• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. JEEPERS CREEPERS 2 - BENNETT SALVAY

vomit

Oh wait, what I meant was:

vomit vomit

Darn, made another mistake:

vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit

That's more like it.

In other words, I absolutely loathe this, and I find it hilarious this is being labeled as music, right there on the cover !!!! confused shocked rolleyes
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011
    Really? I actually thinks it's quite good. Or was it the first one, I don't know anymore. Erik will defend this score much better however! smile
    Kazoo
  2. Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun

Very good game score, fully orchestral and exciting. Also referring to a different Williams style (later style) than Giacchino did with some Goldsmith and JNH references added to it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    JEEPERS CREEPERS 2 - BENNETT SALVAY

vomit

In other words, I absolutely loathe this, and I find it hilarious this is being labeled as music, right there on the cover !!!! confused shocked rolleyes

S-E-R-I-O-U-S-L-Y?!?!?!?!?
    shocked

IMO, it's a brilliant horror/thriller/action score. How can you not LOVE "The Big Battle." Just listen to those horns soar! Shawn Murphy's recording is incredible! There's tons of big scares, eerie suspense and perfect atmosphere!

Great score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In the Electric Mist - Marc O'Beltrami

One of his best, I'd say.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

vomit

shocked

IMO, it's a brilliant horror/thriller/action score. How can you not LOVE "The Big Battle." Just listen to those horns soar! Shawn Murphy's recording is incredible! There's tons of big scares, eerie suspense and perfect atmosphere!

Great score!

-Erik-

The reason I hate this is there isn't a single moment that builds to something memorable, it's basically a wall of sound, without any consistency, and if there's anything I need in my music, it's something consistent. This just sounds like a bunch of people improvising on their instrument, creating a series of sounds or small motifs going nowhere. This doesn't even create a certain mood, it just clash-boom-bang noise. Never to be listened to again.

And excuse the overuse of that emoticon, I just hadn't used it in a while and this seemed like a good opportunity. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, PART I (Alexandre Desplat)

Still 'meh'.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Obliviate, Snape To Malfoy Manor, Sky Battle, At The Burrow, The Will, Death Eaters, Detonators, Ron Leaves, My Love Is Always Here, Lovegood and Farewell To Dobby are much more than that. Especially with the way that Desplat develop those themes (especially the Obliviate, Dumbledore themes) according to the story, and the ethnic instruments he use.

NP: War Horse - John Williams

Very beautiful. I love the flute solos and the themes. My favorite is still The Homecoming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    yonythemoony wrote
    Obliviate, Sky Battle, At The Burrow, My Love Is Always Here, Lovegood and Farewell To Dobby are much more than that. Especially with the way that Desplat develop those themes according to the story, and the ethnic instruments he use.

I hear what you're saying, but I can't hear it in the music itself. Just a bunch of heavy ostinatos (as usual with Desplat's action films) with the occasional, bland textures that don't seem to go anywhere. I'm probably missing something, but that guy simply doesn't connect to me.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. There's a lot going on. In FSM there's a breakdown. Also, the complete demos has much more develop of themes which we're cut from the movie and CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, PART I (Alexandre Desplat)

Still 'meh'.

Yup! It's even worse than meh. It's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.... suicide

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. The Wolfman - Danny Elfman

I'm not sure how I feel about this score; on the one hand, it's Elfman; on the other hand, the album is super long for just one theme.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Wolfman - Danny Elfman

I'm not sure how I feel about this score; on the one hand, it's Elfman; on the other hand, the album is super long for just one theme.

It's a bit too bombastic for my taste, but I love the slavic/Kilar-inspired atmosphere.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    BobdH wrote
    Or Hieroglyph Nightmare? Always thought that was the third additional track. Unless you got the version where Chariot Race is split in 2.

That was never released officially, and can only be found on one of HGW's promo.
  7. NP: Les Corps Impatients - Alexandre Desplat

A very lush piece (17 minutes), just a string orchestra, cello and violin solos and celesta.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

One of my favourite JNH scores.

By the way, the little triumphant moment at 3:39 in You Wanna Do This? is one of the most Goldsmithian phrases I've ever heard outside of the work of the man himself.

cool
  8. That score needs an expanded release. There was like 10 minutes of good music from the film cut in the commercial release.
  9. yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Les Corps Impatients - Alexandre Desplat

A very lush piece (17 minutes), just a string orchestra, cello and violin solos and celesta.

Oooh. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
  10. I know. It's very rare.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited
    NP: THE GREEN MILE - THOMAS NEWMAN

One of my favourite Newman scores. It works amazingly in the film, which incidentally, is also one of my favourites. It almost seems like Newman's signature style was invented for this film - his trademark sound design punctuated by sparse instrumentation. Goosebump-inducing stuff. Love it.
  11. I'll have to revisit that one. I picked it up from a bargain bin several years ago and was pretty bored by it even after repeated listens. It's been a long time. I wonder if my opinion will have changed.

NP: War Horse - John Williams

This thanks to Erik, via Cinematicsound.net.
  12. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Les Corps Impatients - Alexandre Desplat

Oooh. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

It's more 'austere' than 'lush' in my opinion, but still 'romantic'. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

vomit

shocked

Great score!

-Erik-

Love it too! Do you like listening to horror music in general, dt?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Wolfman - Danny Elfman

It's a bit too bombastic for my taste, but I love the slavic/Kilar-inspired atmosphere.

Spot-on Thor , spot on !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: A Single Man - Korzeniowski

I started the day off quietly with this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Hmm... theme of the day?

First Stillness of the Mind
    Then Mind Heist
    And now A Beautiful Mind
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I don't mind that list at all Bregje! wink
  13. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

vomit

shocked

Great score!

-Erik-

Love it too! Do you like listening to horror music in general, dt?

Alien, Alien 3, The Omen, The Final Conflict, Poltergeist, The Fury, Sphere, In Dreams, Bram Stoker's Dracula to name but a few.

All in a much higher league than JC 2, I never want to listen to that waste of time again.
  14. BACK TO THE FUTURE PART III - ALAN SILVESTRI

This is a perfect example where the film order of cues works better than what appeared on album. So I put all the 3 train cues at the end for the most enjoyable finale since Part 1. This is the Silvestri I grew up with and it sounds just as great as it did 20 years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Horse Whisperer - Thomas Newman

This is really beautiful... both quiet and active parts.
    Now listening to The Rhythm of the Horse and love
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp