• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm still unable to find most of that discussion. confused

We all are.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I blocked Facebook and it's cookies probably two years ago.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Demetris wrote

Well i beg to differ; read, if you want, all the excellent points made in facebook by Robert Folk, a member of the Academy.

One of over 6000 members. In other words: it's still just someone's opinion.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  3. Good thoughts Mark.

Music certainly takes the foreground in GRAVITY. Few recent films have asked as much of their music as GRAVITY.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Music certainly takes the foreground in GRAVITY. Few recent films have asked as much of their music as GRAVITY.

I think it's no coincidence that both Gravity and The Artist both have sound mixes that place their score in a very prominent position, and that both scores went on to win Oscars. When practically the only thing you're hearing in the film is the score, it's easy for Academy members to take note of it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Say what you will about Gravity but it certainly was not a "generic drone"!

Well i beg to differ; read, if you want, all the excellent points made in facebook by Robert Folk, a member of the Academy.

Much though I like his music, I don't think he comes across particularly well in that discussion. Most of his dislike seems to come form the fact that it doesn't sound like John Williams. Generic drone or not (obviously it isn't) I don't suppose many people would seriously suggest that what Gravity needed was a Star Wars-like score. The only other person I've seen suggest it was Justin Boggan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    The only other person I've seen suggest it was Justin Boggan.

A Justin Boggan Gravity score... now THAT would be something else.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would pay to see that. (And then I would get a refund.)
  5. I never suggested John Williams score it. You must have me confused with somebody else who rightfully realized that film needed another composer.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Nope. Since Vangelis got associated with COSMOS and Eno did FOR ALL MANKIND nothing conveys the nature of space (real space, not some fairy tale place) better then electronica. Therefore this score was perfect.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    https://www.facebook.com/robert.folk.35?fref=ts
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Nope. Since Vangelis got associated with COSMOS and Eno did FOR ALL MANKIND nothing conveys the nature of space (real space, not some fairy tale place) better then electronica. Therefore this score was perfect.

V.

Nonsense! There are many, many orchestral examples.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Nope. Since Vangelis got associated with COSMOS and Eno did FOR ALL MANKIND nothing conveys the nature of space (real space, not some fairy tale place) better then electronica. Therefore this score was perfect.

V.

Nonsense! There are many, many orchestral examples.

Well, I associate space exploration, space travel and astrophysics with ambient electronic music. Again: I am not talking science fiction here. And I don't regard Gravity as scifi. In my youth there was some domestic series about astrophysics that opend with Klaus Schulze's "Stardancer II" and another science show used Kraftwerk's "Spacelab". Obviously I am not the only one drawing that connection: The planetarium in Bochum (western Germany) used to run a show featuring music by Tangerine Dream. Today that show features music from Jarre's "Aero" album.
    OK, they sometimes use "The Planets" or "Zarathustra" or "Lux eterna", the latter two only because of their connection to 2001. But that's about it.
  8. Both approaches can and have certainly worked; I don't think it's wise to say one or the other is better suited.
  9. That's why I said, that I associate such music with science. And that's why Price's score worked so well for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014 edited
    It's how it's perceived by the individual.

Orchestral music doesn't need to be from sci-fi to conjure outer space, Bernard Herrmann's VERTIGO has been used numerous times to convey cosmic realms in more than one documentary I've seen as has Vaughan Williams Symphony Antartica.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. VERTIGO, indeed? Because zero gravity induces vertigo? I'll have to listen to that score again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Goddamnit if i read Gravity once again biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    We really need to assess the gravity of the situation.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. Gravy tea!
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
  12. Demetris wrote
    Goddamnit if i read Gravity once again biggrin

Skyfall.
  13. James Horner
  14. Skyfall

Oh darn, someone already did that.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  15. Philip Glass.
  16. Philip Glass.
    Philip Glass.
    Philip Glass.
    Philip Glass.
    Philip Glass.
    Philip Glass.
    Philip Glass.
    Philip Glass.
    Philip Glass.
    Philip Glass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2014
    Hans Zimmer.
  17. Thomas Wanker
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014
    Chris P. Bacon
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014
    New album at last! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J41 … lmusrep-20