• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011 edited
    To put it into perspective, if The Flight of The Griffin had been part of the score for WILLOW it would be considered one of the lesser tracks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. plindboe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Love that score! The epic choral writing for the sci-fi elements of the picture is superb! Lots of fun!

-Erik-

It seems I dislike everything you like. Hope we'll find some taste overlap some day. smile

Peter smile

Peter, your comment made me think, has Morricone scored an animated film? My whisky-induced haze means that I can't think of any.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hummm... I don't know about that. I think the Griffin music is one of his finest career moments.

The biggest issue I have with this score is that it jumps from one style of music to another waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much, which makes the listening experience incredibly jarring. For instance, "Jared and Mulgarath Fight for the Chronicles" features some pretty violent action music... lots of hard hitting percussion, anvil hits, etc. But then in a blink of an eye the track goes from that (which is awesome) to some corny, goofball comedy material (which Horner doesn't do well at all) and unfortunately turns a rather exciting track into something cringe worthy.

He does it again with "Coming Home." It goes from the gorgeous Griffin theme, which is working oh so well, building into what should be this magnificent crescendo for the climax of the cue (the way only James Horner knows how to) but then turns on a dime back to the ludicrous comedy stuff for the last 20 seconds or so! Argh! crazy So frustrating!

You know, there is a solid 6-7 track album that can come out of all of this.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    My whisky-induced haze means that I can't think of any.

You're right! I should have some whisky. Thanks Alan! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Peter, your comment made me think, has Morricone scored an animated film? My whisky-induced haze means that I can't think of any.

I think he's only scored a single animated film, so whisky or not, most people wouldn't know that. It's called Aida degli alberi and it's a fantastic score. ****½

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jerry Goldsmith 80th Birthday Celebration

Some of the performances here make me shudder. Seriously, this can't actually be a professional orchestra, can it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I think he's only scored a single animated film, so whisky or not, most people wouldn't know that. It's called Aida degli alberi and it's a fantastic score. ****½

Peter smile

What about Cartoni Animati? I don't actually know, but it's title would suggest...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HANCOCK - John Powell

Cool!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

Some of the performances here make me shudder. Seriously, this can't actually be a professional orchestra, can it?

Is that the Varese Club release thing? Yeah, those FIMUCITE concerts aren't very good.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes indeed. It makes Silva Screen's early-90s Prague recordings sound like the Berlin Philharmonic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Cool!

The expanded/complete/whatever has some pretty good tracks worth adding to an already excellent album! (Mostly cues from the bank robbery scene.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Cool!

The expanded/complete/whatever has some pretty good tracks worth adding to an already excellent album! (Mostly cues from the bank robbery scene.)

It does! ( I have it somewhere? ) But I love having the proper albums of scores I like, I'm picky like that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Godzilla David Arnold

It ain't clever, but it is big. One of my all time favourite scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Gremlins - Jerry Goldsmith

It has been quite some time since I gave this a spin - but with the FSM announcement yesterday (and my subsequent immediate placing of an order for it), I am having a great time with it. I really miss Goldsmith!
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think my disappointment stems from my high expectations. There is some really good stuff but like I said as a whole... well, I'd rather reach for his previous animated efforts or Willow!

-Erik-

Shall we really have big expectations from big composers these days? I think not. The output suggests so.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

The writing is technically sound and there's a lot of stuff in this score that we haven't heard from Horner before but the biggest issue is that as a whole the score is dreadfully boring! Casper's theme pops up a few times (annoying) but besides that there is really nothing else thematically that holds this score together. It's so... uninteresting!

There are few solid action licks (the ferocious "A Desperate Run Through the Tunnels" is a killer cut) and of course the brilliant "The Flight of the Griffin" (a cue that only James Horner could write) but after all is said and done I found myself saying, "That's it?" Disappointing isn't a strong enough word especially when Horner has written so many outstanding and memorable adventure scores.

The most positive aspect of this album is the splendid and dynamic recording by Simon Rhodes. I can't believe this is the same guy who recorded Deep Impact.

-Erik-

Ironically, I liked the use of Casper in this score than I did in Casper. -_-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Not I. It's actually under developed in Spiderwick.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote

Star Trek: First Contact was performed only "so so". They killed The Swarm (shockingly poor performance from the horn section)! It's as though they were given the sheet music minutes earlier upside down!
    Some cues were performed quite well though. I really enjoy watching them perform The Omen and Planet of the Apes! Both quite difficult to perform yet they manage pretty well.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011
    NP: Murder in the First - Christopher Young

It's been FAR, FAR, FAR too long since I last listened to this fantastic score by Chris Young! Gorgeous stuff!
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Peter smile

What about Cartoni Animati? I don't actually know, but it's title would suggest...

Good point. I just searched it online though, and it turns out that it's not an animated movie, despite the title which I think translates to "Animated cartoons". Here's a clip.

Cartoni animati is another fine score though. A **** in my opinion.

Peter dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm bolloxed and enjoyingy the feck out of...

NP : THE THING - Ennio Morricone

The original of caorse!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Mogens wrote
    NP: Murder in the First - Christopher Young

It's been FAR, FAR, FAR too long since I last listened to this fantastic score by Chris Young! Gorgeous stuff!

One of my all-time faves.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    This whistling piece always makes me in a great mood.

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Listening to Morricone and it always amazes me when I'm in a Morricone mood, just how much incredible music there is. That this one guy could create such an extraordinary number of incredible melodies throughout his career never seizes to amaze me. And worst of all, most of them are completely unknown to most of the world, even to most film music fans. I wish he had composed for blockbusters like Horner and Williams, and people would worship him like there's no tomorrow. Compose for obscure italian movies, and no one seems to notice, no matter how good the music is.

Peter smile
  3. The best thing is always the unpopular. Like Ángel Illarramendi, most of the films he scored we're unknown for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011 edited
    I sometimes wonder what boards like these would be like if popularity of scores and composers were completely unrelated to popularity of movies, and the quality of scores were the single dominant factor in determining their popularity. I wonder what composers we'd all be ranting about. No doubt guys like Williams would still be popular, since he's a bloody genius, but I think tons of composers currently considered obscure would be considered among the giants, and threads like these would be filled with titles in all kinds of strange languages, instead of being dominated by scores to English speaking movies.

Peter smile
  4. yeah
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    plindboe wrote
    Listening to Morricone and it always amazes me when I'm in a Morricone mood, just how much incredible music there is. That this one guy could create such an extraordinary number of incredible melodies throughout his career never seizes to amaze me. And worst of all, most of them are completely unknown to most of the world, even to most film music fans. I wish he had composed for blockbusters like Horner and Williams, and people would worship him like there's no tomorrow. Compose for obscure italian movies, and no one seems to notice, no matter how good the music is.

Peter smile

That's why we are glad you are here with us, to share enthusiasm for the Morricone scores we do not know. cheesy
  5. Indeed.

And we'd still all disagree about who they were. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    I sometimes wonder what boards like these would be like if popularity of scores and composers were completely unrelated to popularity of movies, and the quality of scores were the single dominant factor in determining their popularity. I wonder what composers we'd all be ranting about. No doubt guys like Williams would still be popular, since he's a bloody genius, but I think tons of composers currently considered obscure would be considered among the giants, and threads like these would be filled with titles in all kinds of strange languages, instead of being dominated by scores to English speaking movies.

Peter smile

I'd certainly like to think we'd see a lot less mentions of Zimmer and his ilk.