• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. More favorites coming at you! Like some of you, my first introduction to Hans Zimmer was through The Lion King when I was a kid, but his composing prowess was really cemented in my life when I first heard the score to The Rock. Since then, I've really appreciated his experimental approach to film scoring, and that his scores become more characters all their own within his films than some composers.

1) Man of Steel
    I really love this score. Some for obvious reasons, as a big Superman fan, but even without him, I still think it would be my favorite superhero score. It has a deep emotion to it and vulnerability which it such a wonderful juxtaposition to the "invincibility" that Superman has. In a film about family and duty, about belonging and loss, the music communicates that even in our insecurities, there is strength and I love that ebb and flow throughout the score. It really hits a deep emotional chord.

2) Gladiator
    Saving up my allowance for this score in high school was never money better spent! I've loved it since listening to the first few notes on my CD disc-man. What an experience it is! The haunting vocals, all of my favorite middle eastern instruments, the thundering percussion, the glimpses of hope and sadness in the themes. It's all the things a score for an epic historical drama should be. It's such a special score and beautiful storytelling.

3) The Rock
    I think this still counts even if it was a group effort. It definitely has the full Zimmer sounds and variety. Sometimes I wonder if its sound is a little dated for me now, but every time I play it, that thought gets washed away and I just thoroughly enjoy it equally the same as when I first heard it as a teen. It's such a classic and for good reason. It really showed me how "cool" film scores could be.

Runner-Up
    I was trying to have Black Hawk Down or Wonder Woman 1984 usurp The Rock's position, but just couldn't do it. My love for The Rock score is long and deep I guess! Cemented in my film music loving history. So BHD, and WW84 you'll have to be runners up this time. Also Interstellar has grown on me more and more. I still don't love the tracks with the high pitched single sound in the background, but have really been enjoying this score more in general each time I listen to it - and weirdly enough it's become more relaxing, even though the first time I heard it, it stressed me out. Hmmmm.

The rest of my collection:
    As Good As It Gets
    Backdraft
    Batman Begins
    Batman v Superman
    Beyond Rangoon
    Black Hawk Down
    Crimson Tide
    The Dark Knight
    The Da Vinci Code
    Driving Miss Daisy
    Drop Zone
    Dunkirk
    Green Card
    Hannibal
    Hidden Figures
    The Holiday
    Inception
    Interstellar
    King Arthur
    The Last Samurai
    The Lion King
    The Lone Ranger
    Madagascar
    Matchstick Men
    Nine Months
    Pearl Harbor
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    The Power of One
    The Prince of Egypt
    Rain Man
    Rush
    Sherlock Holmes
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
    Spanglish
    Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
    The Da Vinci Code
    The Thin Red Line
    Wonder Woman 1984
  2. Regarding Henry is a favourite of mine - and quite different to what I usually listen to of his. But, probably one of the scores I listen to most of his is The Ring.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I think I'll have to upload a couple of others soon :p

A League of Their Own: full score of course. Always forgotten but still to this day a breath of fresh air. It sizzles and it explodes with energy. Alongside the full score (again) of The Prince of Egypt my number 2 scores of him. I adore the original film ending with the song, but nothing beats his own take of it. With the god theme as ultimate climax at the end. Shivers, pure shivers down the spine
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Oh my gosh, I've never heard Regarding Henry, A League of Their Own OR The Ring!! Where have I been?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2022 edited
    MAN OF STEEL is a fine score, and it's great that you have it as your no. 1, Cailin. However, for my own part, I could never connect as strongly to any of his scores post-2000 as the ones before, especially the 90s stuff. Maybe it's an age thing, I don't know. I can't remember which score that made me discover him, but I know that it was before THE LION KING. Maybe DAYS OF THUNDER?

I currently have some 70 Zimmer scores in my collection -- the "keepers". I've probably removed some 20-30 other titles. I'm not a completist, just a big fan (although he's my current no. 2), and aim to have a few more.

BEYOND RANGOON stands head and shoulder above anything else he's done, in a class of its own (or a league of its own, if you will). Don't know if I should hazard a ranking, but what the hell. Maybe these as top 10:

1. BEYOND RANGOON
    2. The Rock
    3. Crimson Tide
    4. Green Card
    5. K2
    6. The Thin Red Line
    7. The Lion King
    8. Inception
    9. The Da Vinci Code
    10. Rain Man

...or something, I don't know. So many great ones that one has to leave out. Gladiator, Interstellar, Driving Miss Daisy, Thelma & Louise, Days of Thunder, Point of No Return, The House of the Spirits, Regarding Henry and so on and so forth.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    I could never connect [...] strongly to any of his scores post-2000

Me neither. smile
  6. Filmscoregirl wrote
    Oh my gosh, I've never heard Regarding Henry, A League of Their Own OR The Ring!! Where have I been?!

The Ring has a nice cello theme, it's OKAY for the horror elements.

But I'll upload my selection (not full score) of A League of Their Own Soon.
    If you count yourself to be a Zimmer connaisseur, expect to be surprised by a side you haven't heard from it AT ALL. And believe me, he nails it.

Sounds amazing in the film too
  7. I absolutely agree Beyond Rangoon is totally unique and wonderful!

And I think our age does play a significant part in our preferences or our impressionable life moments through music. I know it does for me anyway. I'm going to have to listen to Green Card again...I haven't heard that one in ages, and I see its high on your list Thor!

I've never heard of K2, what kind of score is it?
  8. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    If you count yourself to be a Zimmer connaisseur, expect to be surprised by a side you haven't heard from it AT ALL. And believe me, he nails it.

Looking forward to hearing it!
  9. I actually dig Green Card, fun and bouncy. And creative in the way he uses his synthesizers and vocals.

K2 is a score I rarely return to. Must be because of its 2 mammoth tracks. It has moments, but overall it never really connected to me.
  10. OK, this is a version I have on my computer, if you want the full score I can upload it later, but these tracks are enough to blow your mind.

A League of Their Own
  11. WOW, I was not expecting swing!
  12. And loving his highlight of the clarinet in this score, rare for him!
  13. I have never understood the love for Beyond Rangoon. It wouldn't even feature in a Hans Zimmer Top 50 if I were to put one together.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2022
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I've never heard of K2, what kind of score is it?

Gorgeous ethnic elements, which is Zimmer's best 'sound'. Part ethereal, part powerful -- beautifully curated over two long suites. I believe Chaz Jankel did the US release of the film and Zimmer the European (or the other way around, I keep forgetting). Much like the Tangerine Dream/Jerry Goldsmith situation for LEGEND. The film is great too -- ravishing mountains and survival.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2022 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have never understood the love for Beyond Rangoon. It wouldn't even feature in a Hans Zimmer Top 50 if I were to put one together.

I believe Zimmer is no fan of it himself either (or maybe that was just a rumour). For me, however, it is not only his best score, it is one of the 10 best scores ever written in the history of cinema! Can't be hyperbolic enough about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2022 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I actually dig Green Card, fun and bouncy. And creative in the way he uses his synthesizers and vocals.

I'm just totally in love with that sound. Tracks like "Pour Bronté" from that score or "Code Nina"/"Happy Birthday, Maggie" from POINT OF NO RETURN just melt me every time. Light drum kits, minor-mode melodies, "poppy" but with depth, a little dash of ethnic elements, rhythm guitar, lots of reverb. One of my favourite Zimmer sounds that are uniquely "him"; it could be nobody else.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Beyond Rangoon is really really good, though I confess I mostly return to the bookending tracks. A truly hypnotic sound Zimmer conjured for that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2022 edited
    Yeah. For me, it succeeds in two things, which is why I sometimes use it in my lectures. The first has to do with the "place" itself -- Zimmer's sounds capture the exotic locale (the palms, the river, the buzzing mosquitos, the sunsets) that Boorman is always so good at portraying. But the ethereal aspects of the music also capture the spiritual journey of the Arquette character, as she moves from the heavy trauma of the opening (her family being brutally murdered in her own home) through some sort of reconciliation, set against the backdrop of both Oriental mysticism and war-torn Burma.

That it also works as a fantastic concept album on its own (with slight hints of Vangelis, but mostly just himself) is an added bonus.

Why Zimmer would have any issues with this score, is beyond me (no pun intended). Maybe something happened in the post-production that I'm not aware of. Perhaps Pawel knows.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Filmscoregirl wrote
    WOW, I was not expecting swing!

Yep, Win the crowd is a fantastic example, a montage of sports elements, funny encounters and changes over time, mixed together on the tempo of his music.

And the Final game is amazing, the end game where you really feel the tension between the 2 sisters when they face each other on field, opposite each other for the first time (8.44 - 10.44), with the climax at 11.30 when one of the sisters drops the ball (intentionally or not, we still don't know wink )
  16. Filmscoregirl wrote
    And loving his highlight of the clarinet in this score, rare for him!

that was in the time (alongside for instance the warm Nine Months) rare examples of his orchestral side.
  17. Are we forgetting HZ's most famous clarinet of all, Driving Miss Daisy? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2023
    My review of THE CREATOR:

https://celluloidtunes.no/the-creator-hans-zimmer/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2024
    I absolutely ADORE the first of the new DUNE singles that were released a couple of days ago. The second single, not so much (it was okay). Can't wait to hear the full thing, and see the movie in one week's time.
    I am extremely serious.
  18. None of his work on DUNE has done anything for me. Looking forward to the movie though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2024
    Not even the drop-dead gorgeous love theme?
    I am extremely serious.
  19. Nope. Not really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2024 edited
    Thor wrote
    Not even the drop-dead gorgeous love theme?

That is the highlight, gets a fantastic play in the second movie, especially in the track A Time of Quiet Between the Storms.

But I prefer the first score. The second score, only the first half appeals to me, the second half is too loud.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2024 edited
    That's why you need to make playlists. I have a great 52-minute programme for the first and 45-minute for the second, weeding out some of the loudest tracks (but obviously keeping some, since it's an integral part of its DNA). They play great now.
    I am extremely serious.