• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011
    Yes this one. It was recorded for the 15 years' anniversary of the original release. Sally's song by Ame Lee is my personal favourite! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano (Morricone)

Bloody brilliant!

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano (Morricone)

Bloody brilliant!

Peter smile

1. Is that 1912? Or 1911 biggrin

Michael Giacchino - Medal of Honor: Frontline

Also bloody brilliant. To me it's Giacchino's best Medal of Honor score. The first is the biggest fun, but this one has the fun of part one and drama and darkness of Underground combined into a great and exciting package. And of course, After the Drop, to me possibly Giacchino's singularly best track.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Russia House - Jerry Goldsmith

Brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Brilliant!

A great album but it goes on too long.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, I can think of a number of scores where it doesn't go on long enough.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Debt - Thomas Newman

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Newman really should score a big-budget action film, just to stretch his muscles. "One More Parcel" proves he's capable of it.

Maybe some day one of his frequent directorial collaborators - Sam Mendes, perhaps - will direct a big-budget action film and bring him along for the ride.

Sam Mendes is going to direct the new James Bond movie, so there's a chance.
  3. Southall wrote

Brilliant!

Yep! Kill me, but it might just be my favourite Goldsmith score
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    Is that 1912? Or 1911 biggrin

Michael Giacchino - Medal of Honor: Frontline

Also bloody brilliant. To me it's Giacchino's best Medal of Honor score. The first is the biggest fun, but this one has the fun of part one and drama and darkness of Underground combined into a great and exciting package. And of course, After the Drop, to me possibly Giacchino's singularly best track.

And not forgetting one hell of an awesome recording. punk

Arnhem = my number one emotional cue

The Rowhouses = my number one ballsy action cue

Sturmgeist's Armored Train = my number one choral cue

But it's all fantastic really, it remains my favourite of Michael. When this was released I was convinced of the fact he was destined to become the next John Williams. He really should return to this style of composing ASAP. But not too many films will let him do this, I fear.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

Brilliant!

Yep! Kill me, but it might just be my favourite Goldsmith score

It's weird but I remember being completely turned off by it. But that was so long ago I have to revisit it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Southall wrote
    Wild Russia - Kolja Erdmann

I've wanted this since I watched the series a couple of years ago, but thought it hadn't been released. It was actually released under its German title (the very snappy Russland: Im Reich der Tiger, Bären und Vulkane) and now I find that Alan actually mentioned it on this very forum a long time ago. Anyway, I've got it now and it's superb wildlife documentary music. Not really in the George Fenton vein, too - more darkly dramatic, with a bit of a Russian hint. Superb.

Found a suite:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVP9aBySGPU

Thanks for pointing me to it. Didn't like all it -- something rubbed me the wrong way.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011 edited
    STAR TREK NEMESIS - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Jerry on autopilot, and I can't say I like it a lot. But there is much worse music to pass the time with.

It becomes a bit more action packed at the end, good enough for me.
  7. I still want my fucking $8.50 back from seeing that aweful Trek film.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Southall wrote

I've wanted this since I watched the series a couple of years ago, but thought it hadn't been released. It was actually released under its German title (the very snappy Russland: Im Reich der Tiger, Bären und Vulkane) and now I find that Alan actually mentioned it on this very forum a long time ago. Anyway, I've got it now and it's superb wildlife documentary music. Not really in the George Fenton vein, too - more darkly dramatic, with a bit of a Russian hint. Superb.

It's good, isn't it!

BTW, thanks for the mention.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

It's an outstanding score !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011 edited
    yonythemoony wrote
    Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Debt - Thomas Newman

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Newman really should score a big-budget action film, just to stretch his muscles. "One More Parcel" proves he's capable of it.

Maybe some day one of his frequent directorial collaborators - Sam Mendes, perhaps - will direct a big-budget action film and bring him along for the ride.

Why does he need a big action movie ? All of his greatest scores, none of them are for action movies ! Which score in his resume gave you theirs that he is good in action scoring ?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CAMILLE CLAUDEL - Gabriel Yared

One of the composers very best scores, stunning!
  9. That is a beauty, that one. If I had it handy, I'd give it a listen too.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. Christodoulides wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Debt - Thomas Newman

Why does he need a big action movie ? All of his greatest scores, none of them are for action movies ! Which score in his resume gave you theirs that he is good in action scoring ?

The Pixar movies he scored for one. Also Angels In America, The Green Mile, and Red Corner.
  11. Well, thank goodness no everybody looks at it that way, and we got things like:

"Troy" (Gabriel Yared)
    "Batman" (Danny Elfman)
    for example.
  12. Yes, great things have happened when composers step out of their comfort zone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011
    No you are right on this one and he has showed glimpses of that writing but I see it very difficult to actually happen. He gets smaller and smaller assignments as times go by and nowadays most directors go for the "new" zimmeresque rc-ish / Brian Tyler action kind of thing. If it was 2011, I think the chances of Troy by Yared happening even accidentally would be closer to zero now.
  13. Finally decided, after not being able to sleep, to pop in the promo CD's Yared send me out of the blue back when I interviewed him. Three CD's, so I got some timed filled with discovery.

First up is the promo discovery (YAD-004)

First three cues are from a ballet called "Le Diable Amoureux". If you ever wanted to know what those whacky cues from "Pee Wee's Playhouse" would sound like if done more professionally, well here you go. Not my thing.

The next tracks are from various films (years range from 1980 to 1995):

"Malevil" (Preluyde a la Pluie)
    An odd small ensamble piece with piano, woodwinds, what sound like glass textures, and bird chirping. Almost like a oddball lounge piece with hectic moments. As weird as it sounds, far more accessable than the first three tracks above.

Commercial music for Eurostar
    More akin to something Danny Elfman might have done in the early '90's. If he was French. Quite enjoyable.

"Inviation Au Voyage" (Main Title)
    Hard to describe. I could possibly say it's like Jerry, but French, are some early career sexual thriller. A lot of soft synths, weird percussion.

[b]"Tatie Danielle"
    (Tatie's Blues)
    The French equivilant of blues; sax's, some woodwinds, accordians, keyboard percussion, some kind of wailing faux male/female voice in the middle onward. It started out enjoyable, but went into this weird unplesant experimental route.

The last cue brings us back to the small ensable experimental sound that the CD opened up with, but mroe mature, and oddly enough titled "Goodbye Now...".

"La Scalatine" (Main Title)
    Sort of a slow-paced swing piece with sax's, woodwinds, accordians.

"La Scalatine" (Jacques & Nicole)
    A tender piano and duo violin piece (some other instruments) in a rmoantic style.

"Sauve Qui Peut la Vie" (Du Lilieu A L'au-Dela)
    A small synth piece with repeating ostinatos and oddball experiemtning over. While experimenting is appreciated, I'd rather he do 50 more films where the lead dies, than this again.

Back to another film selection, this time another ballet called "Shamrock"
    A Short Tale: Kalimba, boy chorus, various foreign percussion, which suddenly is over taken by a dramatic driving string work, before diving back into the soft errie stuff.
    Human Clock: Experimenting in synth percussions, and even what sounds like some kind of chanting African voice. A repeating rythem builds on it all. Almost catchy.
    Strange Voices: What it sounds like. Various synth voices and percussion. For 3:14.
    Sidetrack: More synth sounds, this time car horns, something what sounds like a copier or fax printing something out, some sax's; oddball stuff.
    Shamrock: More experimentation.

Another chunk of various film pieces:
    "Sarhah" (L'azur de Sarah)
    A somber piece with strings and piano.

Commercial music for GDF; 2:03
    Farily big sounding string orchestra, woodwinds, solo female vocals. You'd more expect this as the opening to "What Dreams May Come" than a commercial. Very nice stuff.

"La Romana" (Nostalgia)
    Sort of that high pitched romantic saxophone stuff you'd hear in the eighties, with film noir like string backing.

"La Romana" (Due Donne)
    String only piece.

"Hanna K" (Hanna K)
    Moody string work (with something else in there -- having a hard time identifying it; also a foreign guitar breifly around the end). Imagine Yared's answer to a French "Carlito's Way".

"L'Instinct de L'Ange" (Aria)
    Strings & woodwinds. Just sort of "there" for me. Does nothing more.

"Beyond Therapy" (Fugue)
    Sounds like duo pianos, playing in a moderately fast tempo. Don't like it at all.

"Les Marmottes" (Pleure Pas Lola)
    After some piano noodling, it goes into a faux "Somewhere, Beyond the Sea" jazzy number.

"Clavigo" (another ballet)
    Seven tracks from dramatic string work, wood winds flurishes, brass, snare. Some upbeat xylaphone with bouncy strings.
    The cue "Jeu de Cartes" could be a light precursor incidcating what "Les Miserables" could have sounded like; it's got dramatic repeating string ostinatos, with building damatic brass over it and some light percussion about. It's driving.
  14. Continuing with the 2CD promo film music (YAD 003A & B)

Four cues from "The English Patient"

Five cues from "Betty Blue"

Four from "City of Angels".

Six from "The Talented Mr. Ripley".

Three from "Map of the Human Heart".

Two from "The King's Whore".

Six from "The Lover".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    That is a beauty, that one. If I had it handy, I'd give it a listen too.

I still want the CD release of CAMILLE CLAUDEL ( at a reasonable price ), it was you Michael, who sent me a CDR copy of this some years ago and that's the one I was playing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I bought it in Ubeda for 12EUR. What a beautiful music. I also bought the For the Record compilation from the Ghent film festival. Wonderful selection of his work, including some I hadn't heard before (Possession, L’Arche et les Déluges, Wings of Courage, Bon Voyage and La romana). It also includes a short one and a half minute tribute to Maurice Jarre.

Yared's music is wonderful, and I still have the best memories to the honorary concert for Minghella he did in Ghent some years ago. Certainly one of the best concerts I've been at.

Gonna play his (and Moucha's) Das Leben der Anderen right now!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011 edited
    There's a copy on Amazon for $54.....that's just silly.

p.s. I'd have loved to be at that Yared concert.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Rating my Morricone in itunes. Have so far rated 2604 tracks. Only 3982 tracks to go. I expect to have it all rated sometime in late 2017 (...and I expect a computer crash soon thereafter, whereby I'll lose all my ratings).

Peter smile