• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Is there so little interest in the score for Dredd that no-one has made any comment?

Why could that be? Not a 'major' composer, not being extreme in my comments one way or another? I am curious.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012 edited
    Ive listened to the clips and the score is everything that's wrong with the sensibilities of what a modern audience perceives to want to hear in a score. I hope that makes sense. If got a little buzz going on and I wanted to say something more than "it's shit!"

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012
    ^
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. NP: Tron: Legacy - Daft Punk

There is not much more I can add to what has already been said about this. But I really like the tone of the sound on this score. Not much use of brash-sounding synths.

How synths sound is always a big thing for me in scores as well as 'pop music'. Vangelis' music has many listenable tunes but I was always put off by many of his synth choices. Too brash-sounding. Jean-Michel Jarre's choice of synths was always much more pleasant to my ears.

And Daft Punk's synth choices, as well as their melding of these synths with orchestral sounds makes for an excellent album.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is there so little interest in the score for Dredd that no-one has made any comment?

Why could that be? Not a 'major' composer, not being extreme in my comments one way or another? I am curious.

Comments? Score?
    I think I missed something. Is this film out yet?
    It's another take on Judge Dredd, right?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I did enjoy The Avengers, certainly, as superior popcorn fare, but I agree with D.: there's nothing in there on any 'deeper' level, psychologically, emotionally, narratively or relationshipwise.

It's a good super hero flick.
    That's it.

It's the best super hero flick I've ever seen.

Not even close.

Hmmm?

THE DARK KNIGHT, liked it but dare I say I also found it tedious, watching it again only recently I found it boring at times but would spark into life every now and then, especially when Heath Ledger is on screen. Bale growling away as Batman irritated me also plus the score is shit.

THE WATCHMEN, I think we're both in agreement that this was a very good and criminally underrated adaptation of the graphic novel. Great cast and exceptionally well realised.

SUPERMAN, this is the MAIN contender for best superhero movie, again a brilliant cast, a score that is so far beyond all other superhero scores, the film also has something lacking in most others and that is a BIG HEART.

Superman.... not a fan of the movie. It's really good movie. But it's not a great one for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    My thoughts on the matter:

-Black Widow and Hawkeye's relationship was very well scripted and developed considering it was a nearly meaningless sideshow in a film that's not primarily about them.

-Dialogue-driven scenes like the verbal showdown between Loki and Black Widow are what make the film stand out on a character-development level. They are tight, well-written (unless you just don't get Whedon's unique way of writing, which is fine, I know its not for everyone) and honestly, in how many action movies do you get to see 3-5 minutes of the villain and a minor female character pouring out their souls to each other? Its the little things.

-I thought this film did a better job of developing Bruce Banner/Hulk's character than either of the previous two actual Hulk films. In those, he was just Generic Sad Angsty Man. In this one, he was actually interesting. Ruffalo's acting was brilliant, the nude scene as well as the "puny god" scene were priceless humor, and its rare to see more character insight/development accomplished with one line of dialogue than his "I'm always angry" moment.

I could keep going but you get the idea. And I don't like Iron Man much either. I get the feeling Whedon would not have chosen to make him such a focal point if he'd had full control of the creative process from the beginning, but he didn't, he was stuck with the story Marvel had already outlined. That won't be the case for the sequel, so the sequel should be loads better story-wise. As it was, I thought Whedon did a good job making Iron Man seem less of an annoying jerk than in the two actual Iron Man films.

Agreed.

The movie wasn't a great one, but it was an extremely enjoyable movie. Those moments were standout ones for me. And Joss made the Stark/Iron Man character worked for the movie. He was redeemed in this movie through his actions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is there so little interest in the score for Dredd that no-one has made any comment?

I thought only sound clips was available...right?
  3. Some less scrupolous people got it by other means.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    North By Northwest - Bernard Herrmann

The perfect Herrmann/Hitchcock score finally sounds terrific with this release from Intrada!
    You can hear tape hiss in some cues but that's the era it came from.
    The music itself is such a fun ride with many twists and turns!
    I love many of Herrmann's scores but this has always been my personal favorite! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    RE: The Avengers

Funny I read this discussion now. Because my son said yesterday, after seeing the Avengers DVD cover:
    "Actually The Avengers is Iron Man 2 1/2"
    tongue
  4. justin boggan wrote
    Some less scrupolous people got it by other means.

Or sent to them for reviewing purposes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hadn't seen your comments in this thread Alan.

justin boggan wrote

rolleyes
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote

Funny I read this discussion now. Because my son said yesterday, after seeing the Avengers DVD cover:
    tongue

Yeap smile My thoughts.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    What relationships? It was an IRON MAN 3 movie with the others just running behind him.

I loved THE AVENGERS, I honestly can't remember the last time I had so much fun watching a movie. Iron Man ( and THE HULK ) did steal the show but I thought all the characters got a good look in.

p.s. it most definitely WASN'T an IRON MAN 3 movie tongue

...and I'm good at being repetitive too D tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Bregje wrote

tongue

Yeap smile My thoughts.

It's also Captain American 1 1/2, Thor 2, Black Widow 1, The Hulk Redux, etc. Oh wait, actually, it's The Avengers 1.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Its actually Black Widow 0.4
    Iron Man 2 was Black Widow 0.2 :P

You know I'm actually surprised there's not already a Black Widow standalone film in the works. It's not like Scarlett Johanson is not capable of playing a lead female role.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Bregje wrote

tongue

Yeap smile My thoughts.

It's also Captain American 1 1/2, Thor 2, Black Widow 1, The Hulk Redux, etc. Oh wait, actually, it's The Avengers 1.

-Erik-

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Bregt wrote
    Hadn't seen your comments in this thread Alan.

justin boggan wrote

rolleyes

Don't look at me. Wasn't me. I don't even want to hear it!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012 edited
    NP: The Shadow - Jerry Goldsmith

I love this score. The thematic materials are awesome. I don't know if Jerry's work is better than what he did for Supergirl, but I'm certainly enjoying it more than I did Supergirl.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012
    yeah
    So agreed!
    I need to revisit this score soon. It's been yonks since I heard it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. I think that I need to take a listen to The Shadow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Supergirl > The Shadow

-Erik-
  7. Supergirl is a rather excellent score!
  8. I'm juggling The Perfect Storm and The Amazing Spider Man right now. Maybe it's just me, but the two are very similar.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Supergirl is a rather excellent score!

It is! The original album is better though, the Silva is bloated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    False!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sort of. There are some very fine tracks on the Silva release not contained in the original but it's a chore to listen to the whole album. FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012 edited
    NOT A FACT! It's a brilliant album from start to finish! FACT!! <-- That's right. TWO exclamation points! (sorry, forgot the rule on how many exclamation points it takes to make something an indisputable fact.)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My FACT is more fact than your fact. tongue

FACT!!!