• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011
    World Soundtrack Lifetime Achievement Award for disco pioneer Giorgio Moroder

The 11th World Soundtrack Awards, which will be held at the Kuipke Events Centre in Ghent on 22 October, welcome a new star in their line-up: none other than three-time Oscar winner and “father of disco” Giorgio Moroder (Midnight Express, Flashdance, Scarface). During the awards ceremony, he will be conferred a Lifetime Achievement Award for his exceptional career in film music. A selection from his work will be performed live by the Brussels Philharmonic - the Orchestra of Flanders, conducted by Dirk Brossé.

Sounds creepy...

More info:
    http://www.filmfestival.be/about2.cgi?g … mp;lang=en
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    [Sounds creepy...

yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. There must be someone more worthy than this composer? Even Tyler Bates?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There must be someone more worthy than this composer?

Hard to think of anyone less worthy (in terms of his film music).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's incredibly silly.

He joins the previous winners:
    2001 - Elmer Bernstein
    2002 - George Martin
    2003 - Maurice Jarre
    2004 - Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman
    2005 - Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
    2006 - Peer Raben
    2007 - Mikis Theodorakis
    2008 - Angelo Badalamenti
    2009 - Marvin Hamlisch
    2010 - John Barry

face-palm-mt
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hmm. In fairness they got a bit silly in the middle of the last decade, too. (What are Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller's great contributions to film music?)
  2. Southall wrote
    Hmm. In fairness they got a bit silly in the middle of the last decade, too. (What are Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller's great contributions to film music?)

Maybe they were the composers who could make it there that year?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011
    Awesome!! Will he be there himself?

One of my 80's heroes, for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I thought you would be happy. Yes, he will attend.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Hilarious!
    Had a good laugh with your reaction on the Filmfestival's page, Bregt smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The list of people they can get to turn up must be getting very short indeed.

Next year's award - maybe to Desmond Lynam? He used to be on tv. And they show films on tv. And films on tv have music in them. Yes, lifetime achievement award for Des. (Barely less deserving than old Giorgio.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ok, lets not exaggerate? wink

I think the organisation has brought some of the biggest names to Ghent, and some really great concerts. But often their decisions are so wrong. My head get scratched now and then too.

I think Desmond Lynam could be good. Perhaps combined with one of the Irish winners of the Eurosong Contest.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Absolutely. They get some great guests. I'm being silly. Giorgio is, putting it mildly, not a favourite of mine when it comes to his film music (but he did write some great songs). He was certainly very influential for a while and, in his defence, some of the people who came along afterwards and imitated him were somehow even worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    From the reconciliatory tone I gather some film music site webmasters that shall remain nameless for now suddenly remembered the comments on this forum are public? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011
    Perhaps said webmaster realised that he might just provoke an unwanted confrontation with a certain Norse gentleman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2013
    Here's Gorgio Moroder on the new Daft Punk album
    http://randomaccessmemories.com/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2013
    Very cool!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014 edited
    This is pretty friggin' fantastic, whatever it is (a new Moroder composition or a remix of some sort):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynu17S9XmVU

punk
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014 edited

Cool! The featured song/video is a bit weird, with the rather arhythmical "74 is the new 24" vocal line, but the bass line is classic Moroder/MIDNIGHT EXPRESS, of course. Looking forward to it!

If you click the video that I posted right above yours, however, you'll see a mix of the same basic idea that I prefer.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yikes, Spears. Watch out for that umbrella, Giorgio.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2015
    Wow, I think I've just landed a 20-minute interview with Moroder this upcoming Wednesday. Watch this space!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Congrats! Didn't you intend to get drunk? smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2015 edited
    Thanks. I am -- sort of. But there were no offers from friends to go out, so I'm winding slowly down. A couple more and I call it quits. I can't remember the last Friday I didn't drink anything. Probably in the 90s.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2015
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Giorgio Moroder should be the new "thing". "James Horner" doesn't feel as 'absurdly fun' now that he's gone.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Moroder should never be or have been a thing.
    A great and inexplicable burp in the Universe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2015 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Moroder should never be or have been a thing.
    A great and inexplicable burp in the Universe.

LOL! I'll be sure to pass that along to him on Wednesday.

Moroder has always been a big favourite of mine -- a genius producer and composer -- and I'm proud to say that his MIDNIGHT EXPRESS Oscar win was very well deserved. So we couldn't be on more different planets here, Martijn.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Moroder is right up there with Jarre, Vangelis and Beethov... Right, maybe not with him. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.