• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. sdtom wrote
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/l … 1894-1979/

This is the third review in the Gerhardt series and a good one.
    Thomas

Interesting read Tom. If I were to go for the Lost Horizon music I would choose to divide it up into the 6 individual tracks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011
    Understand. They tried to give it a concert hall flavor which I like because of the classical music I listen to. Erik is in your corner and he did split it up. The Dolby surround really only sounds good if you have that system which I don't.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  2. It is good that the technology is available today for us to be able to play with the music and arrange it in ways we prefer. Though I'm sure that there are many in the business who would wish that this was not the case.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It is good that the technology is available today for us to be able to play with the music and arrange it in ways we prefer. Though I'm sure that there are many in the business who would wish that this was not the case.

agree
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Horner=2775 posts
    Tiomkin=34

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    rolleyes
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011
    I always wonder if there wasn't a second Tiomkin in the works for Gerhardt. Some key material was missing.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Gerhardt was planning many more albums... Alex North, Elmer Bernstein, etc.

As for stuff missing... I'm glad that Gerhardt didn't present the obvious. That's what makes the Herrmann recording so spectacular. White Witch Doctor over stuff like Vertigo and Psycho? A ballsy decision which, IMHO, paid off. While more Tiomkin, Waxman, Herrmann, Steiner would be most welcome I am disaapointed that he never did get around to recording those North and Bernstein albums. That being said, isn't it fantastic that we got a Lee Holdridge album? Imagine what Gerhardt could have done with the likes of Goldsmith, Horner, Mancini, Barry, etc.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Of course I say what I do about Tiomkin because of the Postal Service CD release which includes The Thing suite.
    Thomas smile
  3. The Thing From Another World would be a good re-recording to hear. I have the FSM original and it is not one of my better-sounding film scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Postal Service CD wasn't collectible in fact SAE had them for a very attractive price at one time so I would guess it wouldn't be too hard to find. If you can't I could help you.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That disc also has the unedited extended version of The Fountainhead featuring Gerhardt's solo piano work which is unbeatable!

-Erik-
  4. Ah, I remember what that Postal Service CD is. I remember seeing it at SAE when it came out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If you can find it for a good price... it was initially listed for $9.99 brand new... pick it up.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011 edited
    For Tom ...and anyone else interested.

edit : Fixed! biggrin

with thanks to Zooba at FSM for bringing this to my notice. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
    That was a nice Julie London version of absolutely classic Hefti. I had to laugh at the how it would have been a hit in the 50's pretty hard to do considering Harlow had not come out yet.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For Tom Part II ...and anyone else interested?

with thanks to Archie Watt at FSM who brought this to my notice. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    If you can find it for a good price... it was initially listed for $9.99 brand new... pick it up.

-Erik-

At one point SAE was offering it for $3.00 and they were having a hard time getting rid of the copies they bought on closeout from the UPS. Definitely one worth getting for sure.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    That was a nice Julie London version of absolutely classic Hefti. I had to laugh at the how it would have been a hit in the 50's pretty hard to do considering Harlow had not come out yet.
    Tom smile

I 100% agree with you Tom, it's a gorgeous song and I'm glad you enjoyed hearing it again but, BIG but, I put the WRONG url up, watch it again Tom, after all, this is the TIOMKIN thread, not Neal Hefti/Julie London wink

p.s. If you look in FSM off Topic you'll see that that url was put in my thread about great jazz tracks/vocals etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011
    Will do Tim
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011
    It's probably slipped to page 2 by now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    Oh-hoh-HO!
    This sounds GREAT!

The new rerecording of Fall Of The Roman Empire!
    Wasn't sure I would get this one (I have the original recording, which is really quite good!), but this sounds magnificent! And so cheap too!

So yeah, this one is definitely ordered!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Oh-hoh-HO!
    This sounds GREAT!

The new rerecording of Fall Of The Roman Empire!
    Wasn't sure I would get this one (I have the original recording, which is really quite good!), but this sounds magnificent! And so cheap too!

So yeah, this one is definitely ordered!

One of my favourite Tiomkin scores, this is a must for me too!
  5. Tiomkin is one of the composers whose music I find it difficult to truly like. I've had a look at the video(s) available for The Fall of The Roman Empire and, as usual, it seems to be very well played. But I can't say that I really like it that much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011 edited
    Tiomkin IS a bit of an acquired taste: he combines the wild Romanticism and the very harsh avant-garde tones of his musical contemporaries/predecessors into a very hectic mix. I have to say that I can't always hack it either....but this -like his The Alamo- REALLY seems to be worth the effort (although the latter is a lot less rough, musically).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. I am usually attracted to the more difficult listens: I think of Spartacus and Dragonslayer when I write this.

I do have very little experience with this score and have only heard the occasional track. Maybe if more samples appear as the release date draws closer I will get a better feel for the breadth of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The release date is NOW. I've just ordered it!
  7. Martijn wrote
    The release date is NOW. I've just ordered it!

Release date is listed as 18th October on the page you linked to above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tiomkin is one of the composers whose music I find it difficult to truly like. I've had a look at the video(s) available for The Fall of The Roman Empire and, as usual, it seems to be very well played. But I can't say that I really like it that much.

That eliminates a lot of fine scores such as Lost Horizon, The Big Sky, and The Guns of Navarone
    Tom
  8. sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tiomkin is one of the composers whose music I find it difficult to truly like. I've had a look at the video(s) available for The Fall of The Roman Empire and, as usual, it seems to be very well played. But I can't say that I really like it that much.

That eliminates a lot of fine scores such as Lost Horizon, The Big Sky, and The Guns of Navarone
    Tom

Not necessarily Tom. I have all three of these and I listen to them occasionally. There are aspects to these scores that I do like, particularly The Guns of Navarone. The Big Sky is an interesting listen more than an enjoyable one. I just wonder that, in these times where priorities need to be made, a lot of scores like Tiomkin's The Fall of The Roman Empire (that I would probably have purchased when things were better) get left behind. I would rather try and find something I enjoy more from a lesser (less well-known that is) composer.