• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: War Horse - John Williams

Soooo, I decided to forgo that MW3 listening experience and find out whether War Horse will be better than Tin Tin. So far, I'm not as bored as I was during the first listen of Tin Tin. It's thematic for sure, and I'm already diggin that broad horn theme. And lots of that Americana that you would get, when Williams' in this time period. No kickass action stuff yet. Will there be any?

A couple I believe? 'No Man's Land' is one of the best cues I've heard all year. I can imagine that working very well in, what sounds like, a very sentimental film.

Not there yet. But can't wait for it. Really diggin' the dramatic writing in Pulling the Cannon. Very Arnold-esque.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

Soooo, I decided to forgo that MW3 listening experience and find out whether War Horse will be better than Tin Tin. So far, I'm not as bored as I was during the first listen of Tin Tin. It's thematic for sure, and I'm already diggin that broad horn theme. And lots of that Americana that you would get, when Williams' in this time period. No kickass action stuff yet. Will there be any?

A couple I believe? 'No Man's Land' is one of the best cues I've heard all year. I can imagine that working very well in, what sounds like, a very sentimental film.

Not there yet. But can't wait for it. Really diggin' the dramatic writing in Pulling the Cannon. Very Arnold-esque.

So No Man's Land came and went. And alas, it's too short!!!! Half the track is devoted to dissonant material before the real meaty stuff kicks in. And then it's gone.

But the remaining tracks are really nice, soft orchestral pieces that is pleasant to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Black Beauty Danny Elfman

This is my favourite score for a film about a horse.

I'm inclined to agree and to my memory no scores featuring Sarah Jessica Parker have scores that are better.

lol

I'd put The Black Stallion Returns at the top of my horsey list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I'm inclined to agree and to my memory no scores featuring Sarah Jessica Parker have scores that are better.

biggrin

Still, that's offensive to horses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut Trey Parker & Marc Shaiman

One of my favourite albums. Brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To Southall's post ( damn you Steven uhm )

Oh, I forgot about that one, that's a superb Delerue score. Another one I love is David Whitaker's RUN WILD, RUN FREE but hardly anyone besides myself has heard it. Poledouris's AMANDA is a very pleasant listen too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin

Still, that's offensive to horses.

Horses are more fanciable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Artist - Ludovic Bource

I probably butchered this poor man's name on my show but even if his name was Snot Face Poopy Mouth this score will still go down as one of the most impressive written this year. For those that love the sound of Golden Age scores then this one is for you. It's old fashioned. And by old fashioned I mean OLD FASHIONED. This score would not be out of place in a 50's melodrama! Gerhardt would have included this in his Classic Film Series in a heartbeat!

Brilliant!

Up Next: The equally brilliant Fireflies in the Garden by Jane Antonia Cornish! This year is shaping up to be a really good one!

-Erik-

Absolutely brilliant!!!! Glad you agree.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

So No Man's Land came and went. And alas, it's too short!!!! Half the track is devoted to dissonant material before the real meaty stuff kicks in. And then it's gone.

But the remaining tracks are really nice, soft orchestral pieces that is pleasant to listen to.

Love it. It's old-fashioned vintage Williams at his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Hey Glorieux Bros., did you guys read my latest entry in the 'weird dreams' topic? Both of you popped up in a John Williams-related dream of mine a couple of nights ago! biggrin

They did and they are obviously ignoring the mad man (you).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    ( damn you Steven uhm )

Yeah, sorry.
    Fucking annoying when that happens.

*spend ages typing reply*
    *post it*

cheesy

....uhm

angry

"Son of a bitch..."

Or something like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Love it [War Horse]. It's old-fashioned vintage Williams at his best.

Maybe not at his best, but close enough. Overly sentimental and very Americana... I love it too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Poltergeist - J Goldsmith

Excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Love it [War Horse]. It's old-fashioned vintage Williams at his best.

Maybe not at his best, but close enough. Overly sentimental and very Americana... I love it too!

Exactly, can't get wrong with overly sentimental Williams here beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Excellent!

I approve of this post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Excellent!

I approve of this post.

Me too.
  1. Didn't really like War Horse, The Artist or Fireflies In The Garden. Or The Ides of March.

Really enjoyed Puss In Boots though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmmmmm.....
  2. The Williams' is too Americana, the Cornish is just not interesting and the Bource is too much of the 20s (if I remember). Desplat's score has an interesting motif but it is just not that interesting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hmmmmm.....

Double huuuuum. The four Alan listed are some of the strongest scores written this year!

As for Puss In Boots... at least he got that right! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. It is that personal battle between musical quality and personal preference.
  4. Steven wrote
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek Generations Dennis McCarthy

One of the least talked about scores to one of the most talked about franchises. A shame really, I think this score deserves much more recognition than it might have done in the past.

I think this might actually be the first score I ever listened to outside its respective film? Nostalgia aside, this is still a very very good score. Were this released today, we'd all be singing its praises for having themes and melody!

I'm just gonna quote this before it drowns in the tidal wave of quoting going on at the moment...

Seconded.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Southall wrote

Excellent!

Now THIS is what horror music should sound like. Chills to the max, and melodies to die for.

Jerry, when you wrote this one, you made damn sure to please little old me, and then some!!!!!! beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    Hey Glorieux Bros., did you guys read my latest entry in the 'weird dreams' topic? Both of you popped up in a John Williams-related dream of mine a couple of nights ago! biggrin

THOR is having dreams, and we're in it????? shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

THOR is having dreams, and we're in it????? shocked

I just hope that when I dream tonight, Thor will be in it, and that he changes into his sister wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Of course. They say dreams only last about seven seconds anyway.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. justin boggan wrote
    Of course. They say dreams only last about seven seconds anyway.

really? I only counted 5 with me
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. No end credits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

Excellent!

Now THIS is what horror music should sound like. Chills to the max, and melodies to die for.

But then again you can get some incredibly effective horror scores WITHOUT any melody whatsoever! It depends what the film called for. Altered States isn't a horror film per se but it's scary as f__k without any hint of melody at all.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

Love it. It's old-fashioned vintage Williams at his best.

It's old fashioned vintage williams...yes. It reminds me when Williams didn't use Woodwinds all the time that he is doing in the last decade. But I find "war horse" a really bland album. Always it seems it's going to take off but it never happen. Even the "homecomming" track is dissapointing. (if good and it reminds me the times of Far and Away and The patriot).

I still prefer Tintin over War Horse, wich at least has a much richer and complex orchestratoins and a great dosis of energy.

Anyway, great to hear Williams sound again. He is the BEST.

PS: judging for the music, it seems War Horse will be a bland movie too. I cross my fingers.