• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    NP: AMAZING STORIES, VOL. 1 (Various)

Lots of great and eclectic music on this, not only by Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited
    Durango (Mark McKenzie)

My favourite McKenzie score after The last sin eater. It's a great listen from start to finish, not a single dull moment.

Peter punk
  1. NP: "The Greatest Video Game Music" - Various

I am sometimes worried about when an orchestra plays video game music: sometimes the smaller scale and sampled music of the game suits better than the expansive sound of an orchestra. And sometimes the arrangers stick in a drum kit and hope this covers up any deficiencies.

But the London Symphony Orchestra does a reasonably good job here on this set released at the beginning of the week. Titles such as Advent Rising, Legend of Zelda, Call of Duty, Angry Birds, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto IV, World of Warcraft, Tetris, Elder Scrolls IV, Splinter Cell: Conviction, BioShock, Halo 3, Super Mario Galaxy & Fallout 3 get the treatment.

Quite a good album:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Video- … p;sr=301-1

(love the artwork!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: "The Greatest Video Game Music" - Various

I am sometimes worried about when an orchestra plays video game music: sometimes the smaller scale and sampled music of the game suits better than the expansive sound of an orchestra. And sometimes the arrangers stick in a drum kit and hope this covers up any deficiencies.

But the London Symphony Orchestra does a reasonably good job here on this set released at the beginning of the week. Titles such as Advent Rising, Legend of Zelda, Call of Duty, Angry Birds, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto IV, World of Warcraft, Tetris, Elder Scrolls IV, Splinter Cell: Conviction, BioShock, Halo 3, Super Mario Galaxy & Fallout 3 get the treatment.

Quite a good album:

(love the artwork!)

Most, if not all of those scores are too new for me and really for games I don't have any interest in (I quit my playing in the 90's, and then it was mostly point-and-click adventure games). But the music can of course be excellent!

I wish someone made a similar recording of my favourite Lucasarts games etc., especially those that would sustain an orchestral arrangement.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Most, if not all of those scores are too new for me and really for games I don't have any interest in (I quit my playing in the 90's, and then it was mostly point-and-click adventure games). But the music can of course be excellent!

I wish someone made a similar recording of my favourite Lucasarts games etc., especially those that would sustain an orchestral arrangement.

Agree on all that you said there.
    I recognise so little here. sad Some of the old Commodore 64 games would be great bases for orchestral arrangements.
    I'd be more than happy to part with my money for such an endeavour!
    And Lucasarts recordings.....whooooo!!!! lick Monkey Island....Day Of The Tentacle...Full Throttle....Outlaws. What a dream!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah

A lot of the tracks on this new album are from recent popular games. I'm not so sure about some of the choices to be honest? Certainly some good choices there, but... a little misrepresentative considering it's called The Greatest Video Game Music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Black Beauty Danny Elfman

This is my favourite score for a film about a horse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Artist - Ludovic Bource

I probably butchered this poor man's name on my show but even if his name was Snot Face Poopy Mouth this score will still go down as one of the most impressive written this year. For those that love the sound of Golden Age scores then this one is for you. It's old fashioned. And by old fashioned I mean OLD FASHIONED. This score would not be out of place in a 50's melodrama! Gerhardt would have included this in his Classic Film Series in a heartbeat!

Brilliant!

Up Next: The equally brilliant Fireflies in the Garden by Jane Antonia Cornish! This year is shaping up to be a really good one!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    I probably butchered this poor man's name on my show but even if his name was Snot Face Poopy Mouth this score will still go down as one of the most impressive written this year.

applause
    Made me smile!

One of these days we're gonna have a webconference and I will teach you to say 'Rogier van Otterloo'! wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    yeah

A lot of the tracks on this new album are from recent popular games. I'm not so sure about some of the choices to be honest? Certainly some good choices there, but... a little misrepresentative considering it's called The Greatest Video Game Music.

Indeed! Most definitely not a collection of the GREATEST video games scores. There are some GREAT ones listed there but it's missing so many classics.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I probably butchered this poor man's name on my show but even if his name was Snot Face Poopy Mouth this score will still go down as one of the most impressive written this year.

applause
    Made me smile!

One of these days we're gonna have a webconference and I will teach you to say 'Rogier van Otterloo'! wink

Please do! My biggest weakness is pronouncing names... and I was just informed that I fudged up Michael Morpurgo's name. Errrr... but I blame that on poor spelling on my part (Michael Morpugo suicide ) But then again, this is the first time I've come across the author.

shame

Does anyone know how to pronounce Ludovic Bource? I searched high and low for video and/or audio where some one says his name but I was unsuccessful.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Seems like he is French, so if that's right it should be "LoodohVEEC BOOrs".

Hm. Always tough to do this phonetically. slant I should probably make some recordings...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think I came pretty close to that.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Have you heard Chris Huelsbeck's Symphonic Shades? Chris is apparently a legend when it comes down to video game music. He wrote some very popular video game music during the 8-bit age. For Symphonic Shades Huelsbeck re-orchestrates his 8-bit blips and bloops for full symphony orchestra and chorus and the results are spectacular.

http://www.maz-sound.com/Symphonic-Shades/en/The-CD/

If you can, samples some of the original 8-bit themes... you should find them on YouTube.... and then listen to the orchestral versions. This album blew me away! I'm sorry, but I can't remember who recommended the album to me but it's one of the finest orchestral albums in my collection!

I'll try to re-upload the program where I featured some of the music on my show!

-Erik-
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    JEEPERS CREEPERS 2 - BENNETT SALVAY

vomit

Oh wait, what I meant was:

vomit vomit

Darn, made another mistake:

vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit

That's more like it.

In other words, I absolutely loathe this, and I find it hilarious this is being labeled as music, right there on the cover !!!! confused shocked rolleyes

once again I fail to give my brother a score he might like sad . Sorry you think this way, but I love this score. Nice big brassy horror music, with an incredible The Big Battle cue as ultimate crowdpleaser. I'm glad a lot of people like this score as well
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Now that's a great album! (Symphonic Shades that is.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    once again I fail to give my brother a score he might like sad . Sorry you think this way, but I love this score. Nice big brassy horror music, with an incredible The Big Battle cue as ultimate crowdpleaser. I'm glad a lot of people like this score as well

He hates this yet he loves Alien3?

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

I know, I can't seem to get into his head. One time I think, this he'll like because he likes something similar, and yet he totally detests it.

It's a curse I'll have to carry with me for the rest of my life wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

I saw this and immediatly went rolleyes

Question: what does Alien 3 have that Jeepers 2 doesn't?

The answer is real simple.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

yeah, an alien tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

I know, I can't seem to get into his head. One time I think, this he'll like because he likes something similar, and yet he totally detests it.

Haha, nice one, but let's spin this the other way, I'll have to keep listening to what you make me check out for the rest of MY life.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

Haha, nice one, but let's spin this the other way, I'll have to keep listening to what you make me check out for the rest of MY life.

either way, we BOTH lose
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote

Quite a good album:

(love the artwork!)

Oh goodie, seeing how I know a lot of these titles I'll be sure to check it out. The LSO performing? Awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

The number 3?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote

(love the artwork!)

Absolutely! Fantastically clever and creative!
    •  
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Have you heard Chris Huelsbeck's Symphonic Shades? Chris is apparently a legend when it comes down to video game music. He wrote some very popular video game music during the 8-bit age. For Symphonic Shades Huelsbeck re-orchestrates his 8-bit blips and bloops for full symphony orchestra and chorus and the results are spectacular.

http://www.maz-sound.com/Symphonic-Shades/en/The-CD/

If you can, samples some of the original 8-bit themes... you should find them on YouTube.... and then listen to the orchestral versions. This album blew me away! I'm sorry, but I can't remember who recommended the album to me but it's one of the finest orchestral albums in my collection!

I'll try to re-upload the program where I featured some of the music on my show!

-Erik-

If you like that one, may I recommend this: I love it even more than Symphonic Shades.
    •  
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

The number 3?

-Erik-

More simple than that.

MELODY !!!!!

Plus the fact that Goldenthal in that mode always blows me away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: MW3 - Brian Tyler

So... on the first listening, it sounds like an RC score, but with more orchestral layering, like an orchestral Crysis 2 crossed with Modern Warfare 2 and filtered through the sensibilities of Brian Tyler.
  8. lp wrote
    NP: MW3 - Brian Tyler

filtered through the sensibilities of Brian Tyler.

meaning his every exact same score, GOT IT wink