• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013
    True. I was hoping to spend the Saturday with SOMEONE (since it's Saturday, after all) -- even though Vienna isn't known for its buzzing nightlife. I thought maybe the main gang was in London, but I'm curious to know who spends it in Vienna instead.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013
    I have a friend who went to Vienna not too long ago, will ask him if it's worth staying longer for.. I'm not sure it's such a party town either. biggrin
  1. I can only speak for myself (not for Bregt though I'll have to sort it out with him), but I'll have to leave on tuesday. We'll probably arrive on saturday or on sunday (depending on the crowd)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013
    I want to order the airplane tickets soon, and I was wondering when everyone is in town for this. I have the choice of travelling from Vienna on Saturday or Sunday. If I'm alone in Vienna and everyone is in London on Saturday, I'll go Saturday. If no one is there yet, I might just as well spend Saturday night in Vienna.

Or is it too soon to ask?

I like to plan WAY ahead.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013 edited
    I'm undecided yet for leaving on saturday or sunday so I'm awaiting any Elfman gettogether as well; I fear I will have little time to get to do anything in Vienna and might as well head for London early (to leave on tuesday). SST is planning a get together on saturday in vienna that might involve David Newman but nothing confirmed yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013
    It's a real logistics issue to put together. I haven't ordered anything yet, since one thing is dependent on the other.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013
    We don't know yet either. Saturday or Sunday I think. Depends on what you all, and Jordi and Marcel decide.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013
    Well, since Elfman is not coming to Ghent, I think I want to be in London on Saturday!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cool. I haven't ordered any flights or hotels yet, so if you're all coming to London on Saturday, I might fly out then.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    Yey! I'd almost forgotten I have to order tickets and hotel room and stuff too. cheesy Should we stay at the same hotel, Thor? You could be my city guide. I've never been to London and am sure to get lost very very easily. I wonder if I'll even find my way out of the airport.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PlingKong wrote
    Yey! I'd almost forgotten I have to order tickets and hotel room and stuff too. cheesy Should we stay at the same hotel, Thor? You could be my city guide. I've never been to London and am sure to get lost very very easily. I wonder if I'll even find my way out of the airport.

Sure, we'll do that.

I have really postponed the organizing of both of these trips (Vienna and London) untill I've finished my exams on June 6th. But if I get some downtime before then, I might book a few things already.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Bregt wrote
    Well, since Elfman is not coming to Ghent, I think I want to be in London on Saturday!

so, we'll better start checking then, but we'll see each other soon, so a good opportunity to do that then
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2013 edited
    Hmmm....I'm having trouble finding a reasonable hotel in the Soho area -- both at hotels.com and booking.com. I have a max limit of about $300 for three nights.

Perhaps we need to look at another area -- somewhere close to the subway, at least, so we can get around?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2013
    You could try an EasyHotel, as long as you don't mind staying what is essentially a bright orange cupboard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jim Ware wrote
    You could try an EasyHotel, as long as you don't mind staying what is essentially a bright orange cupboard.

Thanks. That's £263 for a standard room with window at the Victoria hotel, and I'm sure it's possible to find a more 'regular' hotel for that price (if we look outside Soho)? But yeah -- if you go for the small room without window, it's possible (not for me, though).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Jim, what's a good area besides SOHO then? With more then the 2 bars in the RAH area. wink

I also want to go to the Natural History Museum this time!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The "RAH area", incidentally, is South Kensington. Let's stay away from there when we're not at the actual concert. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    By the way....Tim, would you be able to join us for some drinks or food for any of these days even if you're not going to the concert? I realize it's a 2-hour train ride from Bristol, so it's not exactly around the corner.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    The "RAH area", incidentally, is South Kensington. Let's stay away from there when we're not at the actual concert. smile

Absolutely! That's what I meant. I'm still shocked by the absence of bars.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, almost as annoying as waiting for a rib steak dinner that never comes! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I had a fantastic picture of you during that waiting. You could see that something was cooking!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    I had a fantastic picture of you during that waiting. You could see that something was cooking!

Well, it definitely wasn't the rib steak.

I'd like to see that picture. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Thor wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

Thanks. That's £263 for a standard room with window at the Victoria hotel, and I'm sure it's possible to find a more 'regular' hotel for that price (if we look outside Soho)? But yeah -- if you go for the small room without window, it's possible (not for me, though).

It was a mildly tongue-in-cheek suggestion! Having stayed in one once I would not do so again. I don't think you'll find much below £90-100 per night anywhere centrally.

The best location for bars would rather depend on what people would like to drink; a West End cocktail bar crawl is certainly a viable option.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jim Ware wrote
    Thor wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

It was a mildly tongue-in-cheek suggestion! Having stayed in one once I would not do so again. I don't think you'll find much below £90-100 per night anywhere centrally.

The best location for bars would rather depend on what people would like to drink; a West End cocktail bar crawl is certainly a viable option.

Beer, man, BEER!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013
    Thor wrote
    Beer, man, BEER!!

That too. In which case I'd probably avoid Soho and go further east.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPlingKong
    As long as they also have wine I'm OK. I don't understand beer. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013 edited
    I would like to do a tally:

Who of you are going to be in London on Saturday night?

I'll be returning to Oslo the day after the concert, so no one is allowed to stay behind and have a good time after I'm gone.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I want to be there on Saturday too. So an other region a good idea then. King's Cross?

Thor wrote
    I'll be returning to Oslo the day after the concert, so no one is allowed to stay behind and have a good time after I'm gone.
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013 edited
    Let me know what area you will be staying, I still need accommodations as well for london smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Slightly to the southeast of Soho is Leicester Square and Covent Garden. Also has plenty of nightlife, but I'm not sure about the prices.

A completely different alternative is Bayswater (on the other side of Hyde Park from RAH). Is more low cost and -- according to some guides I've seen -- has more pubs than the RAH area on the other side. But I don't know for sure.
    I am extremely serious.