• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2016
    PawelStroinski wrote

Come to think of it... who actually prepares concert suites anymore, like, really?

Giacchino?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2016 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Sure, when Batman is rebooted in 10 years time, he'll be eager to compose something completely original again. Along with his sidekick, who is now in music composition school.

Cha-ching... oh wait, it's not about the money.

rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Come to think of it... who actually prepares concert suites anymore, like, really?

Giacchino?

He does end title suites but doesn't write and record stuff like "Princess Leia's Theme" for the album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Ironically, I don't think Zimmer's whole "suite" thing is actually that far removed from Williams' concert arrangements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't generally like Zimmer's suite format (they're often too long, he doesn't always choose the best bits, and they don't flow as well as they do with, say, Horner or Williams), but there are exceptions. The BLACK RAIN suite on the original album is better than anything on the 'score' release. And the K2 album is brilliant. But in both cases, it's really just a combination of tracks with cross-fading rather than something composed AS a suite.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. That's not the album suites we are talking about.

Edmund is talking about Hans' first approach to a story, when he gets the script and develops a theme over 8 (Frost/Nixon) to even 40-50 minutes (Da Vinci Code/The Dark Knight Rises), to get a grasp of the film's narrative the way he envisions it. Basically, working out how to tell a story musically before he actually gets to the scene-by-scene scoring (the minutes of which is often relegated to the additional composers).

The suites are always recorded. Most popular suites, that even ended up in the film are, actually, the End Credits tracks from Beyond Rangoon and Crimson Tide. And, as it's the first musical thing written for the picture itself (though I don't know, as I haven't asked, whether he asks for the director approval of them) are sent to the editors, so they serve as temp music for the editors themselves.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That doesn't really sound like 'suites', though. More like a method of composing music for films.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What did Hans say to the second question? I mean, from what I'm aware every composer would actually say an unequivocal yes at this time.

You mean about whether there's too much music in films? He said yes, very much, and then said something odd about how 30 years ago "remember when it was just all underscore?" and then something about how he doesn't see why you wouldn't want your music to be noticed and Jerry Goldsmith said "I write music so it can be heard" (or something like that - I'm terrible at remembering these things).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What did Hans say to the second question? I mean, from what I'm aware every composer would actually say an unequivocal yes at this time.

You mean about whether there's too much music in films? He said yes, very much, and then said something odd about how 30 years ago "remember when it was just all underscore?" and then something about how he doesn't see why you wouldn't want your music to be noticed and Jerry Goldsmith said "I write music so it can be heard" (or something like that - I'm terrible at remembering these things).

That sounds like the exact opposite of what Goldsmith thought. In an interview, Goldsmith pointed out the over-reliance on music in film, saying it was a bit like "white noise": "It’s a little like living in an area that has a high degree of density of traffic noises. Your ear eventually tunes out those frequencies", he said, and that seems more in synch with his philosophy -- at least in the first couple of decades of his career.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Wasn't it the famous "if our music will be remembered and I think it will, it's because it's good" quote?
  4. I love that quote. It's quite self-congratulatory once you untangle it! biggrin

Of course, coming from a lesser composer than Jerry Goldsmith, it would come across as self-aggrandizing and pretentious, but I think we all know he earned it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Wasn't it the famous "if our music will be remembered and I think it will, it's because it's good" quote?

I don't know about your quote, but mine was from Roy Prendergast's classic book FILM MUSIC: A NEGLECTED ART (1977). The full Goldsmith quote goes:

"I think that we are trying to be a little more selective about where the music goes in a film. In the days gone by, there seems to have been a liberal sprinkling of music. My preference is that music be used as sparingly as possible. I feel that if there is a constant use of music, or too much music, it will eventually vitiate the needed moments. The music becomes like white sound. It's a little like living in an area that has a high degree of density of traffic noises. Your ear eventually tunes out those frequencies".

I'm not sure where Prendergast got the quote (he's terrible at referencing), but it must be prior to 1977. Goldsmith was usually awful at verbalizing about his artform, but that was a rather astute observation. Of course, in later years, he -- himself -- laid it on pretty thick in terms of quantity of music.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I love that quote. It's quite self-congratulatory once you untangle it! biggrin

Of course, coming from a lesser composer than Jerry Goldsmith, it would come across as self-aggrandizing and pretentious, but I think we all know he earned it.

Artists. The most insecure AND secure people. At the same time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2016
    Was able to get cheap tickets (half the price) for really nice seats for tonight's Zimmer concert in Brussels! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Damn, I'm envious. So lucky!

One of my greatest regrets this spring is that I'm unable to attend one of these concerts -- the ticket price is too steep, and I have to travel far with all the costs this entails.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    Was able to get cheap tickets (half the price) for really nice seats for tonight's Zimmer concert in Brussels! punk

Wow nice, enjoy! I'm going in about 2 weeks in Germany, let me know how it was!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    A colleague of mine went to see Zimmer at the NIA Birmingham on Tuesday. Said it was quite a show. Didn't even know he was into film music. I like him a lot more now, obviously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2016
    I will be going with a small group to the Hamburg one next Monday. I am quite scared of the concert. I hope it delivers. I had to bring ear plugs to a previous concert of him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Well, that was a cool concert!

No projections of videos or images from the films, but an enjoyable show with great light effects, atmosphere and spectacle (dancing musicians, curtains going up and down, a fake but gigantic organ, cocktails, ...). The entrance of the choir was awesome (during Madagascar), the entrance of Lebo M and the iconic vocal track was met with so much enthusiasm, the suite of Gladiator and Chevaliers De Sangreal were both great. In between some pieces Zimmer would tell a little note or story. The first half was light and varied, the second half was dark.

Combined with some selections of his older scores, where the eighties and nineties vibe filled the concert hall with electric guitars, Zimmer offered a fine mix of his career as a composer. The collaboration with so many people and friends was proven by the varied ensemble on stage: Lebo M, Nick Glennie Smith, Richard Harvey, ... What a group of people! Absolute highlight was the Inception Suite again, but I liked the one in Gent better.

As expected, this was a loud concert. Extremely loud often. Lots of finale tracks, where the climax of those pieces ended up sounding like a massive wall of noise where details get lost, and thus reducing my enjoyment of some parts. The Angels and Demons was unlistenable, and also the Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel (even though it started off nicely with that lovely theme) and The Amazing Spider-Man I didn't like at all. What I also didn't like was that so many tracks that worked towards a climax ended up with a drum and rock finale. The climax of The Thin Red Line ended up as a rock concert piece which was interchangable with the finale of Crimson Tide or Man of Steel or ... It got a bit predictable.

A rather awkward moments was when everyone got to stand up after he dedicated the Aurora piece (in the mean time being performed live) to the victims of the attacks of March 22 and for the city of Brussels. I liked that he did this and said that his band was "a world band playing for Brussels", but the standing up part feels forced to me. I've never been good in situations like this. I cringe. Not his fault though. Another awkward moment was that Zimmer said it was his first time in Belgium but quickly corrected that because he suddenly remembered he presented his first concert in Gent of all places! Or perhaps he didn't like to think about that it ever happened.

All in all, I enjoyed it for the most part. It was a film music rock concert. It represented everything that Zimmer is. A great tunesmith that brings together some very talented music to enrich his ideas and compositions for everyone to have a good time.

punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow. Thanks for the report. It didn't make me any less sad that I'm unable to attend this, but it's great with some audience insight.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He must hang out less with drummers wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. What a muppet! He was in Gent in 2000. I still got the t-shirt (literally)!
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also that standing thing, the vigil, isn't it a bit of an american thing mostly? not very much in the rest of the world's culture i think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    , a fake but gigantic organ,

so you went to a Z concert or an adult film festival? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2016
    2 and a half hours away from mine!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016
    Demetris wrote
    Also that standing thing, the vigil, isn't it a bit of an american thing mostly?

Exactly. It feels really forced and awkward which can't possibly have been the intent.
    He should -as a German- have known better.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016 edited
    Sorta related, but I remember in front of the John Williams concert at the Hollywood Bowl in 2012, we all had to stand up for the national anthem. Very weird. I did stand up out of "solidarity", but I obviously didn't sing.

This is so alien to Norwegians (and, I assume, most European countries). I recently saw the same thing in front of the Bernie Sanders-Hillary Clinton CNN debate in New York. Even the Democratic side adhers to this patriotic nonsense. If something like this had been done in Norway, in front of an election debate, it would cause a national outrage.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Also that standing thing, the vigil, isn't it a bit of an american thing mostly?

Exactly. It feels really forced and awkward which can't possibly have been the intent.
    He should -as a German- have known better.

I don't know. It was some people who started standing up. Zimmer himself just introduced the piece and dedicated it to the city. "Together with this world band we embrace Brussels". I don't know if it was his intent that everyone got up, but yes, it was a bit corny.

Apart from that, Brussels is suffering badly since the attacks. sad
    Please come back!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Come back?
    I've never even been. Nor do I intend to.
    Horrid city, really.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, it's a great city. Not quite on the same level as some of the other Belgian cities, but still...
    I am extremely serious.