrenko. It was almost as if the orchestra was restraining him. The third movement of Sibelius had a slow start with some rare slip ups in Bell's playing. Nice to know he's only human too wink

The highlight was Thcaikovsky's 4th symphony... at the moment my favourite piece of music! Petrenko and the philharmonic stunned the hall with an exhilarating performance. I heard the same work in London last year with the Londond philharmonic and it couldn't even compare to this evening's performance... I'm looking forward to re-experiencing it in the upcoming television broadcast. It was absolutely breathtaking. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Cantus Arcticus/Rautavaara Birds are actually used in the recording. I like it
  3. Timmer wrote
    I saw the LSO numerous times in the late 70's with no less than Andre Previn conducting, a shame that despite being into film music at that time that I didn't know that Previn had been an in-demand film composer before giving it up and that he was also a close friend of John Williams ( Williams FAMILY PLOT score is influenced by Previn's DEAD RINGER )

Quite recently my great friend led me to see a skit featuring Previn himself. I don't remember who performed it, but it seems to be pretty famous in the UK. It was about a performance of Grieg's piano concerto which... goes a bit awry.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Cantus Arcticus/Rautavaara Birds are actually used in the recording. I like it

I love that work, very relaxing with a feeling of unease.....if that makes sense?

Bird recordings are also used in Resphigi's The Pines of Rome.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

Quite recently my great friend led me to see a skit featuring Previn himself. I don't remember who performed it, but it seems to be pretty famous in the UK. It was about a performance of Grieg's piano concerto which... goes a bit awry.

That's a brilliant sketch and well known over here.

This is the full sketch MR PREVUE

You won't understand a few references as they are very much of that time but it's still hilarious, Previn's "look" when Eric starts playing is priceless biggrin
  4. Oh, I saw it and I DID find it hilarious.

The best was when he got his own name confused biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/m … -11-17-11/

this is the first reel of New Babylon from Shostakovich.