• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011
    NP: My Full collection on shuffle. That's almost 1500 hours worth if music I get to sample a little bit of here and there.

So far I have bounced between The Ron Jones Project - Star Trek TNG (Ron Jones), Predator 2 (Silvestri), The Day the Earth Stood Still (Herrmann), The Constant Gardner (Iglesias), Doctor Who (Murray Gold), Bless The Child (Young) and Bobby Jones: Strole of Genius (Horner).

I usually prefer the cohesion of listening to an album in full, but shuffling brings up so many great scores that I seem to forget to go back to.

Next up is Twilight (Carter Burwell). Fun day!

Oh, and let me just quickly add that this place is a true sanctuary of adult conversation and genuine film music appreciation and discussion. A genuine respite from a soul weary of childish words an actions on that 'other' site.

Now Playing: Abduction of the Bakuba Boy; The Skulls (from White Witch Doctor - Herrmann)
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011 edited
    That can be interesting sometimes. I have more than 40 days(!) worth of continous music in my collection, so you never know what you're gonna get. smile

Oh, and let me just quickly add that this place is a true sanctuary of adult conversation and genuine film music appreciation and discussion. A genuine respite from a soul weary of childish words an actions on that 'other' site.

Glad you say that. I couldn't agree more. This has been my favourite film music place on the internet for the last 4-5 years or so, and that's saying much since I've been a regular at FSM since 1997.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. "I couldn't agree"? Have you not missed something Thor?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    I have more than 40 days(!) worth of continous music in my collection

I have 49 days....bwahaha wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011
    163.3 days.... shhhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. THE PORTRAIT OF A LADY - WOJCIECH KILAR

Incredibly gorgeous haunting melodies from my number one polish composer.love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011
    NP: Puss in Boots - Fake John Powell

Good score. It's absolutely amazing how much Henry Jackman's music sounds like a John Powell creation at certain points. Enjoyable album, for sure, if not extremely derivative.
  3. Talking about "fake" composers:

NP: Transformers: Dark of The Moon - Jeff Broadbent

Steve Jablonsky-like here. Broadbent is using all the familiar devices of the film scores, jumbled them about and laid them out for this game score. The "Multiplayer Theme" in particular is Jablonsky's theme...but not quite...but just enough to make you think of the film music.

When all is said and done, it's bold brash and loud. All the things a Transformers score should be.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. lp wrote

Good score. It's absolutely amazing how much Henry Jackman's music sounds like a John Powell creation at certain points. Enjoyable album, for sure, if not extremely derivative.

Not so amazing if you take into account that Jackman has done some ghostwriting on recent scores, including How to Train Your Dragon.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU - THOMAS NEWMAN

There's only a handful of cues that I like to listen to and would readily insert into a Newman compilation, but the good stuff really is good - classic Newman, IMO.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    No you are right on this one and he has showed glimpses of that writing but I see it very difficult to actually happen. He gets smaller and smaller assignments as times go by and nowadays most directors go for the "new" zimmeresque rc-ish / Brian Tyler action kind of thing. If it was 2011, I think the chances of Troy by Yared happening even accidentally would be closer to zero now.

Yeah, the problem with that style of action music is that Hans Zimmer is the only composer who can do that style well. Everyone else sounds like a mere imitator.
  6. I've been listening to a couple scores from this year that I've only just been able to listen to.

TINTIN - John Williams

It's so nice to hear something new from Williams, even though it doesn't have one of those instantly famous themes. I still think it has a really good theme (that whole last track - you can't say that's not a theme). That is a great, great track, by the way.

RIO - John Powell

A lot of these tracks are a little less fun than some of Powell's other recent scores. However, there are still some great tracks in here. I LOVE "Morning Routine." It has that light breezy fun Powell sound in spades. "Chained Chase" is super fun, with tons of that Brazillian sound I was hoping to find lots of in this score. It isn't as Brazillian-y as I had hoped, but this track certainly is. And the last two tracks, "Rio Airport" and "Flying" are top drawer Powell - and some of the best music I've heard from this year. MARS NEEDS MOMS is the stronger album of the two, but this score has some great stuff, not to be missed!
  7. THE PRINCE OF EGYPT - HANS ZIMMER & STEPHEN SCHWARTZ

Including the three cues not on the official album, this will never be anything less than 5 stars in my book. Pure bliss with equally strong score and songs (those that feature in the film).

Somehow I have serious doubts he'll ever write something like this again. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011 edited
    christopher wrote
    I've been listening to a couple scores from this year that I've only just been able to listen to.

TINTIN - John Williams

It's so nice to hear something new from Williams, even though it doesn't have one of those instantly famous themes. I still think it has a really good theme (that whole last track - you can't say that's not a theme). That is a great, great track, by the way.

Been more than a week I listened to it. I'll return to it soon enough, it's fun all the way. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote

Not so amazing if you take into account that Jackman has done some ghostwriting on recent scores, including How to Train Your Dragon.

Sure, sure, but I've always considered Powell's style to be very unique and somewhat inimitable. Jackman's work is really on point but you still get the idea that it was hugely influenced by the temp score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE PRINCE OF EGYPT - HANS ZIMMER & STEPHEN SCHWARTZ

Including the three cues not on the official album, this will never be anything less than 5 stars in my book. Pure bliss with equally strong score and songs (those that feature in the film).

Yeah, I agree. Great score, great music, good album. This is a score that deserve a full complete release.
  8. Star Trek: Nemesis Goldsmith

I find this incredibly addictive, love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER (Basil Poledouris)

Played this yet, Bregt? It's greeeeat!
    I am extremely serious.
  9. DreamTheater wrote

you said it. I adore those songs. But the score by Zimmer is his crowning jewel. That last track (that wasn't used in the film) is a stunner pure sang
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote

Sure, sure, but I've always considered Powell's style to be very unique and somewhat inimitable. Jackman's work is really on point but you still get the idea that it was hugely influenced by the temp score.

He's equally good so the pun isn't that fun.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    NP: QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER (Basil Poledouris)

Played this yet, Bregt? It's greeeeat!

Yup, when Jordi and I where driving to Ypres actually. We were really amazed by how much fun it was. What a fantastic main theme. Poledouris all over it, and the the banjo (?) is absolutely great. punk
    Kazoo
  10. DreamTheater wrote

Adore this album, both songs and score. I have 'Chariot Race' and 'It is Only Beginning...' from the selections promo cd (Picked it up for 97cents in Maine a couple months ago, result!), but what is the third track you refer to?
  11. THE PRINCE OF EGYPT - HANS ZIMMER & STEPHEN SCHWARTZ

Bliss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Boom! - John Barry

Very unusual score but I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    John Chambers wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Adore this album, both songs and score. I have 'Chariot Race' and 'It is Only Beginning...' from the selections promo cd (Picked it up for 97cents in Maine a couple months ago, result!), but what is the third track you refer to?

Well, I think he's also referring to the latter half of the Chariot Race track, which does contain the climatic ending cue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Boom! - John Barry

Very unusual score but I like it.

Unusual, strange even, I love it! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. What I've listened to since the start of the month:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Alan Silvestri

The noir jazz bits are very nice to listen to but the mickey mouse material ruins the album as a whole.

The Core - Christopher Young

Easily worth the $30 at Intrada, the score has epic action/adventure orchestrations.

Fly Away Home - Mark Isham

One of his best family movie scores.

A Fish Called Wanda - John Du Prez

An extremely enjoyable comedy caper score from the 1980s, with a pleasing love theme.

The Last Run - Jerry Goldsmith

Another crime caper score, more serious in tone than the one listed above

Cocoon - James Horner

An early dramatic highlight in Horner's career.

In Time - Craig Armstrong

It's nice to hear Armstrong working again, but there are better scores by him out there

Timeline - Jerry Goldsmith

A epilogue culmination of every Goldsmith action/adventure score of the late 1990s/early 2000s in one.

Remember the Titans - Trevor Rabin

Cheesy uplifting MV styled sports score. If that's your thing, you'll enjoy it.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  13. lp wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Well, I think he's also referring to the latter half of the Chariot Race track, which does contain the climatic ending cue.

Ah, okay, thanks for the info.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011 edited
    Or Hieroglyph Nightmare? Always thought that was the third additional track. Unless you got the version where Chariot Race is split in 2.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GOLDEN CHILD - John Barry

One of the years very best and very surprising releases. I like Michel Colombier's score too but it doesn't get anywhere near as much play as Barry's score for the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt