• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2013 edited
    Thomas Newman was a guest this year at the festival because he was nominated two times, though he didn't win the awards. That was for Mychael Danna. But during the Meet & Greet someone from the organization said that they will do everything get Newman to return to Gent, for a concert. So perhaps next year?

Another name that is in the works already popped up during some chatting but not sure if I can tell, so I won't. Anyhow, I'm sure Thor will be back. I also appointed Lawrence to lobby to get more British people to Gent. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2013 edited
    So secretive about the other name, Bregt! I'm suspecting Danny Elfman, because I know it ain't John Williams. And other personal favs have already been there and/or have already been talked to -- Goldenthal, Zimmer, Horner, JNH. Vangelis getting a lifetime achievement award? That would have been something!

Thomas Newman is a great draw for me in any case, though.

Feel free to do a Ghent report when you're ready, Bregt.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2013
    Vangelis getting a lifetime achievement! It would be wonderful! Besides, a lifetime achievement to Michel Legrand and John Morris.

And Thomas Newman, Danny Elfman and James Horner....a dream!!!!
  1. Bregt wrote
    Thomas Newman was a guest this year at the festival because he was nominated two times, though he didn't win the awards.

Typical. rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014
    Hi,

I would like that Thomas Newman, Danny Elfman or James Horner could be in Ghent this year.

Someone knows something about who is the composer that will receive the lifetime award?

Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No information yet. Will be announced in a few months. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    Thanks. I hope great film composers!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hey, did anyone do a Ghent report for 2013 (with both film music and non-film music stuff)? I can't remember having read any...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014 edited
    I wrote one for IMFCA.
    http://filmmusiccritics.org/2013/11/ifm … ck-awards/

It was a quiet year last year. I went to Bruges with Cristian, by train. He had a field day making pictures and we also visited one of the oldest family breweries in the very center of the city (Halve Maan). The last evening we had beers with Francis, Lawrence, Thomas, ... (at the same bar were you met Iglesias).

On Sunday Cristian and I had a drink in the Ghent brewery Gruut and walked to the ruins of the abbey of St Peter.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    Someone has any clues about the next guests in Ghent?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I just think you have to be patient, kilar.

Ah yeah, Bregt, I forgot about the IFMCA report. Of course, I'm equally interested in the "extra-curricular" activities. Seems like you had a pretty good experience with the Bruges excursion.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    Yes, Thor, you are all right. It´s very soon, but I would like to know some guests to choose buying or not the flight to Brussels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    So would I, but there's nothing to do about it. We'll just have to wait.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014 edited
    On the Facebook page for the World Soundtrack Awards a first teaser will be added in a few days. More info will be announced on 7 May. There will be two concerts, one that accompanies the exhibition and of course the WSA concert.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014
    What exhibition?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Every year there's an exhibition, and often a related concert. Last year was the Scorsese Expo and the Scoring for Scorsese concert. This year will be announced on 7 May.
    Kazoo
  2. If the exhibition was about teeth, the only appropriate concert would be Jaws live to picture!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed, especially under its French name Les dents de la mer.

The second part of the concert will feature Steve Bartek's Novocaine.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's the conductors shoes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2014 edited
    I just got the teaser
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imKFLIA … e=youtu.be

I'm sure Thor will like this! wink
    Many other probably not.

Interesting guest though. Will be a special concert with new arrangements for the scores I guess.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Very cool! punk

P.S. I hope there will be a reason to have an orchestra as well biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, quite cool. I'm guessing this was who you had in mind when you said I would be interested in this year's guest, Bregt. OK, so it's not quite Danny Elfman-level cool, but still.

(btw, why can't Ghent get Elfman to come? -- he's even been on a European tour recently, for cripessakes!)
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Bregt wrote
    I just got the teaser
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imKFLIA … e=youtu.be

I'm sure Thor will like this! wink
    Many other probably not.

Interesting guest though. Will be a special concert with new arrangements for the scores I guess.

special concert yes? But who will be the main guest this? I want to know who will do the second part of the WSA
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2014 edited
    Thomas, he is the central guest at the WSA this year. I meant that the concert will be special because his music is usually electronic so there will be a lot of new arrangements.

There will be an other concert that might interest you more. :-)
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2014
    Cliff Martinez is a good composer, but I hope more composers very soon
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    For the lifetime awards?: I wish one of these composers: Ennio Morricone, John Morris, Michel Legrand, Laurence Rosenthal or Lalo Schiffrin
  4. Bregt wrote
    Thomas, he is the central guest at the WSA this year. I meant that the concert will be special because his music is usually electronic so there will be a lot of new arrangements.

There will be an other concert that might interest you more. :-)

I knew that, but I was assuming it would be the second concert he would be doing, not the line up at the WSA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, I also thought Martinez would be a separate concert, not part of the WSA. But two concerts is fine. Looking forward to the announcement next week!
    Kazoo
  5. Bregt wrote
    Yeah, I also thought Martinez would be a separate concert, not part of the WSA. But two concerts is fine. Looking forward to the announcement next week!

let's hope (for me) it's someone who I know some music off tongue