• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012
    NP: Rachmaninov: Music for Piano - Sergei Rachmaninoff (Jeremy Filsell, piano)

Got this album today. Great release from Signum Classics. Really good Rach! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I don't have that recording but his preludes are outstanding.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    ALBERT ROUSSEL: The Spider's Banquet Composed in 1912 it is a ballet/pantomine that is about insect life in a garden. The recording I have is with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Stephane Deneve. It is evident that Roussel was influenced by Debussy and Ravel.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 50 : MOUNT ST. HELENS - Alan Hovhaness

Astounding work from one of the greatest American composers. I'd happily recommend it to everyone, it's very accessable, very film-music like in places.

Here's a taster Movement III

I just love the percussion that starts around the 3 minute mark, the piece is book ended by a Vaughan Williams like elegiac music.

^
    Did anybody bother to check this out? ( bring on Steven's :like: function idea ASAP )

Anyway, I'm still in a Hovhaness mood...

NP : MYSTERIOUS MOUNTAIN - Alan Hovhaness

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Arvo Pärt - Tabula Rasa

An album featuring some of his work, featuring the beautiful "Fratres." I love the composer, his style goes very well with me. So relaxing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. The album introduced me to the eponymous Tabula Rasa piece. I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Did anybody bother to check this out? ( bring on Steven's :like: function idea ASAP )

I did, and realised you'd recommended it before, a while back. I'd not bothered to seek it out that time but will now!

Superb piece.

NP: THE LARK ASCENDING - RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS

There was a question about this on a TV quiz show earlier. Gave me the urge to play it but didn't have time. So, here we go...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012 edited
    Double post. shame
  3. One of the most beautiful pieces I've heard in my 27-year-old life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2012 edited
    Blew me away first time I heard it! The effect hasn't diminished a great deal since though, so I save it for special occasions (such as when I crack open a few beers on a Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun night). Hmm...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2012
    LSH wrote
    Blew me away first time I heard it! The effect hasn't diminished a great deal since though, so I save it for special occasions (such as when I crack open a few beers on a Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun night). Hmm...

biggrin beer

Me beered up too dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

I did, and realised you'd recommended it before, a while back. I'd not bothered to seek it out that time but will now!

Superb piece.

NP: THE LARK ASCENDING - RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS

There was a question about this on a TV quiz show earlier. Gave me the urge to play it but didn't have time. So, here we go...

I have an urge to play it right now but I dopn't think I'll last long enogh.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    One of the most beautiful pieces I've heard in my 27-year-old life.

Indeed Pawel beer

I forgot to mention earlier that I played Tabula Rasa earlier after seeeing your NP, Part is an incredible composer, such moving music.
  4. Vangelis - Mythodea

Great epic work from the synthesizer master. What I don't get is how could he get the orchestrations so bad in Alexander after writing THIS?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Vangelis - Mythodea

Great epic work from the synthesizer master. What I don't get is how could he get the orchestrations so bad in Alexander after writing THIS?

I need to play this again ( along with many others ), it's bloody brilliant!
  5. I am in a period of discovering Vangelis recently. I've heard this album before, but very long ago.

I still have L'Apocalypse des Animaux, The City to check. And I need to get back to Voices and Direct.

I used to heavily dislike Vangelis, but now I discovered the guy thanks to a friend who's 11 years younger than me and is sending me the albums. And it's a good discovery, I think I am also discovering myself while at it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Vangelis - Mythodea

It's good in smaller doses, but quickly wears out its welcome after the Holstian opening, IMO.

I prefer Vangelis with less choir and orchestra, and more synths-only.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, there's plenty of that if that's what you want.

NP : 50 WORDS FOR SNOW - Kate Bush

A beautiful album, very meditative and hypnotic, I really love this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I'm still yet to hear this. I've read/heard some very positive things.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    I'm still yet to hear this. I've read/heard some very positive things.

I like it so much that I've only just put it on repeat cool

Some interesting guests on this album too including Andy Fairweather Low, Elton John and Stephen Fry.
  6. Vangelis - Silent Portraits

Beautiful relaxing music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Symphony No. 1 - Edward Elgar

Never before heard his symphonies! Great music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2012 edited
    NP: CYCLES 3 (Max Graham)

Remix 2CD from last year from the DJ superstar. Funky, accessible techno.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Vangelis - Mythodea

I need to play this again ( along with many others ), it's bloody brilliant!

Have you seen the dvd?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No.
  7. No.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've seen the concert. It's fine, but again -- if you don't connect to the music all that much, there isn't much else.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    William wrote
    NP: Symphony No. 1 - Edward Elgar

Never before heard his symphonies! Great music!

Glad to see you exploring new territory.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Miaskovsky String Quartet #13 performed by the Pacifica Quartet.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Do so, if you liked the cd you'll love the concert. Stunning job.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.